Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > American Experience

Old January 20th, 2018, 09:51 AM   #1
Chris G.

Default U.S. Government Shutdown

The great, self-declared "Dealmaker" Donald J. Trump has failed to broker a deal to keep the U.S. Government from shutting down. Unbelievable. Here are a few pertinent comments on Twitter.

Stephen King‏ @stephenking ∑ 56m56 minutes ago

Even with majorities in the House and Senate, Blabbermouth Don was unable to broker a deal to keep the government running. He is hopelessly out of his depth. Ineptitude, thy name is Trump. #TrumpShutdown

Jason Kander‏ @jasonkander ∑ 19h19 hours ago

The President said he was going to run America like his businesses. Apparently we have reached the part where he would usually just declare bankruptcy and run away. #TrumpShutdown

Christopher T George‏ @cthompsongeorge ∑ 18h18 hours ago

Replying to @thehill

The United States likes to see itself as the leading country in the world. Given that reality it's both bizarre and ridiculous "government shutdowns" are allowed to happen in this greatest nation on the earth -- suitable to a tinpot third world power! @morning_Joe @georgetakei
April 7-8, 2018, go to http://rippercon.com/[/URL]
2 days of talks & 2 days of tours, April 6 to April 9!
Places still available.
Don't Miss Out on the Only North American
Conference on the Whitechapel Murders
in the 130th Anniversary Year of the Crimes
Chris G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2018, 10:13 AM   #2
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

No dog in the fight, so to speak, but where was the indignation towards Obama when he was in charge in 2013 and the Government was shut down for 17 days ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...utdown_of_2013

Actually, its not 'unbelievable'. There were two shutdowns ( 1995 and 1996 ) under Clinton and one under Bush, Sr in 1990.
Old January 20th, 2018, 11:47 AM   #3
Robert Linford
Researcher Extraordinaire

If the Government isn't functioning, just make sure no Govt members are collecting their salaries.
Robert Linford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2018, 11:58 AM   #4
Chris G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Brown View Post
No dog in the fight, so to speak, but where was the indignation towards Obama when he was in charge in 2013 and the Government was shut down for 17 days ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...utdown_of_2013

Actually, its not 'unbelievable'. There were two shutdowns ( 1995 and 1996 ) under Clinton and one under Bush, Sr in 1990.
Hi Howard

I have no dog in the fight either mate. I voted for Obama but the 2013 Government Shutdown cost me. We were supposed to hold our National War of 1812 Symposium that year at Fort McHenry in Baltimore, a National Park Service property, indeed, if you will, given that it is associated with the writing of the Star-Spangled Banner, a National Historic SHRINE. But because we were unable to hold it there, I had to hold the vent a U.S. Marines facility run by former U.S. Marines on Fort Avenue near Fort McHenry and had to pay for rental of the bloody facility.

Cheers

Chris
Places still available.
Old January 20th, 2018, 11:59 AM   #5
Anna Morris

A first, off the top of my head comment that comes to mind is that parliamentary governments can be completely changed over a crisis. I have read that there would have been such a crisis and change of government in England if Edward VIII had insisted on marrying Mrs. Simpson and remaining king. I never understood how that situation would create a constitutional crisis.

Government shutdown may be what we do periodically instead of changing the whole government. We have no mechanism for changing the whole government at one time. (That may or may not be an ignorant statement but I think my general meaning is clear.)
Old January 20th, 2018, 12:01 PM   #6
Chris G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Linford View Post
If the Government isn't functioning, just make sure no Govt members are collecting their salaries.
I wasn't sure whether the U.S. Postal Service would be working today. I had a package to send to the UK as part of the RipperCon trivia giveaway and wasn't sure I would be able to mail it. As it turned out, the Post Office is open. It's just that the postal workers will not be paid until the Government Shutdown is resolved.

I wonder how many Postal Workers and other government workers who voted for Trump in 2016 might think twice about voting for him again?
Places still available.
Old January 20th, 2018, 01:21 PM   #7
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

I wonder how many Postal Workers and other government workers who voted for Trump in 2016 might think twice about voting for him again?
-CG-

Probably the same number in 2013 who thought twice about voting for Obama again, CG.

I don't understand how conservatives ( anti-abortion, anti-reduced sentences for drug possession, and a hundred other things ) think and I really don't want to know. At the same time, I don't understand how liberals cannot see the double standards they follow when it comes to castigating one politician for something their cause celebre' ( Obama or Clinton ) were guilty of as well.

Tough being a moderate anymore.
Old January 20th, 2018, 01:31 PM   #8
Kattrup
Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Brown View Post
Isnít the difference that Trump has a majority, neither Clinton nor Obama did.
Kattrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2018, 02:01 PM   #9
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Kattrup:

Because of divisions within the Republican Party, hopes for a deal depended on a bipartisan solution. These hopes were dashed, however, when Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer encouraged Democrats to reject House Paul Ryan's bipartisan deal to fund CHIP and the rest of the federal government
Old January 20th, 2018, 02:03 PM   #10
Anna Morris

Looks like the government shutdown has a lot to do with immigration. The short comments in various places have been naming immigration but I wanted to look at various sides. The clip below seems to explain it pretty good.

Most of the western world seems to have immigration problems at this time. I believe at some time governments must say, jobs for citizens first, then discuss guest workers. I have been trying to understand immigration for a long time and even started a Point to Ponder here, why in 1888 the likes of Joe Barnett and George Hutchinson were walking the streets looking for any kind of work while the Dutch Morgenstern brothers were doing fine with steady jobs as gas stokers. (This simple question does not even take into account immigration from political pressures, east European Jews in 1888 London.)

For many years I lived in a state that promised many entry level/ uneducated jobs to foreign workers, legal and illegal. Citizens are unemployed. Social programmes are strong. Citizens have a sense of defeat when it comes to jobs. (No wonder young people demand free college. Few if any teens ever have after school jobs, summer jobs, etc. Immigrants have those beginner jobs that could provide savings for education.)

Deferred Action on Childhood Arrivals, DACA, concerns around 700,000 individuals who were brought here illegally by their parents. To legalize these "kids" affects our constitutional rule of law. My original position on this was, go ahead and legalize the "kids" who knew nothing but life in this country and kick out their families. My political adviser explained how this undermines the law.

A further issue with DACA is chain immigration meaning extended families become eligible for citizenship.

I agree with President Reagan who said the best social program is a job. I lived for many years in one of the poorest corners of the U.S. and I also did volunteer charity work. There is general defeatism, depression and hopelessness. This fuels the various drug "epidemics". My former state shoots itself in both feet and then cries for more government money. The people are the pawns in power politics. Employers want cheap workers. Government revels in dependency. Political parties need helpless people to vote for more benefits. No wonder drug and alcohol abuse become the activities of citizens no one wants to hire!

Perhaps the best solution to the government shutdown would be for President Trump to drop the request for $18B for "The Wall" in return for ending the DACA program. If we follow our laws a physical wall is not needed. Better yet, how about a few billion dollars aimed at job training and employing U.S. citizens?
Attached Images