Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Mysteries Within The Mystery

Mysteries Within The Mystery Forum for researchers to list what they feel are the most uncanny mysteries within the greater mystery....the identity and motive of the Whitechapel Murderer

Old January 2nd, 2018, 04:23 PM   #61
Abby Normal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Banks View Post
Agreed Caz.

One of my main criticisms of the Swanson/Warren decision to rub out the message has been that surely they could have found someone who they could have tasked to make an ‘exact as possible’ replica including a quick sketch showing the exact location of it? This wouldn’t have taken long (one of them could have done it.) Two experienced/senior police officers panicked into unforced error.
Hi MB
agree. or at least guarded it and or hid it while they got a picture of it. They could possibly use it to compare to other suspects handwriting.

I think the police were doing the best they could under the circumstances and the times, but ive often felt they could have made better use of photography, this being an example, and also use it to take pictures of valid suspects to show to witnesses.

Concerning the circumstances of when and where found, the graffiti was undoubtedly by the killer, most of the police thought so and its a shame they choked on this one.
Abby Normal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2018, 12:35 AM   #62
Cris Malone
Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Banks View Post
One of my main criticisms of the Swanson/Warren decision to rub out the message has been that surely they could have found someone who they could have tasked to make an ‘exact as possible’ replica including a quick sketch showing the exact location of it? This wouldn’t have taken long (one of them could have done it.) Two experienced/senior police officers panicked into unforced error.
Hi Michael,

I'm not sure that Swanson was involved in the decision regarding the graffiti. At least there's no mention of such. Warren does seem to have been influenced by Arnold, however.
"Objectivity comes from how the evidence is treated, not the nature of the evidence itself. Historians can be just as objective as any scientist."
Cris Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2018, 07:51 AM   #63
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Cuz:

Correct....the decision to erase was influenced by Arnold and enacted upon by Warren. Swanson wasn't involved.
Old January 3rd, 2018, 09:30 AM   #64
Michael Banks
Innocent Bystander

Sorry guys. My ring rust is showing again. Can’t think why I typed Swanson. I meant Arnold of course

Michael🔎

" When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable......is probably a little bit boring "
Michael Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2018, 02:15 AM   #65
Adam Went
Researcher

Hi Anna,

Apologies for the late response.

From memory, wasn't the graffiti located inside the archway of the Wentworth buildings? This being the case, it might have been afforded some protection from the natural elements - rain, wind, dust and grime off the streets, etc etc. Anything which had been written on walls in chalk wouldn't have lasted very long anyway, as the first bad weather of any significance would surely have either smudged it beyond comprehension or removed it altogether. Just as grime from the dirty East End streets would soon have covered it over even if it had survived the autumn weather.

Chalk doesn't have the staying power of the material that is used for graffiti these days. I doubt that it was routinely cleaned, and that probably wasn't necessary. One thing it has going in its favour is that it was evidently freshly written, but again, there's nothing in the writing itself that ties it directly to either the apron or the Ripper murders.

Cheers,
Adam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Morris View Post
Adam: I agree with the idea of graffiti being all over the place. I have never really thought of this before but you are right. In our western cities of today, if the apron was left beneath "Viva la Raza" we would think JtR was Mexican. If under "MX13" we might say he was a member of a Hispanic drug gang.

However the entrance at Goulston Street apparently only had the one bit of graffiti and the apron ended up underneath it. "Charring for the Jews" had to do with keeping the steps and entries clean. Probably the walls had been recently scrubbed and maybe the GSG was just the recent start of a new collection of graffiti. Or was it? I am not a big fan of the GSG being written by the killer but there is always the little thought that it MIGHT have been. It would help us a lot if investigators had made comments about local graffiti, history of graffiti in the Goulston Street buildings, etc. For instance did residents routinely rub it off or did it accumulate until the entryway was actually cleaned? If the latter, when was it last cleaned? Surely there would have been a lot of anti-Semitic graffiti in Whitechapel. What did it say? Where was it placed? How does it compare? Etc.
Adam Went is offline   Reply With Quote