Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Persons Of Interest or Actual Suspects > James Kelly

James Kelly Was the Broadmoor Escapee Jack The Ripper?

Old November 17th, 2008, 07:16 PM   #1
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Default Was There A Cover-Up? Discussion

Part of the general Kelly-as-Ripper theory found in the research conducted over many years by the late James Tully was that he posited the idea that there may have been a conscious cover-up on the part of police officials regarding James Kelly.

Would anyone care to offer their views on what Mr. Tully had on his list of reasons and the reasoning behind the notion that because the police didn't extend themselves as they might ought to have done in the recapture of Kelly...and that Tully mentions the police were told NOT to arrest him after the crimes should they apprehend him...that this is indicative of a cover up?

In case people were unaware, Mr. Tully had this to say about the James Kelly situation:

"on the very next day (referring to the day after Mary Kelly was found dead in her room), the "detective police" raided James Kelly's former mother in law's home in Cottage Lane and gave his m.i.l. such a hard time that she had her solicitor write a letter of protest.." ( Page 327/328 of the Mammoth)

On the 12th of November, 10 1/2 months after his escape from Broadmoor...Mr. Tully mentions a memo which indicated that at last the police were interested in Kelly's whereabouts.

Lets shoot the works folks...what do you make of this?
Old November 17th, 2008, 07:36 PM   #2
Vila
Writer & A Gentleman From The South

I've always found James Kelly interesting, even without the possibility of him being JTR. There is so much unknown about Kelly's movements after his escape from Broadmoor. I'd love to hear what others think about him.

Even, as I said, if you don't think he's a good Ripper suspect!

Vila
Old November 17th, 2008, 07:53 PM   #3
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Dan:

He sure as hell is interesting,old friend....considering he is alleged to have had syphilis for over 40 years.

This is an area which I would like to see some other documentation. I checked out the Prisoner 1167 book and found on page 29 the statement that his mother in law, Mrs. Brider, found some ointment and a syringe to boot up medicine for the treatment of venereal disease ( by inference ) that Kelly denied owning. I know Mr. Tully "got" that from some source,but where? Is there a source existing in which Mrs. Brider discusses her ne'er do well son in law?
Old November 17th, 2008, 10:39 PM   #4
Magpie
Researcher

I think that if there was a cover-up, it was more likely to originate from Broadmoor, rather than the police.

Even during Tully's researches, Broadmoor seem to be rather obtuse and unco-operative.
Old November 18th, 2008, 06:53 AM   #5
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Dear Mag:

Would you care to explain your position on Broadmoor, if you have a chance,sor?

Thanks pal.
Old November 22nd, 2009, 02:56 PM   #6
Simon Wood
Former Member

Hi All,

It doesn't sound much of a JtR cover-up/conspiracy to me.

Brooklyn Daily Eagle, 9th March 1927

Regards,

Simon
Old November 22nd, 2009, 03:41 PM   #7
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Thanks a million for that Simon !

I remember wondering a little why Broadmoor seemed reluctant to accept him back after all those years....after reading some material from the late Mr. Tully...and thought that there may have been something to a "cover up" on Broadmoor's part....not relative to the WM, but to the fact he escaped from there....but now I see why they were. Few people turn themselves back in to institutions after they escape. Pretty simple, but then Mr. Tully wrote a persuasive argument for us to consider his candidacy.

Hopefully Roy Corduroy will take part in this thread and we can discuss Roy's views on Kelly or rather, why he feels Kelly is a contemporary suspect despite no SY files being available with his name attached in terms of being a suspect for the WM. I understand that it is possible that a file with his name on it did exist. If a no-go like D'Onston had one with his name on it, so could Kelly.

I'll take the non-candidacy position because I think anyone who had been recently released from asylums would be considered as much a suspect as Kelly. In other words, I don't think that Kelly was that special in the eyes of the police considering that his track record over the nearly 5 years of his institutionalization was a pretty good one... Maybe Roy can amplify his feelings for us...or even someone else.

Thanks again Simon.
Old November 22nd, 2009, 03:55 PM   #8
Roy Corduroy
Researcher

Thank you Simon,

This is the article, or very like the one I have been asking about. The undated excerpt of the News of the World article in Tully's book reads just like it - "he played the violin, got to wear ordinary clothes." So yes, the description was written upon his return to the asylum after 40 years.

And you are correct, Simon, this newspaper article is not evidence of a cover-up in 1927. In that year the press wrote freely about it.

Roy
Roy Corduroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2009, 04:03 PM   #9
Simon Wood
Former Member

Thanks Guys,

You're very welcome. I guess that's another suspect we can cross off our Christmas card list.

Regards,

Simon