Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Board Announcements > In Memoriam > Donald Souden

Old August 15th, 2017, 10:16 PM   #1
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Default Don Souden's Obituary

I must admit I am astounded that Supe was 75 years old when he passed away. I thought he was closer to my age or slightly older. He was a Jersey boy too....

New Canaan Advertiser
New Canaan, Connecticut
August 3, 2017
Section: News
Page: A6

Donald Souden, 75: Former Advertiser editor, local sports and history buff

New Canaan Advertiser former sports editor and history columnist Donald O. Souden died from heart failure on July 30, 2017 in Southport, Conn. He was 75. He had suffered a stroke years ago.
He lived most of his life in New Canaan after his family moved here in 1957, and would have wanted to be remembered for “providing positive contributions to the town,” said his brother Alexander W. ‘Sandy’ Souden.
Donald Souden was born on Oct. 21, 1941 in Summit, N.J., the son of Alexander G. Souden and Janet Margaret Ogilvie Souden. He is survived by his brother Sandy and his sister Alison Christie Garza. He was predeceased by his sister Ellen Souden and his parents.
Souden graduated from New Canaan High School, Class of 1960, and Columbia University, before going on to earning a Ph.D. in history from Boston University.
He was a teacher while he was studying at B.U., and much of his career was as a freelance writer and author.
Advertiser Publisher Emeritus Donald Hersam said of Souden: “He came to us as our sports writer and offered a sports commentary called Keeping Score. HIs writings were interesting with detailed knowledge of the individuals. He was highly regarded by high school and local sports teams for his reports. He had a photographic memory about individuals and their teams, and in conversations he could resurrect detailed accounts from 40 or 50 years ago.”
Souden loved historic preservation, Hersam said, and he later wrote a general column for the Advertiser called 100 Years Ago. He was also a contributing writer to the New Canaan Gridiron Club and a mystery writer known to contribute to Ripperology, a society of Jack the Ripper story followers.
Local athletics, though, was Don “Supe” Souden’s first love, said his longtime friend Mark “250” Rearick, who called Supe “the smartest guy I ever knew.”
Souden was the unofficial historian of New Canaan High School sports; he established the Fairfield County Striders track and field club that attracted Olympic-caliber athletes to this area; he co-founded the Chicken Street men’s softball team; and he was a governor of the Stamford Summer Hockey League for college players. He also enjoyed being assistant coach for 250’s Babe Ruth baseball team.
Souden’s contributions to New Canaan extended to being a member of the New Canaan Historical Society and assisting productions of the Town Players of New Canaan,
Memorial contributions may be made to the New Canaan Historical Society, 13 Oenoke Ridge Road, New Canaan, CT 06840.
Old August 16th, 2017, 05:29 AM   #2
Robert Linford
Researcher Extraordinaire

I seem to remember Don had a profile pic a few years ago, showing a very young man with long black hair.
Robert Linford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2017, 06:00 AM   #3
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

I remember it too Bob
Old August 16th, 2017, 06:00 AM   #4
Sam Flynn
Owl Catcher

It's good to see that Don made such a wide and varied contribution to his community, as he did to ours. An erudite man of many talents, and unassuming with it; I had no idea that he was a PhD, but I'm not surprised that he was.

"Suche Nullen"
(F. Nietzsche)

Sam Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2017, 06:13 AM   #5
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Gareth

Hand on my heart, I just came in from outside and had mentioned that to Nina...about Supe having a PhD. Its news to me/us too....not two minutes ago.
Old August 23rd, 2017, 05:48 AM   #6
Adam Went
Researcher

I remember the same photo Robert mentioned, never would have picked Don to have been 75 by now. I genuinely thought he was much younger.

R.I.P.

Cheers,
Adam.
Adam Went is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2017, 01:08 PM   #7
Chris G.

Sorry to hear the news. Don was a good guy to work with when we were both on the staff of Ripperologist. May he rest in peace.

Don Souden addressing the 2007 Wolverhampton conference on the Myths of the Ripper case. Photograph by Alan Sharp on Flickr.
For info about RipperCon in Baltimore, MD,
April 7-8, 2018, go to http://rippercon.com/
Chris G. is offline   Reply With Quote