Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Editorials

Editorials Setting the record straight when and where necessary

Old April 8th, 2017, 07:36 PM   #31
String
innocent bystander & former captionmeister

Just have to be a bit careful on language used in debunking. Some may be genuinely mistaken and we don't want a blogger owning Howards house.
String is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2017, 08:21 PM   #32
Anna Morris

Quote:
Originally Posted by String View Post
Just have to be a bit careful on language used in debunking. Some may be genuinely mistaken and we don't want a blogger owning Howards house.
I think it could be tastefully handled in an upbeat manner.

"This picture, located on a Pinterest site, has been labelled as the only known picture of MJK...."

"This picture was originally printed in ______ , by _____ and the author identifies it as a picture of ________."

"To this date no known pictures of MJK have surfaced and even her identity is still questioned by many as no known family came forward at the time of her death..."

"Therefore we have to content ourselves with several contemporary drawings.....here, here and here..."

It can all just be a discussion with a bit of education tacked on. We can all participate and keep it mistake free. Personally, my writing is full of words like, "I think", "I believe", "in my opinion", "as I understand it", "according to", etc. That's a journalistic way to express opinion and avoid libel, as well as own your opinions, ideas, etc.

I think a lot of the erroneous things can be found on Pinterest which is a rabbit warren of ideas that get passed around. That's a great fishing ground for errors. Nobody would know where anything was snagged from if it was clipped and posted somewhere else, IMO. (Unless it was an original work but there isn't a lot that's original on Pinterest.)

I have been fortunate to be involved in a couple other forums online which held high standards and in those subjects also, dedicated writers and researchers worked to correct erroneous stuff floating around. I was so very fortunate to start my internet interactions with Bruce Long's Taylorology. (Who killed William Desmond Taylor?) Bruce has high standards and I have learned so much and I am eternally grateful to him.