Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Victorian London's Finest > Sir Melville Macnaghten

Old October 19th, 2014, 10:18 PM   #31
Roy Corduroy
Researcher

Hi Jonathan, you started this as a marginalia thread. A hypothetical, that Swanson's marginalia, and for that matter, Anderson's Polish Jew originated with Macnaghten. After all, he wrote of 'Kosminski' in 1894.

The reverse, the accepted view to now is of course that Aaron Kosminski was in fact a resident of Whitechapel and environs - H Division of the Metropolitan Police, the district was flooded with detectives, house to house searches were conducted, and lots of men were put under suspicion, Kosminski probably being one of them.

Were neither Anderson and Swanson privy to any of that? They only come across "Kosminski' through Macnaghten? It's possible sure, but it's a tough sell.

Roy
Roy Corduroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2014, 10:37 PM   #32
Roy Corduroy
Researcher

Events which occurred in a short time in 1891

Feb 7 - Aaron Kosminski is committed to Colney Hatch
Feb 11 - the West of England MP news item, which is apparently about Montague Druitt
Feb 14 - Frances Coles murdered in Whitechapel
Mar 9 - Thomas Cutbush apprehended for the Lambeth jobbings
Apr 14 - Cutbush sent to Broadmoor

Three elements (Kosminski, Druitt, and Cutbush) of Macnaghten's Memorandum, of which "Colney Hatch' appears in Swanson's marginalia referring to Kosminski.

And a murder.
Roy Corduroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2014, 12:26 AM   #33
Jonathan Hainsworth
Author & Researcher

To Roy

I see the DNA 'scoop' has unravelled. What a surprise--not!

Let me see if I can convice you.

I don't, think, by the way, that Macnaghten made it up about the witness at the Seaside Home , but he did make it up [via Aberconway] that a beat cop, by implication a Gentile, saw maybe 'Kosminski' with Eddowes (he withdrew this bit in his memoirs).

Aaron Kosminski probably came to police attention in 1888 as a possible because he was deranged and lived near the murder sites (perhaps neighbours dobbed him in).

Anderson and Swanson took no particular notice, because the troubled, unemployed hairdresser was just one among hundreds of names of possibles on lists now long gone.

When Mac came on the Force in 1889 he went through--he claims--all the Ripper correspondence, and within a year tracked down the hoaxer. He also claims he was out often in the East End, by himself, trying to catch the killer.

I think Mac also checked those lost lists of suspects and kept tabs on ones he considered of interest--one of which was Aaron Kosminski.

In some follow-up he discovered that his family were alarmed at his sudden violence and had him sectioned. Macnaghten went to Colney Hatch (or wrote to the doctors) and learned that the young man was supposedly driven insane via self-abuse (which I think amused the Old Etonian, e.g. as an explanation for mental illness).

In 1892, Dr. Robert Anderson gives his interview, and I subscribe to the interpretation that he is saying that they have not identified the killer (this is at the same time that Mac in his memoir will boldly assert that he had laid to rest that ghost. He obviously did not inform his superior of the good news).

In 1894, the Cutbush non-scoop threatened to upset the apple-cart and Macnaghten decided to put Druitt's name on file. He created a three-card trick. He used minor suspects, Kosminski and Ostrog, to claim that any of the trio were more likely than the madman in Broadmoor.

But the "awful glut" litmus test of the official evrsion, of his report, inevitably leads a reader back to Dr. Druitt (if he was a doctor?) and his family's belief in their member's erotic fulfillment from ultra-violence. Druitt supposedly disappeared immediately after the Kelly explosion, whereas it took several months for the masturbator to be incarcerated.

Nothing came of the Cutbush story and so the report was mothballed.

Up until this moment, Anderson and Swanson had no inkling of 'Kosminski' being significant, if they recalled his name at all--and likely they did not.

In 1895 came the most spectacular, living Ripper suspect of all: William Grant. A sailor caught in the act of trying to harm a prostitute with a knife, and to whom the best witness, e.g. Lawende, apparently said yes, that's the man. Yet this event came to nothing and quickly disappeared from public memory.

To forestall more bad publicity for the Yard, Macnaghten informed Anderson that it had just come to his attention (perusing the files) that there had been a Polish Jew (true) a masturbator (also true) sectioned in early 1889, (false) who had died soon after being incarcerated (also false). A Victorian prude par excellence, Anderson grasped at this suspect (actually a fictional variant of a real person) with both hands for the rest of his life. He did not further investigation because the man was deceased and though he disliked Mac he did not think he would flat out deceive him. Conferring with the chief Constable was the investigation (who was ordered not to bother Colney Hatch to find out the prime suspect's full name--yes, sir!)

In effect Macnaghtem always seeking to square the circle, gave up Drutit to his indiscreet boss but without giving him up--relax, the Ripper is six-foot under.

Sure enough in 1895, in the wake of the Grant fizzer, Anderson suddenly pops up telling Major Griffiths that the fiend was known. Swanson too is claiming that the best suspect is dead--and it is unlikely he means an English barrister.

By 1910 Anderson's synapses were in free fall, though self-servingly reassembled by his ego--and Lawende's affirmation of Grant merged with 'Kosminski'.

It worked something like that.

It is why Abberline, in 1903, is completely oblivious that the locked-up lunatic was adopted by Dr. Anderson, let alone Swanson. Because this solution did not come from below, but from above--or at least sideways.
Jonathan Hainsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2014, 02:31 AM   #34
Anna Morris

Love your summation, Jonathan! Now I understand this subject better than I ever did before.
Old October 20th, 2014, 08:37 AM   #35
Jonathan Hainsworth
Author & Researcher

Thanks Anna!

That's my theory anyhow.

In his memoir, Macnaghten discarded the window-dressing suspects altogether.

I have a book coming out that elaborates, in detail, my revisionist take on the subject:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/new-releases/books/276306
Jonathan Hainsworth is offline   Reply With Quote