Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Critics Corner + Opinion Central > Points To Ponder

Points To Ponder A forum filled with rehashed ideas, overlooked & often original theories, and newspaper articles from days gone by.

Old November 5th, 2017, 09:11 AM   #1
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Default Point To Ponder : Death By Blood Poison ?

http://www.murderbygaslight.com/2017...ends-work.html

Could the Ripper have suffered a similar fate after the Eddowes murder by becoming too on-hands with the blade ?

From Robert Wilhelm's Murder By Gaslight site....

Birdie Baugh, the 20-year-old daughter of C. C. Baugh, was much admired in the town of Alliance, Ohio. She was ďa handsome girl of pleasant, winsome ways,Ē and quite accomplished for an Ohio farmerís daughter as a student of the music conservatory of Mt. Union College. The family had a large farmhouse outside of Alliance where Birdie lived with her parents, her younger brothers Herman and Garfield, her uncle Thomas, and a farm hand named Curt Davidson.

Mr. and Mrs. Baugh went to visit some friends in Pennsylvania, on November 14, 1893, leaving the rest of the household alone. Curt Davidson had gone out that night and at 10:00 he had still not come back. This was odd because he was usually in the house much earlier, but his behavior was known to be somewhat eccentric. Birdie told her uncle and brothers that they could go to bed, she would wait for Davidson and close up the house after he came in. She was* exasperated with Davidson and said she wished her father would fire him.

It was not the first time Birdie had expressed this sentiment. 40-year-old Curt Davidson was gruff and surly and did not hide the fact that he had become infatuated with Birdie Baugh. She did not return his affections and after repeatedly fighting off Davidsonís advances she had asked her father to get rid of him.

When the boys awoke the morning of November 15, they found that Birdie had not gone to bed the night before. In the kitchen, they found signs of a struggle, a pool of blood on the floor, and bloody footprints leading outside toward the barn. On the floor of the barn, they found Birdies body. Her skull had been crushed and her face and throat had been slashed with a razor. Later, a post-mortem examination would determine that she had been ravished as well; it was unclear whether this occurred before or after her death.

The neighbors were alerted, and a search began for Curt Davidson. They found him lying near a near a neighborís barn about a quarter mile away. He also had a gash across his throat. The wound was self-inflicted, the bloody razor still in his hand as he lay unconscious.

Davidson regained consciousness while in police custody. He denied any knowledge of the crime, saying he had been in bed all night. He got up at 5:00 and met a man who was drunk. They quarreled, and the man slashed his throat. But Davidson's bed had not been slept in, and the razor was his own.

As the news of the murder spread through Alliance, men were calling for vengeance and a lynch mob gathered around the jail. A physician addressed the crowd saying that Davidson was near death and not worth lynching, but he was not believed and his words did nothing to reduce their anger. Neither did the arrival of Company K, Eighth Regiment of the Ohio National Guard, ordered to Alliance for Davidsonís protection.

Under a strong military guard, Davidson was loaded onto a train and taken to Canton, Ohio. He did not last long in Canton, on December 4, Davidson died from blood poisoning as a result of his wound.
Old November 5th, 2017, 11:08 AM   #2
Anna Morris

I have seen that idea suggested in passing before.Why the bloody apron piece, did he cut himself? Blood and guts...blood poisoning...?

I think if the killer got deadly blood poisoning from the Eddowes murder we would have to rule him out as the killer of MJK. There is over a month between the crimes and even if the killer survived over a month with a festering hand, if it was sufficient to kill him at some point I do not think he would have been well enough to commit the Kelly murder. By that time also I believe such a wound would have been noticeable and probably would have had a bad smell.

Another thought could be that he injured himself with Eddowes and had a very sore, infected hand for a month or so and when he resumed killing he was extra angry with whores or women or however his mind worked, and that explains the horrible destruction of Mary Kelly. Surely if the killer had injured himself during a murder he would have blamed the victim for enticing him or something.
Old November 5th, 2017, 07:26 PM   #3
Phillip Walton
Researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Morris View Post
I have seen that idea suggested in passing before.Why the bloody apron piece, did he cut himself? Blood and guts...blood poisoning...?

I think if the killer got deadly blood poisoning from the Eddowes murder we would have to rule him out as the killer of MJK. There is over a month between the crimes and even if the killer survived over a month with a festering hand, if it was sufficient to kill him at some point I do not think he would have been well enough to commit the Kelly murder. By that time also I believe such a wound would have been noticeable and probably would have had a bad smell.

Another thought could be that he injured himself with Eddowes and had a very sore, infected hand for a month or so and when he resumed killing he was extra angry with whores or women or however his mind worked, and that explains the horrible destruction of Mary Kelly. Surely if the killer had injured himself during a murder he would have blamed the victim for enticing him or something.
I think that MJK could have been possibly murdered by Joe Barnett with the help of George Hutchinson. The statements/evidence given by both men seem to be too good to be true. Barnett could have done the deed with Hutchinson acting as lookout.
Phillip Walton is offline   Reply With Quote