Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > JTRForums Chat Room

JTRForums Chat Room Easy and accessible way of contacting Forums members...live !

Old March 23rd, 2008, 05:43 PM   #1
Vila
Writer & A Gentleman From The South

Default Social Chats

It has come to my attention that some Forums members are avoiding the topical JTR chats because they are sick and tired of JTR Topic-Only chats. Furthermore, these folks would be quite happy to pop into the chatroom every so often to discuss sports, current events, gossip, a new book that they've read, or just any bloody thing other than JTR. For these people I make the following promises:

1) Social chats will NEVER be posted to the Forums.
2) Anything said in ANY social chats will NEVER be made public by ME in any way, shape, or form.
3) Despite the pop-up warning that "all chats will be logged for later posting in the Forums", ONLY THE WEEKLY TOPICAL CHATS WILL BE SO LOGGED AND POSTED! I have to leave the warning in place so as to be fair to people joining the weekly scheduled chats. People have the right to be informed that others will eventually be able to read those - and only those - chat logs.
4) If a JTR-related discussion should happen to take place during a social chat, all participants will be asked for their express permission for that one instance to be quoted for posting - and ONLY the JTR-related material will be used. All social chatting will be treated as Personal, Private, and Restricted information.

With that said, I would like to establish regular social chats, from this week forward. No rules, no regulations, and no topics. The only requirement that anyone will be held to is that everyone's right to privacy is sacred and shall not be infringed upon.

Suggestions for scheduling regular social chats are welcome. Please post any suggestions that you may have as a reply to this thread. Please remember that the Casebook has social chats scheduled for Monday nights. We will not schedule social chats at that time.

Thank you for your time,

Vila
Old March 30th, 2008, 12:04 PM   #2
Vila

There have been some good posts on a variety of subjects this morning. I'm going to go ahead and open up the chatroom now in case anyone wants to natter on about the paranormal, cryptozoology, and the like before our scheduled chat time today.

Vila
Old March 30th, 2008, 12:17 PM   #3
Mike Covell
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vila View Post
There have been some good posts on a variety of subjects this morning. I'm going to go ahead and open up the chatroom now in case anyone wants to natter on about the paranormal, cryptozoology, and the like before our scheduled chat time today.

Vila
I would love to participate but I am still unable to get in!!

Any ideas would be great, it seem's my anti virus thingy won't let me download the neccasary "stuff" to get in!!!
Mike Covell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2008, 12:54 PM   #4
Vila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Covell View Post
...it seem's my anti virus thingy won't let me download the neccasary "stuff" to get in!!!
Hmmm... Without knowing what your computer is objecting to, I could only suggest going to the website you need to download from, turn off the anti-virus, download and install what you need, then turn the anti-virus back on.

Just what is it that you need to download? An update to your Flash Plug-In? A chat program? I'd love to help you out. If we could figure out how to solve your problem, perhaps we can help some of the other folks as well.

Vila
Old March 30th, 2008, 01:55 PM   #5
Mike Covell
Former Member

It says in a banner at the top when I click on the chat link that I need ActiveX, so I click on the banner, which should remove any obstacles and download but it says "Windows will not allow the download"

If you remember before Xmas, when I was on the old anti virus system it all worked ok!!

"Gremlins in the machine"
Old March 30th, 2008, 02:32 PM   #6
Vila

OK, I see. It sounds like Windows is refusing to let a non-Microsoft browser access the download.

Fire up your copy of Internet Explorer, go to the microsoft.com website downloads page and look for the activex download that you need. Windows ought to allow IE to do the download. I *always* have to switch from Mozilla to IE to get anything from Microsoft.

Vila
Old March 30th, 2008, 02:50 PM   #7
Mike Covell
Former Member

Thanks for your help, i will try it later as we are just about to go on "Air" with the podcast!!

If Howard comes out of his trailer
Old November 12th, 2008, 12:51 AM   #8
Brad McGinnis

Hi Gang. I'd like to propose a chat Thursday night, say around 8 Eastern. I want to do a gun chat. Debbie and I have been pestered by coyotes. All my guns are 30 caliber. I think I need a flat shooter. Im thinking a >223, a 243, a 264 Mag, a 270 or maybe a 25-06. I'd love some input on this. Im basicly a shooter of big rifles and smaller pistols. Coyotes are smart. I need something thats going to shoot true at 200 hundred yards plus. A 50 grain bullet or less will do the job. I just need some imput on light calibers. Thanks, Brad
Brad McGinnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2009, 04:59 PM   #9
Lyn Resthal
Southern Belle

Default Chat Room Reunion

We've all been busy with one thing or another, but that's really no excuse for any of us to ignore our chat room completely. Much of what is now called Ripperology began as the result of fellow minds getting together to chat on a regular basis.

Let's not forget real time chat, a chance to be on or off topic, catch up with each other and discuss one's day or one's thoughts about the Whitechapel murders.

Open all hours.
Lyn Resthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2009, 05:39 PM   #10
Vila

Lyn and I are haunting the chatroom right now, but I'm going to tempt her into going into the living room and watching yesterday's new Doctor Who episode sometime later this evening.

Will anyone besides Tim (with his usual "Chat is dead..." pronouncement dein to show up before we get bored and leave? Only time will tell.

Vila