Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > On The Front Burner

On The Front Burner News & Events which are of importance to the modern Ripper researcher.

Old April 18th, 2017, 04:26 PM   #201
Tom_Wescott
Researcher and Award Winning Author

One thing I haven't look at yet but am curious about is WHEN Fanny Mortimer and her husband took up at their address, since Aaron Kozminski live there in (IIRC) 1868. The Mortimers also took in Polish immigrants as boarders.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
Tom_Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2017, 06:13 PM   #202
Gary Barnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
One thing I haven't look at yet but am curious about is WHEN Fanny Mortimer and her husband took up at their address, since Aaron Kozminski live there in (IIRC) 1868. The Mortimers also took in Polish immigrants as boarders.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
Tom,

According to Booth, the occupant of 36 BS in June, 1887 was a non-Jewish Railway Carman who had 2 school age children and who had been 'laid up for some time'.

There is another entry against 36, but it simply states 'U', which most probably stands for unoccupied, suggesting the carman and his family did not occupy the whole house.

I'm fairly new to the Booth STGITE stuff, and I haven't yet got my head around all the initials/abbreviations.

Gary
Gary Barnett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2017, 06:16 PM   #203
Tom_Wescott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Barnett View Post
Tom,

According to Booth, the occupant of 36 BS in June, 1887 was a non-Jewish Railway Carman who had 2 school age children and who had been 'laid up for some time'.

There is another entry against 36, but it simply states 'U', which most probably stands for unoccupied, suggesting the carman and his family did not occupy the whole house.

I'm fairly new to the Booth STGITE stuff, and I haven't yet got my head around all the initials/abbreviations.

Gary
My memory for such things is terrible, but I seem to recall that the Mortimers were at that address in the 1870s? I'll need to check my notes.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
Old April 18th, 2017, 06:29 PM   #204
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Tommy, Gary...that the Kosminskis lived in The Mortimer crib at one time is news to me. Thanks !
Old April 18th, 2017, 07:05 PM   #205
Gary Barnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Wescott View Post

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
They were there in 1871. Their two eldest children Minnie and Charles were apparently born in STGITE in 1865 and 1867 respectively, but whether at that address of not, I'm not sure.
Old April 18th, 2017, 07:10 PM   #206
Robert Linford
Researcher Extraordinaire

http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?t=7074
Robert Linford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2017, 11:47 PM   #207
Tom_Wescott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Linford View Post
Thanks, Robert. So Wolf Kozminski was at 38 Berner Street in 1882.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
Old April 20th, 2017, 01:54 PM   #208
Tom_Wescott

Default Edward Stow

Ed Stow's latest musings on my book posted on Facebook. This time regarding Brady Street:

Moving swiftly on to Chapter 3 of Ripper Confidential
I see Tom has complained that I must be an obsessive to go through his book in detail – or that I am motivated by a desire to protect the Lechmere theory. I can only imagine that it is getting uncomfortable for him.
He has also proclaimed that I have not found many specific errors and only point out areas where I disagree with his conclusions.
If it was my book I would be hoping for close to zero factual errors. I know that a later chapter is virtually chocked full of errors most of which have been pointed out by Gary Barnett on jtr forums.
I will reiterate that I am pointing out that Tom engages in theorising where he builds his overall case on conjecture – contentious issues are assembled to construct his overall theory. Just as happens to one degree or another in ‘Suspect’ books.
I would suggest that so far Tom’s conjecture has been on the extreme end of the spectrum – for example that Nichols had an organ removed or that she had been internally violated. We now come to another highly speculative chapter.
Tom resurrects a well-known story associated with the Nichols murder as told by a Mrs Colville and her daughter Charlotte on the day of the crime to at least two different reporters.
To put it simply they claimed to have been awoken (on the night of Nichols’ murder) by cries of ‘Murder’ and a rattling on their door on Brady Street. The supposed cries came from further north down Brady Street and went off in the direction of Bucks Row. Next day they pointed out a blood trail to reporters and a bloody hand print at ‘Honey Mews’, further up Brady Street.
Honey Mews has never been located but a conjectural suggestion is that it was North Mews, based on some premises there that at one time were owned by someone called Handley, and that ‘Honey’ was a mishearing of ‘Handley’. The premises concerned were never knowingly called Handley Mews – it is just a suggestion. This isn’t however of much importance.
Of more significance is that Inspector Helson very specifically debunked the Colville story in a statement that he issued on the night of Sunday 2nd September. The police had investigated the blood trail and it didn’t exist. So far as the police were concerned there was no significance attached to the Colville story.
That isn't to say that someone didn’t create a minor scene in the middle of the night down Brady Street. But any fracas was not of the magnitude that led to any sort of large scale blood loss.
I would suggest that it is a little difficult to contradict something as direct as that.
Tom uses the fact that Helson concede that there was one spot on Brady Street that might be blood. One spot. Not a trail. Not a hand print. But Tom uses that one possible blood spot to suggest that the police conceded that there was blood on Brady Street. Yes – perhaps one spot. One possible spot. Not a trail or hand print.
Conjecture based on contradicting a definitive contemporary police claim is theorising of the very weakest kind.
Old April 20th, 2017, 01:58 PM   #209
Tom_Wescott

Regarding Ed's post, I have not complained that he is critiquing it. I have observed that he is and I've speculated as to his motives.

Regarding Helson and the idea that he 'debunked' the Colvilles. He did not. He debunked the press assertion that there was a trail of blood leading from Brady Street to the murder spot in Buck's Row. This is all in my book. There is no reason to suspect that either of the Colvilles were lying and Helson confirms the presence of blood in Brady Street that he describes as 'suspicious'. Charlotte Colville describes a bloody hand print in Brady Street. My 'theorising of the weakest kind' (Ed) is that these two individuals who were there on that day are describing the same blood stain.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
Old April 25th, 2017, 07:41 AM   #210
Gary Barnett

My copy of Ripper Notes, 27 arrived today. What a great little publication.

I read through Tom's Berner Street essay and discovered that a couple of the errors in his book are missing from the original essay. The Berner Street/Batty Street confusion is new to the book as is the confusing '1895 office directly' reference which had been originally (correctly) supplied to Tom by Rob Clack as the '1895 Post Office directory'.

What is missing from Ripper Confidential, sadly, is Rob's excellent photographic tour through Berner Street and its environs. Brilliant stuff.

The only general acknowledgement in connection with the geographical information was to Christopher-Michael DiGrazia, although Tom says he has supplemented Christopher-Michael's work with additional information.

There is also a useful OS map, complete with house numbers, on page 1 of the essay, which can be used to identify a number of the errors in the text.

One question I would like to ask is whether there is any evidence other than its existence on Horwood's map that the 40 Berner Street of 1807 was the same building as the 1888 one (as claimed in the book)? The reason I ask is that Horwood's map seems to show a passageway or gap between 38 and 40 that does not appear on later maps, suggesting that there had been some rebuilding of either 38 or 40 at some stage. (See below. I've used the numbered OS map from the article - hope that's OK.)

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 163
Size:  148.8 KB