Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > The Torsos

The Torsos Bodies and body parts found in the Thames River as well as in other locations prior to, during, and after the more celebrated Whitechapel Murders

Old October 12th, 2017, 05:50 PM   #21
Jerry Dunlop
Information Extractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Morris View Post
Great work, Jerry!

As to whether someone's mind would hold for decades after a dismemberment murder, yes. As DNA solves more and more cold cases it is astounding how many horrific beyond description murders were "one-off", so to speak. The killers went ahead, married, had children, sometimes were community leaders. A common thread in these cases seems to be young men, less than twenty years old, impulsively doing the unthinkable, then going on with life. Who knows what their minds were saturated with before they acted out the unforgivable.
Thanks Anna,

Very true. I was taken back to the boys of the Cleveland Street Scandal who, for the most part, ended up married and living seemingly 'normal' lives. So, yes, I guess no one can be ruled out for those reasons alone.
Jerry Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 05:55 PM   #22
Jerry Dunlop
Information Extractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Linford View Post
Jerry, there's a couple of items on Frederick Augustus Wildbore, including a photo : "Lincolnshire Standard and Boston Guardian" 1928 and 1931.
Requires a subscription, I suppose? I only have a sub to newspaperarchives.com currently. Thanks for letting me know, though. When I get a minute I plan on seeing if there is a connection between the two men. I'm assuming there is as IIRC they both had Lincolnshire backrounds. There is also a Shoreditch surgeon by the same name (Frederick Wildbore, b.1822) that hailed from there as well. (Tilton, Lincolnshire)
Old October 12th, 2017, 05:59 PM   #23
Debra Arif
Sausage brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Dunlop View Post
Thanks Sam,

Your points are well taken, although, I have to go with the opinion of the authorities of the time that thought the 4 cases (1887-1889) were connected until further evidence proves any different.
Me too, Jerry. Expert opinion on the mode of dismemberment through the joints, plus the fact that three dismemberment murders with disposal sites in and around the same area of the Thames in the space of a couple of years are unique, despite claims otherwise (without proof).
Debra Arif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 06:25 PM   #24
Sam Flynn
Owl Catcher

Quote:
Your points are well taken, although, I have to go with the opinion of the authorities of the time that thought the 4 cases (1887-1889) were connected until further evidence proves any different.
Thanks, Jerry. Well, I did say "perhaps" My main point, in any case, was speculating as to why a man who lived to be 79 stopped when he did - namely, that he might have found contentment in his marriage. That could apply as much to a serial philanderer as to a "one-off" torso killer.

"Suche Nullen"
(F. Nietzsche)

Sam Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 06:28 PM   #25
Jerry Dunlop
Information Extractor

The 1911 census shows a daughter, Frances Sarah Pomphrey, living with him in Maysoule Street. Age 29 (1882), married, b. Tottenham. There is also a granddaughter and of the same last name (Pomphrey) and a grandson, last name Grist. No husband for Frances in the census and no wife shown for Wildbore at that time. 6 additional children are at the residence bearing his last name, 4 girls and 2 boys. So 7 kids including Pomphrey. All his children born in Battersea (or Wandsworth possibly as Gary pointed out) except Pomphrey.

Wonder if he was living in Tottenham in 1882?
Old October 12th, 2017, 06:37 PM   #26
Robert Linford
Researcher Extraordinaire

Hi Jerry

Difficult to manipulate the items, but this is just about all of it.
Attached Images

Robert Linford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 06:46 PM   #27
Jerry Dunlop
Information Extractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Linford View Post
Hi Jerry

Difficult to manipulate the items, but this is just about all of it.
Thank you, Robert. This article has good information. Looks like his son A.J Wildbore took over the building business. Not sure if there is a connection with the Whitehall torso witness and this guy yet, but every bit of information like this sure helps. Thanks for posting it.

By the way, this man was living nearby at Branksome Road, Acre Lane, just east of Clapham Common.
Old October 12th, 2017, 08:36 PM   #28
Gary Barnett

Quote:
The 1911 census shows a daughter, Frances Sarah Pomphrey, living with him in Maysoule Street. Age 29 (1882), married, b. Tottenham. There is also a granddaughter and of the same last name (Pomphrey) and a grandson, last name Grist. No husband for Frances in the census and no wife shown for Wildbore at that time. 6 additional children are at the residence bearing his last name, 4 girls and 2 boys. So 7 kids including Pomphrey. All his children born in Battersea (or Wandsworth possibly as Gary pointed out) except Pomphrey.

Wonder if he was living in Tottenham in 1882?
He certainly was in 1881 according to the Ancestry tree from where I obtained the Wandsworth info.
Gary Barnett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2017, 05:54 AM   #29
Steve Blomer
Researcher

Quote:
Call me crazy, but, here is a very possible route this man took to work at the Police Building in 1888. If I'm not mistaken the construction went on until the opening of the building in 1890? This route puts him across the Albert Bridge, next to Battersea Park, past the Shelly Estate, past Chappel and Company where the arm was found and possibly crossing paths with Elizabeth Jackson until he arrived in the vaults of Scotland Yard where a week before the discovery of the torso there, he had been actively working in the vault as a carpenter. The Whitehall victim's arm was found in a timber wharf which was along this route.

One last thing. Stewart Evans and Keith Skinner found a letter dated October 6,1888 addressed to Sir Charles Warren at Scotland Yard signed "The Whore Killer". Here is a link to that letter.

https://books.google.com/books?id=Rc...letter&f=false

In the letter he says he intends to kill at Clapham Junction Commons. That location was right near this man's house and the letter was received 4 days after the discovery of the Whitehall torso.

Sorry late to the party so to speak Jerry.

Very interesting opening to the thread.

Steve
Steve Blomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2017, 06:07 AM   #30
Steve Blomer
Researcher

Very thought provoking thread.

The Route in particular looks very suggestive.

So we now need a motive I guess.

Time for further research, I would have a go myself but am snowed under with other stuff at present, posting at the moment is a light release from that.

Steve
Steve Blomer is offline   Reply With Quote