Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > The Lodging Houses & Casual Wards

Old October 27th, 2016, 05:34 AM   #1
Debra Arif
Sausage brain

Default John McCarthy's arrears?

Until I watched the recent series on the Victorian slums being discussed in this thread: http://www.jtrforums.com/showthread.php?t=26361
I hadn't really appreciated that as shop owner and lodging house keeper among a pauper/casual workforce population, how much John McCarthy's finances would have been totally dependent on the situations of his tennants.

We know that Mary Jane Kelly was allowed to run up rent arrears and owed a fair amount of money before she died. Looking at the Land Tax arrears book for 1888/9 I noticed that in there were land tax arrears noted for all McCarthy's properties: 26 and 27 Dorset St and 1 to 6 Miller's Court. I assume as tennant that McCarthy would have been responsible for the payment of land tax? His name isn't given, just the addresses of property we know he tennanted.

All the properties, listed separately. were in arrears of 4/4 installments (quarterly payments) and the reason given for the collector for Spitalfields failing to collect was that whoever was responsible for payment had 'no effects' The list was signed in May 89 by the collector but payment must have come at some point as P for paid was pencilled in at a later date.

I wonder if M Barnett the owner or McCarthy was responsible for making land tax payments?
Debra Arif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2016, 05:47 AM   #2
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

I hadn't really appreciated that as shop owner and lodging house keeper among a pauper/casual workforce population, how much John McCarthy's finances would have been totally dependent on the situations of his tenants.

-Debs-

Neither did I, Debs. I can't answer your question, but I hadn't considered the position that those people were actually in but I do now thanks to the program. Thanks for starting this thread.
XXXXX
Old October 27th, 2016, 06:56 AM   #3
Gary Barnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Brown View Post
I hadn't really appreciated that as shop owner and lodging house keeper among a pauper/casual workforce population, how much John McCarthy's finances would have been totally dependent on the situations of his tenants.

-Debs-

Neither did I, Debs. I can't answer your question, but I hadn't considered the position that those people were actually in but I do now thanks to the program. Thanks for starting this thread.
XXXXX
Of course, that wouldn't have applied to the residents of his doss houses where no money, no bed seems to have been the rule.
Gary Barnett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2016, 06:59 AM   #4
Gary Barnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Barnett View Post
Of course, that wouldn't have applied to the residents of his doss houses where no money, no bed seems to have been the rule.
Or was it? Perhaps tick was extended to those who could be expected to pay.
Old October 27th, 2016, 07:03 AM   #5
Robert Linford
Researcher Extraordinaire

I've always suspected that while Joe was in work, McCarthy was being paid in fish.

I dare say that the land tax was passed from Abraham Barnett to McCarthy and down to people like Kelly who effectively paid the tax.
Robert Linford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2016, 07:37 AM   #6
Debra Arif
Sausage brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Barnett View Post
Or was it? Perhaps tick was extended to those who could be expected to pay.
Which doss houses was McCarthy running at that time, Gary? I don't have any books to hand at the mo.
Old October 27th, 2016, 07:44 AM   #7
Debra Arif
Sausage brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Linford View Post
I've always suspected that while Joe was in work, McCarthy was being paid in fish.

I dare say that the land tax was passed from Abraham Barnett to McCarthy and down to people like Kelly who effectively paid the tax.
That's another thing that I wondered about after watching the slum programmes-How Joe lost his porters licence. I imagine it would be something he'd have fought hard to keep hold of. A licence suggests it wasn't a job just any casual labourer could take over so the amount of casual labour around in the 80s wouldn't make any difference I presume? I used to think things like having a porters licence was something someone might hold on to for life and be a very cliquey, hard to get into business? It probably wasn't.
Old October 27th, 2016, 07:57 AM   #8
Robert Linford

Hi Debs

I don't know much about Billingsgate but as a licence was involved, it sounds like a good job and I agree Joe would have wanted to hold on to his licence. It might be that there was casual labour involved somewhere in the Billingsgate industry but not, apparently, doing Joe's kind of job. The natural assumption is that he was caught stealing although it is only an assumption.
Old October 27th, 2016, 08:19 AM   #9
Gary Barnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra Arif View Post
Which doss houses was McCarthy running at that time, Gary? I don't have any books to hand at the mo.
Neither do I, Debs.

(Was that a polite way of telling me that McCarthy wasn't running doss houses at the time?)
Old October 27th, 2016, 08:52 AM   #10
Robert Linford

This is for Dorset St :

http://www.casebook.org/forum/messages/4920/9211.html