Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > The Lodging Houses & Casual Wards

Old October 27th, 2016, 10:33 AM   #11
Gary Barnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Linford View Post
Thanks for that, Rob. I've got a book somewhere at home that has the Dorset Street Goad map shaded to indicate the ownership of the various properties, but I'm not sure whether it relates specifically to 1888.

Further down the page Neal Shelden mentions a press report that states that Kelly and Chapman were friends. I wonder if that's the same report mentioned by Jerry a short while back?
Gary Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2016, 10:46 AM   #12
Debra Arif
Sausage brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Barnett View Post
Neither do I, Debs.

(Was that a polite way of telling me that McCarthy wasn't running doss houses at the time?)
No, not at all Gary, I just wondered if you might know offhand so I could check teh arrears book for that too. I see Robert's posted a list from CB. I think there's one on forums as well come to think of it where we all disussed who owned what because I remember mentioning McCarthy's property at Great Pearl St and idly wondered if Sarah Lewis was a tennant of McCarthy's there too and was able to use a room at Miller's Court when needed as a consequence...if you know what I mean..
Debra Arif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2016, 10:46 AM   #13
Debra Arif
Sausage brain

Quote:
Thanks Robert.
Old October 27th, 2016, 10:56 AM   #14
Gary Barnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra Arif View Post
No, not at all Gary, I just wondered if you might know offhand so I could check teh arrears book for that too. I see Robert's posted a list from CB. I think there's one on forums as well come to think of it where we all disussed who owned what because I remember mentioning McCarthy's property at Great Pearl St and idly wondered if Sarah Lewis was a tennant of McCarthy's there too and was able to use a room at Milelr's Court when needed as a consequence...if you know what I mean..
For one horrible moment I thought I'd dropped a clanger.

Are these arrears of rates? A little while ago I was looking for someone living in Manchester in the 1860s/70s and the arrears were recorded in the same book as the register of owners/occupiers. Obviously the system was different in London.

Are these records on Ancestry? I'd like to see what can be found about Breezers Hill, Pleasant Grove etc.
Gary Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2016, 11:23 AM   #15
Debra Arif
Sausage brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Barnett View Post
For one horrible moment I thought I'd dropped a clanger.

Are these arrears of rates? A little while ago I was looking for someone living in Manchester in the 1860s/70s and the arrears were recorded in the same book as the register of owners/occupiers. Obviously the system was different in London.

Are these records on Ancestry? I'd like to see what can be found about Breezers Hill, Pleasant Grove etc.
The arrears list for 88 was filmed separately (4 pages) but is part of the Spitalfields land tax books database. There is no ordinary land tax register for 88 in the database but there is for 86 and 89. IIRC most of Breezers Hill belonged to one company.
Old October 27th, 2016, 04:12 PM   #16
Anna Morris

Quote:
Hi Debs

I don't know much about Billingsgate but as a licence was involved, it sounds like a good job and I agree Joe would have wanted to hold on to his licence. It might be that there was casual labour involved somewhere in the Billingsgate industry but not, apparently, doing Joe's kind of job. The natural assumption is that he was caught stealing although it is only an assumption.
There is a great dissertation at Casebook called "Hey Joe! Your Porter Story Sounds Fishy", by Viper. I have never furnished a workable link in my internet lifetime, but I'll try:

http://www.casebook.org/dissertation...ettporter.html

There is a lot of research there, based on records. Looks like Joe didn't renew his license in July of 1888 or something.

(THE LINK WORKS! I can't believe it!)

Last edited by Anna Morris; October 27th, 2016 at 04:13 PM. Reason: add
Anna Morris is offline   Reply With Quote