Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > The Crime Scenes

The Crime Scenes Lacking any forensic sciences as a tool,we're as well off as the contemporary detective was . That won't deter us,as we continue to investigate those scenes of madness....or calculated acts...

Old November 26th, 2017, 12:11 PM   #1
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Default House To House Search

South Wales Echo
October 18, 1888
Old November 26th, 2017, 02:55 PM   #2
Scott Nelson
Schoolyard Bully

Well, if they did find a clue they wouldn't tell the public. This is why I think the circumstantial evidence on Kosminski was kept secret.
Scott Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2018, 05:46 AM   #3
Tania Edwards

This may have been covered elsewhere so apologies, but how thorough were these house to house searches? Were they conducted more than once? Were the public notified that they would be occurring, giving the killer an opportunity to hide or dispose of any potentially incriminating evidence?

t
Tania Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2018, 11:13 AM   #4
Anna Morris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tania Edwards View Post
This may have been covered elsewhere so apologies, but how thorough were these house to house searches? Were they conducted more than once? Were the public notified that they would be occurring, giving the killer an opportunity to hide or dispose of any potentially incriminating evidence?

t
I think there was somewhat of advanced warning but someone else can probably be more specific. The papers soon picked up the subject.

That said, the reason I am replying is, in relation to your question I think the whole project, as far as finding incriminating evidence, was doomed from the start. As I understand it a large area was searched this way. It was not a military operation with extreme amounts of man power so undoubtedly door after door was knocked upon. In a large rooming house word would pass quickly what was happening. A number of buildings were searched this way and surely they were not all searched at once.

Like Scott Nelson said below, information that led to Kosminski may have someway come from these searches.

I am really poor with London geography but I think I have read they searched as far as Hanbury Street. I have a personal thought that JtR may have lived on Bethnal Green. If that would be right, the search did not go far enough. I think?
Old February 13th, 2018, 02:24 AM   #5
Adam Went
Researcher

"The greatest good feeling prevails towards the police"

Really? I was under the impression that for the most part, police in the area were not trusted and, in some cases, were thwarted in their work. If there was a good feeling and assistance rendered, perhaps it was so as to avoid becoming a 'person of interest'?

Cheers,
Adam.
Adam Went is offline   Reply With Quote