Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Ripper & Other Crime Media Forum

Ripper & Other Crime Media Forum A repository for media related to the Whitechapel Murders and Other Crimes since the 19th Century.

Old November 6th, 2013, 05:49 PM   #21
Aidan Crowley

I am trying to respect who he actually might have been as opposed to the cape, gladstone bag in the fog kind of thing......albeit I have reason to suspect he had some kind of anatomical training somehow
Aidan Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2013, 06:03 PM   #22
Chris G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aidan Crowley View Post
I am trying to respect who he actually might have been as opposed to the cape, gladstone bag in the fog kind of thing......albeit I have reason to suspect he had some kind of anatomical training somehow
I think you will find that while non-Ripperologists and film directors hold to the idea that a doctor was the Ripper, here in this community, among the denizens of this website, those of us who study the case, tend not to think he could have been a physician.

Chris
For info about RipperCon in Baltimore, MD,
April 7-8, 2018, go to http://rippercon.com/
Chris G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2013, 06:21 PM   #23
Paul Kearney A.K.A. NEMO
Theorist & Speculator

There are suspects who are linked with butchery skills, hospital or mortuary experience, hospital or military medical training, abortion and the like, any of which could provide rudimentary knife skills and anatomical knowledge

Cutbush was credited with studying medical text books
Paul Kearney A.K.A. NEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2013, 08:21 PM   #24
Aidan Crowley

Yes I agree not a Physician no.....and I dislike Gull and Williams being treated with disrespect as they were fine Doctors.......but some anatomical knowledge and autospsy/surgical knowledge somehow...
Old November 6th, 2013, 08:40 PM   #25
Aidan Crowley

Thank You Chris G ---- http://blog.casebook.org/chrisgeorge...rippers-knife/
Old November 9th, 2013, 05:00 PM   #26
Adam Went
Researcher

Hi Chris and Aidan,

Certainly the Ripper had some medical knowledge. Highly unlikely that he was a full on doctor, in my opinion, but as mentioned earlier there's a multitude of things the Ripper may have worked at in order to gain some basic medical skills.

The key thing is that he knew where to find the organs that he was looking for, generally in almost total darkness and with a limited amount of time, which means he could easily have known plenty about anatomy without the need to know a great deal about wielding a knife.

Cheers,
Adam.
Adam Went is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2013, 05:25 PM   #27
Chris G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Went View Post
Hi Chris and Aidan,

Certainly the Ripper had some medical knowledge. Highly unlikely that he was a full on doctor, in my opinion, but as mentioned earlier there's a multitude of things the Ripper may have worked at in order to gain some basic medical skills.

The key thing is that he knew where to find the organs that he was looking for, generally in almost total darkness and with a limited amount of time, which means he could easily have known plenty about anatomy without the need to know a great deal about wielding a knife.

Cheers,
Adam.
Hi Adam and Aidan

I just think it's a bit too good to be true that the Ripper would be a doctor. It fits the Royal conspiracy idea or else the Jekyll and Hyde model but not I think, as I indicated earlier, necessarily something that most people who have studied the case would pick. In fact, I would say that most people who are students of the murders would probably pick a nobody although as you say, Adam, possibly someone who had some type of anatomical knowledge such as a slaughterman.

Best regards

Chris
For info about RipperCon in Baltimore, MD,
April 7-8, 2018, go to http://rippercon.com/
Chris G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2013, 12:05 PM   #28
Aidan Crowley

Default Gentlemen

Yes Gentlemen I think he must have had some kind of anatomical 'knowledge' but not a Doctor. He must have been quite ordinary.
Old November 11th, 2013, 07:59 PM   #29
Adam Went
Researcher

Hi Aidan and Chris,

Another point in favour his being essentially a nobody in the neighbourhood is the fact that nobody recognised him when he went out on his late night jaunts.

Perhaps it's small town syndrome but I would have thought that somebody prominent like a doctor would be reasonably well known in the district - perhaps he had even, at some point, treated the people who he intended to become his victims!

Of course this may not necessarily be the case but the actions of the Ripper indicate somebody who could go more or less unrecognised through the streets; not a prominent member of society or participant in a well known society or group.

Cheers,
Adam.
Adam Went is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2013, 05:01 AM   #30
Aidan Crowley

Yes indeed I have continued my research and as I write this is developing into a one act psychological play...I am also quite influenced by classical music -- have a listen to the Prelude of ActIII to Tristan&Isolode by Wagner.....very powerful energy there...

Tags
kosminski, levy, surgical knife