Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Critics Corner + Opinion Central > Points To Ponder

Points To Ponder A forum filled with rehashed ideas, overlooked & often original theories, and newspaper articles from days gone by.

Old April 24th, 2017, 05:57 AM   #11
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Gary
Didn't know that....

Jon
Thanks for the reply....
Old April 24th, 2017, 06:15 AM   #12
Gary Barnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Brown View Post
Gary
Didn't know that....

Jon
Thanks for the reply....
Hi How,

Obviously the Lechmere reference was tongue-in-cheek, but according to Booth's researcher in June, 1887, the occupier of 36, Berner Street was a railway carman who had 'been laid up for some time'. William Mortimer died in March, 1889, aged 49, so he may well have been chronically ill between 87 and 89.

Gary
Gary Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2017, 06:22 AM   #13
Gary Barnett

Just thinking aloud here.

There was a woman identified by Booth's researcher as an 'unfortunate' who, to paraphrase his comment, was not plying her trade herself, but cleaned the rooms of other unfortunates. Given that there was still a tiny residue of Tiger Bay in Brunswick Street, I wonder if something similar obtained there?
Old April 24th, 2017, 01:13 PM   #14
Gary Barnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Barnett View Post
Just thinking aloud here.

There was a woman identified by Booth's researcher as an 'unfortunate' who, to paraphrase his comment, was not plying her trade herself, but cleaned the rooms of other unfortunates. Given that there was still a tiny residue of Tiger Bay in Brunswick Street, I wonder if something similar obtained there?
The friend of Liz Stride who was interviewed by a Daily News reporter in Tiger Bay had this to say:

'I gets my living among 'em (prostitutes),' continued the woman with Frank communicativeness - ' not them as lives at the lodging-houses like her,' she explained; 'there ain't much to be got out of them, but the regular respectable ones. I does charing for them and lor bless you they just are scared. "I shall turn it up," they says. But then, as I says, what have they got to turn to?'
Old Yesterday, 12:08 AM   #15
Adam Went
Researcher

At the risk of spouting off again on an old theory of mine, I think the approach of Schwartz's suspect makes it even more likely that the second man he described, 'Pipeman', was the killer. I do believe Liz was a victim of Jack the Ripper, but not at the hands of the drunken public abuser Schwartz described.

Cheers,
Adam.
Adam Went is offline   Reply With Quote