Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Upcoming Events In Ripperology

Upcoming Events In Ripperology From books to films, individual projects to Conventions...all events in the near future in the world of Ripper research and of interest to the community.

Old September 7th, 2017, 06:34 AM   #81
Mr. Poster
Twit

And in this interview, the angle seems to be that apart from the smell, the body was actually not so bad at all.

Can you explain your testing process. And did the remains make for easy DNA extraction?

We did not test the DNA, we sent it to King’s College in London. Ancient DNA [more than 10 years old] is a very specific method and only a few labs [in the world] will do it.

Did the sample’s condition surprise you when you came upon it?​

The grave was full of water and the remains were only part-decomposed. We had known that was a possibility but we were hoping for just a skeleton or maybe a mummy. The remains were in good shape but it was very wet and smelly, so not ideal conditions to work under.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/pe...-20170907.html

The remains being in good shape hardly accords with ""Once it gets to that point we can't do anything with it. We can't test it, can't get any DNA out of it." "

P
"Chance hasn't yet peached on Jack the Ripper.If she ever does, it will probably be cause for grotesque disappointment among the Ripperologists, who get as much joy from attacking one another's lunacies, as from any problems originally posed by the Whitechapel murderer" R. Gowers, The Independant, Saturday, 31 December 1994
Mr. Poster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2017, 12:26 PM   #82
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

All 8 episodes

https://series-top.com/show/american-ripper

Or.............

http://projectfreetv.bz/american-ripper/
Old September 28th, 2017, 03:31 AM   #83
Mr. Poster
Twit

Hi ho

I caught half an episode of this yesterday.

A bit where Kings College had tested a shawl "fragment" (is this a fragment of the Edwards shawl or another one?) for DNA and discovered that (as I understood it) 95% of the DNA on the shawl was from one man?

I wonder did Edwards or Louhelainen ever get in touch with them to see if their DNA matched in anyway?

The forensic artist or whatever she is.... that was just so ridiculous it wasnt funny.

The two "forensic linguistic" chaps who analysed the letters - I thought that was somewhat interesting if, in the context of showing Holmes wrote the letters, a little unconvincing.....

Would love for those two...with access to the tools they have as opposed to Google Books... to have a look at the diary text.

I dont think Holmes is a good suspect and I am in eternal despair at the sh!te History Channel manages to churn out ..... but its hard not be 1) jealous at the resources they bring to bear, and 2) intrigued by what these experts and resources could do for other aspects of Ripperology.

We can scoff at such programmes all we want....but they do seem to have access to things which could provide interesting information on other bitsof the matter that might be more interesting than Holmes.

P
"Chance hasn't yet peached on Jack the Ripper.If she ever does, it will probably be cause for grotesque disappointment among the Ripperologists, who get as much joy from attacking one another's lunacies, as from any problems originally posed by the Whitechapel murderer" R. Gowers, The Independant, Saturday, 31 December 1994
Old September 28th, 2017, 08:56 AM   #84
Paul Butler
Who?

We can scoff at such programmes all we want....but they do seem to have access to things which could provide interesting information on other bitsof the matter that might be more interesting than Holmes.

I've often thought the same about Cornwell and her millions. If only they were spent on something more worthwhile.

(Getting any sort of consensus as to what might be worthwhile would be another matter entirely of course.)
Paul Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2017, 06:51 PM   #85
Dusty Miller
just curious

>>... where Kings College had tested a shawl "fragment" (is this a fragment of the Edwards shawl or another one?) for DNA and discovered that (as I understood it) 95% of the DNA on the shawl was from one man?<<

That was Andy and Sue Parlour's shawl fragment, that was the subject of their book with Kevin O'Donnell many years ago, linking Gull to the murders.

And yes, it is supposed to be the from he same shawl.
Old September 29th, 2017, 03:44 AM   #86
Paul

In 1988, descendants of PC Amos Simpson framed two pieces cut from the shawl now owned by Russell Edwards. They were displayed, first in a video shop in Thetford, Norfolk, and then in a Clacton antique dealer’s. On the back of the frame is the inscription:
Two silk samples taken from Catherine Eddowes’ shawl at the time of the discovery of her body by Constable Amos Simpson in 1888 (end of September) victim of Jack the Ripper.
Arabella Vincent (Fine Art)
Hand-made Illustrated Mounts UK Studio, Tel Clacton – Surface printed silk
Circa 1886.
Framed 100 years to the day. Vincent.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2017, 03:58 AM   #87
Mr. Poster
Twit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
In 1988, descendants of PC Amos Simpson framed two pieces cut from the shawl now owned by Russell Edwards. They were displayed, first in a video shop in Thetford, Norfolk, and then in a Clacton antique dealer’s. On the back of the frame is the inscription:
Two silk samples taken from Catherine Eddowes’ shawl at the time of the discovery of her body by Constable Amos Simpson in 1888 (end of September) victim of Jack the Ripper.
Arabella Vincent (Fine Art)
Hand-made Illustrated Mounts UK Studio, Tel Clacton – Surface printed silk
Circa 1886.
Framed 100 years to the day. Vincent.
I did not know that.

I wonder who exactly is the owner of the dominant male DNA (it seemed very dominant, as in one person) is? PC Amos? Someone who worked at the framers?

Its a real pity it wasnt compared to the Louhelainen results on Edwards shawl.

P
Old September 29th, 2017, 06:26 AM   #88
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Poster View Post
I did not know that.

I wonder who exactly is the owner of the dominant male DNA (it seemed very dominant, as in one person) is? PC Amos? Someone who worked at the framers?

Its a real pity it wasnt compared to the Louhelainen results on Edwards shawl.

P
One could always ask the programme maker, but they probably wouldn't have known would they? They found the DNA belonging to one person, but I don't recall that it was tested against a descendant of Amos Simpson, or anyone else for that matter.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2017, 06:42 AM   #89
Mr. Poster
Twit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
One could always ask the programme maker, but they probably wouldn't have known would they? They found the DNA belonging to one person, but I don't recall that it was tested against a descendant of Amos Simpson, or anyone else for that matter.
It was tested against the Mudgett character only so beyond it being a match to him or not, nothing was done.

I guess those results remain on a Kings College database. Edwards or Louhelainen would presumably have to contact them to see if a comparison between the shawl and its fragments could be made with respect to what DNA was found on them.

And then it would only tell if it was a match between whoever was on Edwards shawl and who was on the Parlour shawl.

p