Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > The Witnesses + Evidence

The Witnesses + Evidence Inquest testimonies and how they have influenced Ripperology...from Albert Cadosch to a cry of "Oh,Murder !"....from the Goulston Street Graffito to those letters from Hell.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 16th, 2017, 06:11 PM   #461
Trevor Marriott
Author & Researcher
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,966
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Banks View Post
Trevor

I don't really get the 'numpty followers' bit. Reputations are usually well earned. I've been interested in the case for many years but i don't consider myself an expert. What ripperologists largely tend to agree on are the authors/researchers who, by the work that they've produced, deserve respect. There's a bit of a 'top table' of Ripper authorities: Don Rumbelow, Stewart Evans, Paul Begg, Martin Fido etc. ( and Howard Brown of course)

We don't have to agree with everything they say but we have a respect for their opinions. There's nothing sycophantic about that. If Paul starts talking nonesense we'll all stop listening. As yet he hasn't.

Regards
Michael

PS Paul, I hope the cheque's in the post
He hasnt stopped talking nonsense, and specsavers do hearing tests

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
Trevor Marriott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2017, 06:14 PM   #462
Trevor Marriott
Author & Researcher
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,966
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
We should all be open-minded, but not so open that our brains fall out.
Some it seems never had fully functional ones to start with, so they might not even know if they fell out.
Trevor Marriott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2017, 11:30 PM   #463
Wicker Man
Researcher
 
Wicker Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,993
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
Curiosity killed the cat remember !

My role in the legal system here is what you in The US might call a public defender, here my title is a police station adviser. Thats all you need to know as this thread is not about me.

I purposely haven't written to much as I know numpties have great difficulty in understanding long sentences.

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
I hope you don't go telling your clients that you can change facts.
__________________
Regards, Jon S.
"
The theory that the murderer is a lunatic is dispelled by the opinion given to the police by an expert in the treatment of lunacy patients......."If he's insane
" observed the medical authority, "he's a good deal sharper than those who are not".
Reynolds Newspaper, 4 Nov. 1888.
Wicker Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 02:13 AM   #464
Trevor Marriott
Author & Researcher
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,966
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicker Man View Post
I hope you don't go telling your clients that you can change facts.
Facts are disproved when the theory that explains the fact is no longer accepted.

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
Trevor Marriott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 02:31 AM   #465
Paul
Registered User
 
Paul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,157
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
He hasnt stopped talking nonsense, and specsavers do hearing tests

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
Hang in there, Trevor. If you keep insulting me then readers might forget that you are trying to avoid facing the truth. As ploys go, that's a bit of a desperate one, but it's been known to work when itís done with a subtlety. The real obstacle to your success, though, is that the readers here arenít the numpties you think they are, but an intelligent bunch whoíll see through you like you were a freshly washed pane of glass. I suspect they already have. I imagine you'll have no choice soon but to hit the panic room button and go hide for a while. In the meantime, insult away... you still can't admit you don't know what a primary source is; unimportant in itself, but suggesting that you're not going to change your mind about any of your 'theories', even when presented with independent evidence that you're wrong.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 03:12 AM   #466
Trevor Marriott
Author & Researcher
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,966
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Hang in there, Trevor. If you keep insulting me then readers might forget that you are trying to avoid facing the truth. As ploys go, that's a bit of a desperate one, but it's been known to work when itís done with a subtlety. The real obstacle to your success, though, is that the readers here arenít the numpties you think they are, but an intelligent bunch whoíll see through you like you were a freshly washed pane of glass. I suspect they already have. I imagine you'll have no choice soon but to hit the panic room button and go hide for a while. In the meantime, insult away... you still can't admit you don't know what a primary source is; unimportant in itself, but suggesting that you're not going to change your mind about any of your 'theories', even when presented with independent evidence that you're wrong.
Evidence that has been pointed out to you many times, is unsafe and flawed which you choose to ignore.

I think you need to look at who started the insulting, and if you think for one minute I am going to sit here and let you repeatedly publicly slag me off you are mistaken. There is a topic to this thread which you seem to have wandered far from in your personal vendetta against me.

You cannot destroy the results of my investigation and the new theories from it which I have advanced, so you try another tact, that being to try to destroy me and my credibility. Well can I say you are only making yourself look a complete arse.

From a practical perspective you are a very good researcher, but you seem to have have no concept of how to assess and evaluate the results. I say again you do not know the difference between primary and secondary newspaper sources, and these are important sources to understand as they form much of the Ripper mystery, which some researchers readily accept as being correct as we see them being quoted time and time again on here.

If I do leave here it will not be for the reasons you suggest but it will be because I do have a life, and a job outside of Ripperology, which unlike you doesn't allow me to sit here all day holding court like you and others seem to do.

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
Trevor Marriott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 04:38 AM   #467
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator
 
Howard Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Eagleville, Pa.
Posts: 73,105
Default

With that, take a break, Trevor. Go away from the thread. We're just going to stay here and wallow in our ignorance.
Unless you can present your csse without insulting others.
__________________
To Join JTR Forums, Contact :
Howard@jtrforums.com
Howard Brown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 09:31 AM   #468
Trevor Marriott
Author & Researcher
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,966
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Brown View Post
With that, take a break, Trevor. Go away from the thread. We're just going to stay here and wallow in our ignorance.
Unless you can present your csse without insulting others.
Excuse me, I think you have been looking at these threads through rose tinted numpty glasses, because the insults have been coming at me thick and fast. I dont see you issuing warnings to those posters.

But I am more than happy to withdraw from this thread. I have presented all the facts that I need to present on these issues.

Enjoy the wallowing experience !

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
Trevor Marriott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 10:04 AM   #469
Wicker Man
Researcher
 
Wicker Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,993
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
Facts are disproved when the theory that explains the fact is no longer accepted.

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
No Trevor, when a presumed 'fact' is disproved, and it happens all the time, the presumption was never a fact in the first place.
Some people adopt a belief as a fact when in reality it is not a fact.
You cannot undo a fact, because to do so demonstrates it was never a fact at all.

Much of what we debate in Ripperology are not facts, just a consensus, or the only account we can find. In many cases the most likely, some might say obvious, interpretation, but still it is not a fact.

By far what we deal with here are beliefs, in some cases arrived at through informed opinion, yet they remain beliefs because they cannot be proved to be a fact.
__________________
Regards, Jon S.
"
The theory that the murderer is a lunatic is dispelled by the opinion given to the police by an expert in the treatment of lunacy patients......."If he's insane
" observed the medical authority, "he's a good deal sharper than those who are not".
Reynolds Newspaper, 4 Nov. 1888.
Wicker Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2017, 04:19 PM   #470
Paul
Registered User
 
Paul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,157
Default

Right, I think we'd got to a general agreement that the writing was on the jamb and the piece of apron was on the floor below it. Warren was concerned that any covering could have easily been pulled off, but why couldn't a burley constable or two couldn't have prevented that? They only had to keep the covering on until the photographer arrived - or was he concerned about the writing being seen by market traders when the photograph was taken? And was there a railing, or is that supposition? Nobody seems to have mentioned one, and Warren's anxiety about any covering being pulled off would seem to suggest that there wasn't one, because wouldn't a railing have been an obstruction?

Overall, it was Arnold who feared the writing could cause a riot and who had a constable readied with a bucket to erase the writing. As head of H Division one might suppose that he had a finger on the pulse of his commend, so his fears should maybe be treated seriously. Warren simply acted on Arnold's advice and took responsibility for the flack the decision might cause. He was therefore aware of the seriousness of the act.

Returning to the subject of the thread, was the erasure a mistake - by Supt. Arnold?
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10 Beta 2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright @ Howard & Nina Brown 2015-2022