Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > JTRForums Chat Room

JTRForums Chat Room Easy and accessible way of contacting Forums members...live !

Old December 4th, 2007, 08:03 AM   #21
Brad McGinnis

Default Chatroom

Thanks for the vote of confidence How. If I didnt work nights I'd love to co-host with Tim and Vila. The old chat at Casebook hosted by Tim and set up by Graf was the best. Im sure nearly all who went there remember it fondly. It was a place not only to discuss the case but make lasting friends as well. Its passing was the end of an era and what Tim said is right when he proclaimed once, "The art of chat is dead."
Brad McGinnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 11:19 AM   #22
Vila
Writer & A Gentleman From The South

Quote:
Originally Posted by How Brown View Post
Vila:

If you would like to coordinate times or set up a trial run for the Chat Room...then you are,by the powers invested in me by the State of Intoxication....the Chat Coordinator for JTRForums.
Howard, I'm honored, but I'm going to be going back on my rotating shifts once I get off this medical leave. I won't be able to attend all the chats after that, just the ones that occur on my off-time. I'll gladly be available for tech support, so to speak, but you shouldn't put me in charge.

I'll do everything I can for the rest of the year - posting test-chat times, hanging out in the chatroom, and whatnot - but someone is going to rise from the ranks to become default Master and Commander of the chat room. Ideally, it would be Tim that you need. He's always been the best Chat Moderator that I've ever seen.

If you want structured, themed, JTR-topical chats, I nominate Tim. If you just want someone who can play sheriff and appoint deputies to kick/ban trolls while he's out of town, that I can do.

So in the interests of getting as many people as possible into the chatroom and comfortable with using it, I'm going to hang out there all day today. Chatroom testing will be open from 10 AM US EST to roughly 9 PM US EST, that's 3PM to 2AM in England, and 10 PM to 9 AM in Australia...

So the link to the java applet is:
http://www.freejavachat.com/theme.ph...Forums&theme=9 and all you have to do is pick a nickname that's 8 characters or less and type it into the "Nickname" box at that link, then click the "Connect" button. For mIRC, the server you want is: www.freejavachat.com
The port is 6667
The channel name is #JTRForums

I hope to see as many folks as possible in there over the next couple of weeks.

Vila
Old December 5th, 2007, 10:57 AM   #23
Vila

The chatroom actually works. JMenges popped in yesterday evening to check it out and we had a nice little discussion. It seems that he has a project in the works that is quite exciting. Naturally, I made a few sugestions that would complicate it tremendously. That's my purpose in life, to add needless complexity to an already complex world!

So, I'll have the chatroom open again today, and every day that I can spare until I go back to work, so folks can check it out without fear or favor.The general times will be the same as yesterday's post/

Here's a link that might be useful for everyone who needs to check out the difference between local time where you are and local time wherever everyone else is located. Atlanta is the city on the chart that is closest to myself. http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/

What I need from everyone is suggestions for a date and time for regular chats. Do we want weekly scheduled chats or monthly ones? We'll need to know what time of day works best for the largest group of people. Should I make a couple of Polls here for you to just click your votes through to me? What do YOU want to do?

Howard, you're going to have to e-mail a password to me, and add me to to the list of channel operators so that I can play bouncer and deputize other channel Ops a well.

The Java chat link is http://www.freejavachat.com/theme.ph...Forums&theme=9

Hope to see you there soon!

Vila
Old December 5th, 2007, 05:29 PM   #24
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Dan:

If you want to set a poll up or simply announce a date that is feasible for you...then go ahead with that.

Thanks for figuring out how to operate the room.

Did JMenges keep hitting the music/sci fi/computer sound buttons in the room? I do that to irritate Tim whenever we used to get in there.
Old December 5th, 2007, 06:07 PM   #25
Vila

Quote:
Originally Posted by How Brown View Post
Dan:

If you want to set a poll up or simply announce a date that is feasible for you...then go ahead with that.
I'll do that. I'd like to get feedback from as many people as possible.

Quote:
Thanks for figuring out how to operate the room.
You're welcome. But it's no big deal, really. There aren't that many variations on IRC networks. Most differences are caused by the people who actually set the network up. What sorts of bells & whistles they choose to install. I've just used lots of different chat networks in my time. I'm no expert on programming or anything - just a long-time user. When you come right down to it, chat is just like posting on a forum, only in real-time.

Quote:
Did JMenges keep hitting the music/sci fi/computer sound buttons in the room? I do that to irritate Tim whenever we used to get in there.
No, not at all. We were too busy talking to do much playing. It was fun, as well as educational.

Vila
Old January 4th, 2008, 09:00 PM   #26
Vila

I just had a look at the new Flash-based chatroom over on the Casebook. It's not bad, and is far more stable than a Java-based chatroom. It does have one feature that I *really* like: a small window at the bottom of the Casebook Forums page that tells you when someone is actually in the chat.

Also, it does not connect to *any* IRC Server Network, so it would be totally private to the website. No spammers or fly-by pests could connect to it. Those of us who prefer a dedicated chat client, as I prefer mIRC, would be out of luck and have to use the link on the Forum's page to join a chat, but that's a small price to pay for never having to worry about losing the chatroom due to denial of service attacks from a bot-net run by some lame-brained spammer.

Howard, you might want to look into this, since there hasn't been loads of reaction to setting up regular chats again here. At least that way people will know when the room is empty or occupied. Here's a link to some info that I found:
http://tufat.com/docs/flashchat/index.html

Vila
Old January 5th, 2008, 07:48 AM   #27
Mike Covell
Former Member

I dropped by there last week and bumped into Don Souden, and we had a lovely chat but everytime i go on, im in an empty room, home alone!
Mike Covell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2008, 08:25 AM   #28
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Vila:

Thanks for mentioning that feature ( whether or not people are in chat or not here ). I believe that if someone looks at the Chat Room Forum, they will see, in parentheses, if someone is perusing the room. I know I have seen numbers such as ( 2 viewing) when I look on the left hand column. I simply don't have the time to get there when I want to and when I want to,there's usually....as you stated correctly....no one there.

Maybe if a guest speaker was lined up, that would work in getting people to the room on a specific date. I don't know.

Thanks again for coming through for us, Dan and thanks for mentioning Casebook's upgrade. I had mentioned that our chat room could be used by one and all over on Casebook...and don't know if anyone ever took me up on the offer. But its good they got their mojo working.
Old January 5th, 2008, 09:24 AM   #29
WRITEFX
Former Member

In general thinking up something to say could be a problem - might work if there were specific topics.