Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Newcomers Forum

Newcomers Forum Forum for newcomers to the mystery of Jack the Ripper and/or JTRForums.com

Old February 5th, 2018, 12:51 AM   #1
Tania Edwards

Default Tracing my GG grandfather - Louis Edwards

I would appreciate any help in tracing the origins of my GG grandfather. This is what I know about him: He was born in Rome, Italy on 15 June 1844. This is the date that appears on his gravestone. At some point he moved to Australia. I estimate this to be about 1855/56 based on the information on his death certificate which states that he had been in the colony of NSW for 57 years. This would make him around 11 or 12 years old when he arrived. He was known as Louis Edwards. He changed his name at some point and here lies the crux of the mystery. The only evidence of his existence begins with his marriage in 1870 to Ellen Healy in Bathurst, NSW. They lived there for the rest of their lives. He died in 1912. He was illiterate as demonstrated by the "x" in the signature panel of his marriage cert. He does not appear in any electoral rolls though his wife does. He did not apply for naturalisation, at least I have not found any records of him doing so. There is a story about him passed down through the generations but I'm not sure how accurate it is. The story goes that Louis and his brother (possibly his twin) jumped ship in Sydney. The brother moved to Victoria at some point and they never saw each other again. Others I have contacted say that he was an orphan and that his real name was Luigi Adori Eduardo. Have searched variations of this name with no luck.

So basically there is 26 years unaccounted for. No idea why he came to Australia, who, if anyone, he was with, what his real name is and what he was doing until 1870.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I at my wits end.
t
Tania Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote