Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Persons Of Interest or Actual Suspects > WaCkY RiPpEr ThEoRiEs

WaCkY RiPpEr ThEoRiEs Got a theory that Jack was a renegade ninja or an alien merely gathering human DNA? Share it with us, but only in this forum.

Old October 18th, 2011, 01:26 AM   #21
Adam Went
Researcher

Hey George,

Yes you're right about just how happy Merrick was or wasn't in the hospital, but one would think that just about anything would be better than the life he became accustomed to earlier on, and the constant staring and jeering of people. It would be a subject for ridicule even in 2011 but in Merrick's time it was much worse because medical science didn't really understand it or have the capacity to deal with it.

I mentioned before the opening scenes of "From Hell" where he makes an appearance, and is "unveiled" to a crowd - one woman in the crowd says, aghast, "Should have been killed at birth!". I know it's only a movie and the scene is fictional, but Merrick would have constantly been bombarded with comments like that out in the open world. Imagine not just hearing that and similar not once but probably dozens of times each day. At least in the hospital, Merrick could live in relative seclusion and even made friends there.

As for Schindler, agree with you completely, love the book - and the film too. Best of all, the book was written by an Australian!

Cheers,
Adam.
Adam Went is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2011, 10:31 PM   #22
George Lorton
Former Member

Howdy Adam,

Sorry for my late reply. I remember that scene "From Hell" and I am sure that there were so called people who thought that way.

Actually I have always thought that JTR was the exact opposite of Joseph Merrick in that Merrick was twisted and stunted on the outside and JTR was his exact opposite. It seems a strange fate that they were alive at the same time and might of passed each other in their lives.

I agree with your point on Merrick as I said in my earlier post that Merrick was better off in the hospital in that he received better care and hopefully received painkillers as I believe that Merrick was in a lot of pain especially in the end. Still I don't think he was any happier in the hospital.

I wish casebook would do a podcast on Merrick as he was a ripper suspect of sorts and had such a sad yet fascinating life.
Old October 22nd, 2011, 02:20 PM   #23
Karen Sweet
Former Member

http://www.ima-solutions.fr/?p=241

Did anyone see this programme about Merrick? It was fascinating.
Old October 22nd, 2011, 04:23 PM   #24
Robert Linford
Researcher Extraordinaire

I think that Merrick has to go down as one of the greatest Britons. I mean every word of that.
Robert Linford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2011, 06:01 PM   #26
Monty
Author, Researcher, God.

That plaque was on the side of the Gaiety Tim,

Alas they took it down when it was demolished. They were going to put it on the side of the dwellings which were suppose to have been built there. However funds have ran out.

Im very proud Merrick and I share the same city. As I said, will take some photos of buildings he would recognise.

Monty
Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2011, 06:20 PM   #27
admin tim

Monty:

How sad. Poor guy can't catch a break, even in death.

I remain glad that Michael Jackson was unable to purchase Merrick's skeleton.

A finer example of patient suffering there has never been. You and Leicester have much to be proud of.
admin tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2011, 07:50 PM   #28
Adam Went
Researcher

Great plaque, says it perfectly. Must have been one tough individual mentally.

George, very much agree with you and your take on Merrick as JTR.

Cheers,
Adam.
Adam Went is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2011, 10:51 PM   #29
George Lorton
Former Member

Thanks Adam, As I said I always thought of JTR and Joseph Merrick as exact opposites of each other. Ying and yang, those two.

I guess we will never know if JTR and Merrick knew each other even in passing but I do wonder if Merrick might of known any of JTR victims? Since Merrick did reside in the East End as he did.
Old October 23rd, 2011, 05:19 AM   #30
SPE

Default Yes, but odd...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
And Merrick never used the name John. Pet peeve and I apologise for it.
Monty
Yes, but odd that Sir Frederick Treves should call him John in his book The Elephant Man, And Other Reminiscences, London, Cassell, 1923. Presumably how this error originated.

fredericktreves1.jpg

fredericktreves2.jpg
SPE is offline   Reply With Quote