Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > The Witnesses + Evidence

The Witnesses + Evidence Inquest testimonies and how they have influenced Ripperology...from Albert Cadosch to a cry of "Oh,Murder !"....from the Goulston Street Graffito to those letters from Hell.

Old January 10th, 2018, 07:43 AM   #141
Gary Barnett

Default Crossinghams in Romford

The Crossinghams ran their Romford households with at least one servant:

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 28
Size:  31.6 KB
Gary Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2018, 07:53 AM   #142
Sam Flynn
Owl Catcher

"Cook... Must be clean"

Which seems to suggest that the Crossinghams might have had some pretty ropy previous applicants for the job

"Suche Nullen"
(F. Nietzsche)

Sam Flynn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2018, 07:54 AM   #143
Gary Barnett

Sadly, the couple's Romford idyll did not last long. They died within a few months of one other in 1907. This advertisement from the Essex County Chronicle of 2nd August, 1907 gives some idea of the comfort in which they passed their final years:

Views: 28
Size:  142.5 KB
Old January 10th, 2018, 07:58 AM   #144
Gary Barnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
"Cook... Must be clean"

Which seems to suggest that the Crossinghams might have had some pretty ropy previous applicants for the job
Yes, I forget the date of the ad, but they had advertised for the position a year or so earlier with no mention of personal hygiene. 'No washing' is interesting. Their next-door neighbour at one stage ran a nearby 'steam laundry' - perhaps he gave them 'mates' rates'.
Old January 10th, 2018, 08:05 AM   #145
Gary Barnett

Perhaps the highlight of the Crossinghams' time in Romford was the marriage of their daughter, Matilda, (actually Margaret's daughter, William's stepdaughter) in 1906.

This is from the Essex County Chronicle of 3rd August, 1906:

Views: 27
Size:  103.6 KB

I believe I have posted this before on the 'Mog Sullivan' thread.
Old January 10th, 2018, 08:26 AM
Gary Barnett
This message has been deleted by Gary Barnett.
Old January 10th, 2018, 08:30 AM   #146
Gary Barnett

This, from the Barking etc Advertiser of 4th August, 1906, provides a little more info about the wedding, including the priceless detail of Margaret's outfit - Mauve broche silk (?). I'd love to see those wedding photos, especially one of old Maggie, the erstwhile terror of the Ratcliffe Highway, the 'very big woman' who had been stabbed in the head by Billy Maher, all dressed up like a dog's dinner.

Views: 25
Size:  97.2 KB
Old January 10th, 2018, 07:26 PM   #147
Gary Barnett

Default Matilda told such dreadful lies...

I believe she told a couple on her marriage cert.

Matilda's birth certificate shows she was been born in Millbank Prison, where her mother, Margaret, was serving a sentence for her part in a street robbery. She was registered as Matilda Sullivan, but the section for her father was left blank, suggesting that she was illegitimate and that Sullivan was probably not her father's surname. However, we may have a clue to his identity because Margaret occasionally used the alias McCarthy, and judging by her criminal record she was associated with a man named Jeremiah McCarthy. So when, on her marriage cert, Matilda gave her father's name as Jeremiah Sullivan, and his occupation as gentleman, I suspect that although she was being somewhat economical with the truth, she may have unwittingly let the cat out of the bag.

'Gentleman', my arse! But I suppose the occupation 'street robber' might have clashed with her mother's mauve silk outfit.
Old January 10th, 2018, 10:04 PM   #148
Gary Barnett

Default Crossinghams' Pianoforte

I can just imagine old Bill C. leafing through a catalogue like this, his faithful hound dozing in front of the fire of his comfortable Romford villa:

http://antiquepianoshop.com/online-museum/bord-a/

Meanwhile, back in Spitalfields:

Views: 19
Size:  44.1 KB
Old January 10th, 2018, 11:00 PM   #149
Gary Barnett

All this talk of mauve silk and white satin outfits, coral necklaces, a fictional gentlemanly father, a honeymoon in Hastings, a pianoforte (by A(ntoine) rather than K. Bord, I suspect) and a chiming grandfather clock in a carved oak case makes me think that the Crossinghams probably hankered after a degree of respectability in the autumn of their years.

How unwelcome, then, would the publicity surrounding the gruesome murder of Mary Ann Austin have been? Especially when Margaret's brother, Daniel, had obviously tampered with evidence - to the extent that he himself came under suspicion of having committed the murder.

My own opinion is that if Daniel Sullivan had indeed been the kind of knife-wielding psychopath who might have carried out such an attack on his brother-in-law's premises, he wouldn't have been left in charge in the first place. The toll of questionable deaths and attacks in Crossingham's various establishments in recent months/years was bad enough, but this was on another level altogether.

I suppose it's possible that Daniel Sullivan had a history of violent assaults - on women in lodging houses in particular - but so far I haven't been able to find any evidence of it. Billy Maher on the other hand...