Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Persons Of Interest or Actual Suspects > WaCkY RiPpEr ThEoRiEs

WaCkY RiPpEr ThEoRiEs Got a theory that Jack was a renegade ninja or an alien merely gathering human DNA? Share it with us, but only in this forum.

Old September 1st, 2011, 08:47 PM   #11
Chris G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Lorton View Post
Hey Adam and Chris,

Sorry I missed your replies.

Well, I think it was a load of hokum although it did get me interested in John Merrick again. I havn't read about him since I was a teenager. Time for a recap.

Merricks had a facsinating but also hard and brutal life, which is the only thing he has in common with our Jack. So the theorists will have to keep on trucking and find somebody else to make screwball theories about.
Hi George

Indeed Merrick's life story is fascinating. Glad this dopey idea about Merrick being the Ripper refreshed your appetite to delve into his story once more.

All the best

Chris
For info about RipperCon in Baltimore, MD,
April 7-8, 2018, go to http://rippercon.com/
Chris G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2011, 01:10 PM   #12
George Lorton
Former Member

Thanks Chris,

Funny thing is that I think I found out about Merrick from reading up on Jack The Ripper anyways back in the late 80's. Although I had seen "The Elephant Man" about Merrick as a 'little' kid, I didn't know it was about him and thought it was fiction. Well the film was fact and is a movie I heartily recommend, strangely enough it was produced by funny man Mel Brooks
Old October 16th, 2011, 04:30 PM   #13
Monty
Author, Researcher, God.

Hi,

Thought I'd share these images from Leicester.

The first is the site of The Gaiety, the music hall Merrick first 'showed' himself under the management of his good friend Sam Toor. Alas, as you can see, it is no more. Laid flat for a block of flats, to be named Joseph Merrick House. I think funding has ran out. I managed to nab a brick from it though.

The second image is of Lee Street, young Josephs family home was here.

Monty

Ps, apologies for the side on presentation. Maybe How can help....sorry H.
Thanks Neil !

Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2011, 09:13 PM   #14
George Lorton
Former Member

Thanks Monty, I know about Merrick's later life in the Hospital but almost nothing about his early life.
Old October 17th, 2011, 02:27 AM   #15
Adam Went
Researcher

Great photos, Monty.

As for Dr. Treves....meh. Some people will tell you that Oskar Schindler was a prick of a person as well, but his actions speak for themselves. Same with Dr. Treves, he may have had his faults, but everybody does and ultimately his efforts prevented Merrick from spending the rest of his days as a travelling freak show.

Cheers,
Adam.
Adam Went is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2011, 03:55 AM   #16
George Lorton
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Went View Post
Great photos, Monty.

As for Dr. Treves....meh. Some people will tell you that Oskar Schindler was a prick of a person as well, but his actions speak for themselves. Same with Dr. Treves, he may have had his faults, but everybody does and ultimately his efforts prevented Merrick from spending the rest of his days as a travelling freak show.

Cheers,
Adam.
Good point Adam,

Still I do wonder how happy Merrick was in the hospital. but given that he had such a painful and difficult life with Elephantitis, I have to wonder if he had the capacity to really be happy anywhere.

At least he was in a safe place and receiving some professional care, more then he would be getting on the road.

I think the best book on Schindler was Schindler's List. I read it after seeing the movie in 94 and I still love both. They paint an honest picture of Schindler and his life and what he was facing.
Old October 17th, 2011, 04:01 AM   #17
Monty
Author, Researcher, God.

Cheers chaps,

And many thanks for 'righting' the images How.

Just to confirm, top image is Lee St, the Merricks family home would have just been on the waste land beyond the Indian resturant there.

Bottom is the hole where The Gaiety once stood.

I was thinking of taking a few images of buildings and place Joseph would have recognised as a kid. Some have altered drastically obviously but there are still one or two bits surviving.

Monty
Old October 17th, 2011, 10:03 AM   #18
Chris G.

Hi Monty and How

Thank you both for these interesting photographs. Yes the original buildings are no longer there, but somehow even seeing the relevant locations, be it a parking lot or a patch of empty ground, brings us a little bit closer to the man.

All the best

Chris
For info about RipperCon in Baltimore, MD,
April 7-8, 2018, go to http://rippercon.com/
Chris G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2011, 12:27 PM   #19
Mike Covell
Former Member

Thanks for sharing these Monty.
Mike Covell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2011, 12:53 PM   #20
Monty
Author, Researcher, God.

No worries Mike.

I'm surprised no one has notice How has flipped the 1st image back to front, note the 'P'.

Good night was it How?

Monty