Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > The Torsos

The Torsos Bodies and body parts found in the Thames River as well as in other locations prior to, during, and after the more celebrated Whitechapel Murders

Old October 12th, 2017, 12:47 AM   #1
Jerry Dunlop
Information Extractor

Default Frederick Wildbore- Whitehall Torso Witness

Inspired, again, by discussions of the torso killer I decided today to make a project out of finding more information on a witness in the Whitehall case that has always intrigued me. Frederick Wildbore.

This elusive man has evaded me in the past and rightfully so. I was always looking for him under the name of Wildborn/Wildborne and his name was actually in several press clippings as it should be, Wildbore. After coming to several dead ends I finally found this guy. And the reason he eluded me, other than mis-spelling his name, was the press getting the street name wrong. They wrote it down as it sounded to them, which is par for the course.

Recent discussion about the Whitehall case have really made a firmer impression in my mind that whoever deposited the torso in the vault was someone very familiar with surroundings and had access to entry into the worksite. I won't include it here, but the testimony of Frederick Wildbore is available in the inquest reports for the Whitehall Mystery. He was a carpenter by trade and I have a hunch he may be related to a Frederick Augustus Wildbore (gas fitter/builder), living in Lambeth, that was a contractor and may have been sub-contracting work in the new police building. That's for another day, though.

There are two entries in the 1861 Census and I'm a little confused if they are our man or not? I will not include them here just yet. If they are him, it looks like he was living with his family and then another family in that year as a 6 year old.

1871 Census

Name-Frederic John Wildbore
Event Type-Census
Event Date-1871
Event Place-Keyham, Leicestershire, England
Enumeration District-7
Gender-Male
Age-16
Marital Status-Single
Occupation-Carpenter
Relationship to Head of Household-Nephew
Birth Year (Estimated)-1855
Birthplace-Peterborough, Northamptonshire

1890 Electoral Register

Now look at that address. The press reports noted the address as 17, Mansell Road, Clapham Junction. Maysoule would probably sound a lot like Mansell and of course instead of 17 it was actually 117 and it was located right at Clapham Junction.

1891 Census

Name-Fred J Wilebore
Event Type-Census
Event Date-1891
County-London
Parish-Battersea
Ecclesiastical Parish-ST JOHN
Registration District-Wandsworth
Residence Note-Maysoule Road
Gender-Male
Age-35
Marital Status-Married
Occupation-Carpenter
Relationship to Head of Household-Head
Birth Year (Estimated)-1856
Birthplace-Lincolnshire, England

1911 Census

Name-Frederick John Wildbore
Event Type-Census
Event Date-1911
Event Place-Battersea, Battersea S W, London, England
County-London
Parish-Battersea
Sub-District-South West Battersea
Registration District-Wandsworth
Gender-Male
Age-56
Marital Status (Original)-MARRIED
Occupation-HOUSE CARPENTER TO RES OF
Birthplace-Kesteven Stamford, Lincolnshire

He is listed with a different birthplace in several records, but they seem to all be near Peterborough, so I'm pretty sure it's the same man. The occupation stays consistent as well.

Death (not a 100% on this one, yet)

Name-Frederick J Wildbore
Event Type-Death
Registration Quarter-Apr-May-Jun
Registration Year-1934
Registration District-Chelsea
County-London
Event Place-Chelsea, London, England
Age (available after 1866)-79

Here is a map of where he lived marked at the bottom left.

Jerry Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 01:15 AM   #2
Jerry Dunlop
Information Extractor

Call me crazy, but, here is a very possible route this man took to work at the Police Building in 1888. If I'm not mistaken the construction went on until the opening of the building in 1890? This route puts him across the Albert Bridge, next to Battersea Park, past the Shelly Estate, past Chappel and Company where the arm was found and possibly crossing paths with Elizabeth Jackson until he arrived in the vaults of Scotland Yard where a week before the discovery of the torso there, he had been actively working in the vault as a carpenter. The Whitehall victim's arm was found in a timber wharf which was along this route.

One last thing. Stewart Evans and Keith Skinner found a letter dated October 6,1888 addressed to Sir Charles Warren at Scotland Yard signed "The Whore Killer". Here is a link to that letter.

https://books.google.com/books?id=Rc...letter&f=false

In the letter he says he intends to kill at Clapham Junction Commons. That location was right near this man's house and the letter was received 4 days after the discovery of the Whitehall torso.

Old October 12th, 2017, 03:32 AM   #3
Debra Arif
Sausage brain

Interesting stuff, Jerry!
Debra Arif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 03:56 AM   #4
Sam Flynn
Owl Catcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra Arif View Post
Interesting stuff, Jerry!
Seconded. Quite fascinating.

"Suche Nullen"
(F. Nietzsche)

Sam Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 04:19 AM   #5
Jerry Dunlop
Information Extractor

Yes Debs, the more I got into it, the more interesting it became. It kind of fit in with some other research I had done in the past. i.e Meiklejohn and Dennis Lynch.

Thank you Gareth. We meet again.

I forgot to mention another thing in this guys favor as a person of interest. Carpenters are pretty handy with a saw. A point against him, is the possibility that he lived to age 79. Not sure if one's mind would hold out from all that dismemberment that long? And, he had several children and a wife. I guess a locked shed in the back yard would take care of that, though. A carpenter would surely have a workshop, would he not?
Old October 12th, 2017, 04:45 AM   #6
Gary Barnett

Hi Jerry,

The births of his children Ellen (1888) and Frederick (1890) were registered in Wandsworth.

Gary
Gary Barnett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 04:55 AM   #7
Sam Flynn
Owl Catcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Dunlop View Post
A point against him, is the possibility that he lived to age 79. Not sure if one's mind would hold out from all that dismemberment that long?
Maybe the motives for disposing of dismembered bodies were no longer an issue, e.g. (wild speculation alert) he found contentment in marriage/fatherhood and stopped having affairs with women who blackmailed him. Perhaps he was responsible for only one of the torso cases, and only then for a very specific reason, e.g. to shut someone up.

Incidentally, the above might apply to any perpetrator. Doesn't have to be Wildbore.

"Suche Nullen"
(F. Nietzsche)

Sam Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 03:50 AM   #8
Jerry Dunlop
Information Extractor

Where this really gets interesting is when you throw John Arnold into the mix. John Arnold was a newsvendor peddling his news at the Charing Cross Post Office. This would be directly across the street from the Whitehall discovery. When he first broke his story of the Pinchin Street murder (2 days early) he was asked where he got his information. His first statement was he had heard it from a police inspector in Whitechapel Road. Later he altered that to an ex-member of the metropolitan police. Arnold happened to be drinking at the King Lud public house and it was supposedly when he left the pub he encountered this informant.

That's where John Meiklejohn comes in. John Meiklejohn was known to frequent the Strand and Fleet street areas. In testimony in his Old Bailey trial for turf-fraud in 1877 this was said: "No"—it was at twelve at noon on 28th September I saw Meiklejohn at the King Lud—I had never before used the public-house to which we went from the Kentish Town station—if I were taken there I could point it out—the landlord noticed our conversation, and put in the word Newmarket, and I said something about cattle market— So Meiklejohn was familiar with this pub and had used it for shady dealings in the past.

Meiklejohns Private Investigative Office was located at 45, Heaver Road, Falcon Road, Battersea. Using the distance tool in google maps, Meiklejohns office was about 600 yards from the residence of Frederick Wildbore (map below). Meiklejohn, as most know, was a disgraced former police inspector for the Metropolitan Police detective force.

Here is the map showing the location of Meiklejohn's office on Heaver Road, Falcon Road and Wildbore further down on Maysoule.

Old October 13th, 2017, 10:41 AM   #9
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Dunlop View Post
Where this really gets interesting is when you throw John Arnold into the mix. John Arnold was a newsvendor peddling his news at the Charing Cross Post Office. This would be directly across the street from the Whitehall discovery. When he first broke his story of the Pinchin Street murder (2 days early) he was asked where he got his information. His first statement was he had heard it from a police inspector in Whitechapel Road. Later he altered that to an ex-member of the metropolitan police. Arnold happened to be drinking at the King Lud public house and it was supposedly when he left the pub he encountered this informant.

That's where John Meiklejohn comes in. John Meiklejohn was known to frequent the Strand and Fleet street areas. In testimony in his Old Bailey trial for turf-fraud in 1877 this was said: "No"—it was at twelve at noon on 28th September I saw Meiklejohn at the King Lud—I had never before used the public-house to which we went from the Kentish Town station—if I were taken there I could point it out—the landlord noticed our conversation, and put in the word Newmarket, and I said something about cattle market— So Meiklejohn was familiar with this pub and had used it for shady dealings in the past.

Meiklejohns Private Investigative Office was located at 45, Heaver Road, Falcon Road, Battersea. Using the distance tool in google maps, Meiklejohns office was about 600 yards from the residence of Frederick Wildbore (map below). Meiklejohn, as most know, was a disgraced former police inspector for the Metropolitan Police detective force.

Here is the map showing the location of Meiklejohn's office on Heaver Road, Falcon Road and Wildbore further down on Maysoule.

fascinating stuff Jerry. But what do Arnold and Miklefohn have to do with Wildbore?
Abby Normal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2017, 01:34 PM   #10
Jerry Dunlop
Information Extractor

Thanks Gary for the Tottenham info. I found a couple of the census records you mentioned. It looks like two of the daughters were born in Tottenham. The address given was Netherton Road which looking at a map is just north of the junction of Eade Road and Seven Sisters.