Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Victorian London's Finest > Sir Melville Macnaghten

Old August 17th, 2013, 02:39 PM   #51
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Little is known about Gillis' early life except that he was the son of Norman and Yvonne Gillis and was born June 24, 1963 in Baton Rouge and was raised in southern Louisiana. During his 2004 first-degree murder trial for the slaying of Donna Bennett Johnston, his mother, Yvonne, testified that her son was a good, happy kid who did well in school, had friends and was generally just a normal child. In the penalty phase of the trial, while testifying for the defense, his mother is quoted as saying:
"I used to call him my little blue-eyed angel. This is the person I loved most in this world."
Old August 17th, 2013, 04:37 PM   #52
Jeff Leahy
TV Producer/Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
There are numerous psychopaths and sane killers who have mutilated corpses after death Jeff"
I can not think of one sane killer? But There might be the odd Psychopath? I just have no examples.

But I am carefull to caviate my posts. As is obvious it is often difficult to access the boundaries and lines of mental illness. Thats not to say we should throw the baby out with the bath water.

Anything to do with mental illness is complex as the recent Brady trial demonstrates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
A relevant one is Richard Ramirez who thankfully has recently died

Other Satan worshipping killers are good examples also

Check up on Sean Gillis who took home body parts as trophies - here's a quote from the killer commenting on the strangulation and mutilation of one of his victims...

"She was so drunk it only took about a minute and a half to succumb to unconsciousness and then death. Honestly, her last words were I can't breathe. I still puzzle over the post mortem dismemberment and cutting. There must be something deep in my subconscious that really needs that kind of macabre action."
Yes it sounds like 'psychosis' linked to alcohol.. without knowing more detail its difficult to comment

Yours Jeff
Jeff Leahy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 02:49 AM   #53
Jonathan Hainsworth
Author & Researcher

Default Another 1913 Source

"Evening News' (Sydney) June 3rd 1913

'JACK THE RIPPER.'

HIS IDENTITY KNOWN.

LONDON. Monday.

'Sir Melville Macnagbten, the retiring chief of the Criminal Investigation Denartment, in the course of an interview yesterday, stated that he had a clear idea as to tbe identity of "Jack the Ripper", the author of the atrocious murders in Whitechapel In 1888. whom he characterised as one of the most fascinating criminals he had ever had anything to do with. He added that 'Jack the Ripper' committed suicide in the latter part of 1888, but Sir Melville declined to reveal the secret of his identity?'
Jonathan Hainsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 03:40 AM   #54
SPE

Default Knew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Hainsworth View Post
But again what you miss is that what counts here is that people who [posthumously] knew that Druitt was the Ripper were trying to explain his evil via contemporaneous ideas about mental illness.
Sorry Jonathan I must be missing something here. Who 'knew' that Druitt was the Ripper?

Perhaps substituting 'believed' for 'knew' would be more accurate. How could anyone actually know? Surely we are dealing with a theory here, not 'a definitely ascertained fact'.
SPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 05:54 AM   #55
Jonathan Hainsworth
Author & Researcher

To Stewart

Thanks for letting me know the name of the newspaper re: 1891 vital M.P. article.

The short answer is: yes, I agree, believed not known.

Absolute knowledge was not possible then, as there was no witness to an actual murder in progress, and is certainly impossible now.

The longer answer is that I think with Druitt it comes down to this.

He had confessed to being Jack.

I believe that is what happened based on a number of primary sources.

So, either he was Jack or ...

... the actual mental illness Druitt suffered from led him into a delusional state, and he was not Jack.

Perhaps before he could be proven not to be the killer, he had killed himself.

To me, and I'm alone on this, it is drop-jaw extraordinary that with delusional insanity well known and available to these Victorian professionals--and no chance of a trial to disprove it--certain members of his own family nevertheless 'believed'.

Leaving Farquharson to one side, the cheerful, affable figure of Macnaghten had so many countervailing pressures on him (temperamental, institutional, personal, political) to say to the Druitts, or a Druitt, that they were putting themselves through the ringer over nothing!

Mac could have used his professional experience as a sleuth (such as it was ...) to reassure them that their deceased member was all wrong to be the killer; that Scotland Yard had much more promising suspects, some English, some not. That had he lived Montie might have confessed to being Napoleon, or Christ, or the Man in the Moon.

Instead the Chief Constable 'believed' too?!

So did Sims, whom I now think knew the real data on Druitt.

Neither are medical men and both, moreover, are prone to looking in the mirror and seeing Sherlock Holmes staring back.

If the 1899 'North Country Vicar' is a Druitt, and I think he likely is--or certainly knows them and is writing about Montie--then the family explained, even excused Montie's illness as 'epileptic mania' (eg. he may not been able to control himself during his acute fits of mania).

Whereas Macnaghten is more hard-nosed, depicting [the un-named] Druitt as a high functioning 'sexual maniac' (eg. he knows what he is doing) whom you could bump into in a London street and be none the wiser.
Jonathan Hainsworth is offline   Reply With Quote