Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > The American Way

Old April 15th, 2017, 07:59 PM   #21
Adam Went
Researcher

Whatever the case, United was always going to cop it because we live in 2017, where everybody is armed with a mobile phone that has camera and video, a social media feed and is a vigilante. If this had happened 30 or even 20 years ago, nobody would of batted an eyelid. It would barely have been a ripple in the ocean. But because it's 2017, these things spread like wildfire.

Personally I think the situation has been handled very poorly by United, but I also agree that it's worthwhile knowing the entire story rather than just a few seconds of footage.

Cheers,
Adam.
Adam Went is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2017, 04:57 AM   #22
String
innocent bystander & former captionmeister

I was watching an episode of Pawn Stars yesterday, for those unfamiliar it's a tv programme about a family run pawn brokers in Las Vegas. They get everything in there and it's quite a good programme.
A spoon came in that may or may not have been salvaged from the Hindenburg disaster. Asked my two Granddaughters about it, never heard of it of course. Apparently it was the first disaster recorded on film, without that famous film the Hindenburg would really be a few lines in a history book.
Other disasters would be the same, the Kennedy assassination, without those famous films, the Boxing Day Tsunami, the twin towers in New York would have much less impact on future generations.
Now I'm not comparing this guy getting dragged of a plane to those but as Adam says if the cameras weren't there this plane case would have been dismissed and the other events much less memorable.
People carrying cameras/video cameras everywhere is a great thing. Keeps the coppers straight and catches some bad guys. Pity we didn't have them in Victorian times or even use what they did have more, GSG.
String is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2017, 10:55 AM   #23
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Now I'm not comparing this guy getting dragged of a plane to those but as Adam says if the cameras weren't there this plane case would have been dismissed and the other events much less memorable.

Not necessarily, String.
With or without the camera, there were a lot of people on the flight who the man could have used as witnesses, should he decide to do so.
Was he dragged ? Sure. We see it occur.
Its memorable to people in different ways.
One, the automatic knee jerk that this guy was bum rushed, jacked up, and dragged off the plane without the slightest bit of provocation on his part.
The other, more hesitant response, is to wait and see ALL of what transpired prior to the man being dragged.