Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > The Crime Scenes

The Crime Scenes Lacking any forensic sciences as a tool,we're as well off as the contemporary detective was . That won't deter us,as we continue to investigate those scenes of madness....or calculated acts...

Old January 15th, 2016, 12:21 PM   #51
Simon Wood
Author, Researcher

Hi Robert,

What's not to follow?

Two named women living in Millers Court.

Regards,

Simon
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2016, 12:25 PM   #52
Debra Arif
Sausage brain

I'll move this Prater identification to a new thread, Robert
Debra Arif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2016, 06:42 PM   #53
Anna Morris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Linford View Post
Debs, wasn't there a story in WWD's book, about Kelly and Prater saying goodbye, and Kelly called her 'young dear' or some such, which WWD thought was cute considering Prater's supposed age?
In a newspaper interview Prater said that she said to Mary, "Good night old dear," and that Mary replied, "Good night my pretty." WWD thought this was sweetly ironic in that Mary was young, not old and Prater was supposed to be older and not pretty.

In that same newspaper article Prater said Mary was wearing her hat and jacket that Thursday night around 9:00 pm.( Prater noted that she herself did not own a hat and jacket.) This is a curious statement in that we read otherwise of Mary going bare headed and wearing a maroon crossover. We know Mary had a hat available, at least the one left by Maria Harvey. I still find it important that a number of newspaper reports said the Ripper burned Mary's black velvet jacket in the fire and that she was known for wearing that garment.

In refreshing my memory of the conversation between Prater and Mary, I ended up finding this specific information in a short article on Prater based largely on Chris Scott's work. There is a bit more I will take to the other thread on Prater as I believe it belongs there better than here.
Old February 1st, 2016, 06:40 PM   #54
Curryong

Going back to the query about residents of 9 and 11 Millers Court, (sorry,) I believe Chris Scott gave information on an entry into the Whitechapel infirmary involving a porter called Henry Hemslow who was admitted on Feb 9th, due to 'debility'. He was married and lived at 11 Miller's Court. Of course if he resided there the previous November, who knows! He was discharged 18th February 1889.

http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?t=64
Curryong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2016, 02:05 AM   #55
Debra Arif
Sausage brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Going back to the query about residents of 9 and 11 Millers Court, (sorry,) I believe Chris Scott gave information on an entry into the Whitechapel infirmary involving a porter called Henry Hemslow who was admitted on Feb 9th, due to 'debility'. He was married and lived at 11 Miller's Court. Of course if he resided there the previous November, who knows! He was discharged 18th February 1889.

http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?t=64
His name turned out to be Henry Hanslope, Curryong and the rest of the thread you linked to is about his life and antics. He was a strange character and in trouble with police a number of times.
Debra Arif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2016, 06:04 AM   #56
Phillip Walton
Researcher

Is there any way of linking BMD records with a specific address? People are being born and die all the time so if any birth and death records for Millers Court for say 1887-1889 could be found it might provide more information.
Phillip Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2017, 12:19 AM   #57
Matt Leyshon

Default Number's 9 and 10

Hi All,

Wanted to give this a bump as I am putting together a census of Miller's Court for a book I am writing.

Was it ever established who lived in 9 and 10? I did not see anything in the thread that stated so but wanted to check if anybody had any new intel on this.

Thanks
Matt Leyshon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2017, 10:48 AM   #58
Anna Morris

The 1881 and 1891 censuses don't give any names at those numbers either. Were they actual residences or something else? Could that be McCarthy's shop? ( forum.casebook.org/archive/index.php/t-9825.html )
Old July 22nd, 2017, 09:54 AM   #59
Colin Macdonald
Cadoschologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Walton View Post
Is there any way of linking BMD records with a specific address? People are being born and die all the time so if any birth and death records for Millers Court for say 1887-1889 could be found it might provide more information.
The London Hospital Archives might turn up one or two. My daughter and I once spent a day looking for various names. Has anyone been through them looking specifically for addresses rather than names?

To a man with a hammer everything looks like a nail.
Colin Macdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2017, 11:21 AM   #60
Sam Flynn
Owl Catcher

By a remarkable coincidence, Colin, I've been searching through the London Hospital Archives, and can reveal the following residents on the "ground floor" of Miller's Court, during the years 1888-89

#1 Julia Venturney
#2 George and Jane Keyler
#3 Mrs Kennedy
#4 Montague John Druitt
#5 Mary Ann Cox
#6 David Cohen
#7 Seweryn Klosowski
#8 Walter Sickert
#9 John Pizer
#10 Mary Pearcey
#11 William Bury
#12 Gerald the Orang-Utan