Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > April 2018 U.S. Convention

April 2018 U.S. Convention Venue slated for Baltimore in April of 2018 coordinated by Christopher T. George

Old November 19th, 2017, 06:44 PM   #31
Chris G.

If you recall, at the beginning of Silence of the Lambs, Hannibal Lecter was kept behind glass in an underground cell in a Baltimore psychiatric hospital.

Here is a screenshot of the "Baltimore State Forensic Hospital" as it appeared in the 1991 film starring Anthony Hopkins and Jodie Foster. The institution used by the moviemakers was actually a facility in Canonsburg in western Pennsylvania, southwest of Pittsburgh, a place notable also for having a Perry Como Avenue (!!!). The building used for the film was demolished in 2011.

For info about RipperCon in Baltimore, MD,
April 7-8, 2018, go to http://rippercon.com/
Chris G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2017, 07:26 PM   #32
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

That building is very similar to the Norristown State Mental Hospital ( known 'round these here parts as the Norristown Nuthouse), where H. H. Holmes worked briefly and one time home of John DuPont, just one of the many warped byproducts of inbreeding in the DuPont family ( For non-Americans, the DuPont family is notorious for their wealth (practically owned Delaware at one time ) as well as their inbreeding to keep their money in their family. It was, and I shit you not, the desire of Pierre Samuel du Pont de Nemours (1739–1817) that cousin marry cousin....and, if wealth was the aim, it frigging worked.

Quick look at the Norristown facility with its rundown buildings

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Du_Pont_family

There are 3,500 cousins in the DuPont family ...most of whom do not know each other.

John DuPont, the late murderer and subject of the film Foxcatcher, and also is credited for the discovery of 24 species of birds.
Check this out :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_du_Pont

I'm glad they haven't but surprised that the State hasn't demolished the old buildings at the State Mental Home.....they use some for training firemen in Montgomery County.
Old November 19th, 2017, 08:19 PM   #33
Joe Chetcuti
Researcher

I'm all set for the bus tour that Chris spoke of on Post 25. I will just need a wake-up call so I can get to the Lord Baltimore Hotel by 9am to catch the bus.

When the tour stops for lunch time, I will buy myself a good meal at the scenic Rusty Scupper Restaurant overlooking the water. That place has a nice dessert list, and I'm going to choose the Fuji Apple Bread Pudding served with dried cherries and praline sauce with vanilla ice cream. Sounds pretty good for 9 bucks.

I never had praline sauce before, but the cookbook says it has brown sugar, cornstarch, melted butter, and pecans.

With a dessert like that and a great bus tour, I think I'm in for a big day.
Joe Chetcuti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2017, 08:29 PM   #34
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Joe

When I lived in Texas 100 years ago, fast food restaurants like Taco Torch used to sell praline cookies which were eaten more as a balm after eating the extremely hot Mexican food than as a treat.

Its good stuff, Joe.