Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Motives and Reasons > 11. Political and/or Ideological

11. Political and/or Ideological “For the JDL leader Meir Kahane and his many fervent followers, any and all measures to further Jewish survival and welfare - including terror, dispossession, and murder - are entirely justified.” - Mark Weber

Old November 14th, 2013, 10:38 AM   #1
Debra Arif
Sausage brain

Default P J Tynan identification as "No. 1"

I don't know if anyone else will find this interesting; I recently came across an article in an 1896 photographic magazine describing how the identification of Tynan as 'No. 1', (relating to Phoenix Park and the Invincibles) came about as a result of information received by a Peckham photographer named Hemery that Tynan had been a regular client of :

Name:  tynan3.JPG
Views: 84
Size:  24.8 KB
Name:  tynan4.JPG
Size:  35.2 KB

As some corroboration of this, I came across a photograph of Tynan and his daughter, registered for copyright in 1883. The photographer was Hemery, taken at his studio in Peckham:

Name:  tynan 1.JPG
Size:  30.6 KB
Name:  tynan 2.JPG
Views: 77
Size:  71.9 KB

sorry-photobucket doesn't seem to be working correctly at present and the images are appearing as links only.
Debra Arif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2013, 01:53 PM   #2
Lynn Cates
Researcher & Author

Default #1

Hello Debs. Thanks for posting this.

There is an old story that an unknown photo was marked "exhibit one." Jim Carey was asked, "Whom is number one?" He looked at the photo and said "Tynan." Hence, #1.

The lads at the Castle seemed to think Captain McCafferty was number one. Know anything about that?

Cheers.
LC
Lynn Cates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2013, 02:31 PM   #3
Debra Arif
Sausage brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Cates View Post
Hello Debs. Thanks for posting this.

There is an old story that an unknown photo was marked "exhibit one." Jim Carey was asked, "Whom is number one?" He looked at the photo and said "Tynan." Hence, #1.

The lads at the Castle seemed to think Captain McCafferty was number one. Know anything about that?

Cheers.
LC
Hi Lyn,

Thanks.I'd not heard that story. I remember reading somewhere that Carey identified Tynan from the 'Westminster Volunteers' photograph that the photographer Hemery mentions in the article.

I haven't been able to find anything McCafferty related as yet. Is it true that this was not his real name and the reason he doesn't appear on muster rolls, despite having a military career at some point? I'm writing from memory so can't remember the exact details about his time in uniform.
Old November 14th, 2013, 03:25 PM   #4
Chris G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra Arif View Post
I don't know if anyone else will find this interesting; I recently came across an article in an 1896 photographic magazine describing how the identification of Tynan as 'No. 1', (relating to Phoenix Park and the Invincibles) came about as a result of information received by a Peckham photographer named Hemery that Tynan had been a regular client of :

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j2...806/tynan3.jpg
It states on the copyright attestation:

"The portraits were taken about ten days before the dreadful event in Phoenix Park, and it seems evident that the man, at any rate, desired that all his family should have that memento of him in the event of his being caught and condemned for the crime so soon to be committed."

In fact, I have read that suicide terrorists in our day have done the same thing -- had their portraits taken before the fatal act. And I believe the Kamikaze pilots of World War II would have a final portrait taken as well.

Best regards

Chris
For info about RipperCon in Baltimore, MD,
April 7-8, 2018, go to http://rippercon.com/
Chris G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2013, 07:17 AM   #5
Lynn Cates
Researcher & Author

Default McCafferty

Hello Debs. Thanks.

Captain McCafferty seems to have been born in Ohio, but he fought on the side of the confederacy in the War Between the States.

My Ancestry search was largely unsuccessful.

Cheers.
LC
Old November 15th, 2013, 07:21 AM   #6
Lynn Cates
Researcher & Author

Default Phoenix Park

Hello Chris. Thanks for the information.

Was Tynan in London when Phoenix Park happened?

Cheers.
LC
Old November 15th, 2013, 07:32 AM   #7
Debra Arif
Sausage brain

Quote:
Hello Chris. Thanks for the information.

Was Tynan in London when Phoenix Park happened?

Cheers.
LC
Lynn, in the article I linked to (it's not part of the actual attestation, Chris. It's an 1896 article from a photography magazine. I posted the 1883 copyright attestation and photo as part corroboration for that story) the photographer says Tynan was in Dublin on May 6th, which was part of what roused his suspicions.
Old November 15th, 2013, 10:44 AM   #8
Chris G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra Arif View Post
Lynn, in the article I linked to (it's not part of the actual attestation, Chris. It's an 1896 article from a photography magazine. I posted the 1883 copyright attestation and photo as part corroboration for that story) the photographer says Tynan was in Dublin on May 6th, which was part of what roused his suspicions.
Thanks for that clarification, Debs.

Chris
For info about RipperCon in Baltimore, MD,
April 7-8, 2018, go to http://rippercon.com/
Chris G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2013, 06:40 PM   #9
Debra Arif
Sausage brain

Quote:
Hello Debs. Thanks.

Captain McCafferty seems to have been born in Ohio, but he fought on the side of the confederacy in the War Between the States.

My Ancestry search was largely unsuccessful.

Cheers.
LC
There's no McCafferty listed in the American suspects register but Tynan is there and described as No.1 (in Dublin)
Old November 15th, 2013, 07:06 PM   #10
Lynn Cates
Researcher & Author

Default Tynan

Hello Debs. Thanks.

Zounds, May 6--I had no idea.

I take it you have read Tynan's book? If not, I can send my copy.

Cheers.
LC