Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > The Witnesses + Evidence

The Witnesses + Evidence Inquest testimonies and how they have influenced Ripperology...from Albert Cadosch to a cry of "Oh,Murder !"....from the Goulston Street Graffito to those letters from Hell.

Old February 10th, 2017, 07:23 PM   #401
Gary Barnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Stow View Post
God forbid - I just loiter in the area on occasion.
The neighbourhood watch have been notified.
Gary Barnett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2017, 12:01 PM   #402
Gary Barnett

Default Ada Salmons

Further to the discussion on the 'Pearly Poll' thread about the legality of a minor witnessing a marriage cert (it was legal, as Debra found evidence to prove), I thought this might be of interest.

Margaret Crossingham's will seems to have been drawn up, or possibly redrafted, while she was on her deathbed - or at least not well enough to sign the document herself. In the will she bequeathed the bulk of her estate (approx 11,000.) to her two natural children, Matilda and Jeremiah. There were a few other minor bequests, including one of a comparatively paltry 25 to her stepdaughter, Annie (McCarthy). It was stated at the end of the will that Margaret 'appeared perfectly to understand' the change of Annie's description to 'stepdaughter'.

The will was signed on Margaret's behalf by an Ada Amelia Salmons, who would appear to have been a 15-year-old Romford girl - most likely Margaret's servant, I'm thinking.

Ada is on the 1901 census living in Moss Lane, not far from the Crossingham's final residence in Junction Road. Her father was a bricklayer's labourer. Incidentally, one of Margaret's executors was a prominent local builder and one of the witnesses to her will was a foreman joiner.

Now, I've always had the idea at the back of my mind that there was no love lost between the stepmother and stepdaughter in this case and by extension between the stepsisters.

Bearing in mind that the lead thug in the attack on Margaret Sullivan and Bertie Crossingham had been Billy Maher, a man who seems to have sworn an oath of loyalty to a certain 'Mrs McCarthy', and that someone had thought it necessary to point out that Annie was merely a stepdaughter, I think a bit of step-sibling rivalry is a distinct possibility.
Old February 21st, 2017, 12:52 PM   #403
Robert Linford
Researcher Extraordinaire

Interesting that Ada's dad Alfred moves from being a bricklayer's labourer to a farmer (own acct) in 1911.
Robert Linford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2017, 01:02 PM   #404
Gary Barnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Linford View Post
Interesting that Ada's dad Alfred moves from being a bricklayer's labourer to a farmer (own acct) in 1911.
Interesting. The builder in question, William Hunnable, was a big cheese in Romford.

There didn't seem to be an awful lot of dosh around in 1939, did there? Doris (?) was working in an off-licence. Even in 1911, Albert Rose was a mere grocer's assistant.

One wonders whether the executors of the will, who had control of the capital, made some bad investments. Not that 11k was a fortune, even in those days.
Old April 28th, 2017, 04:58 AM   #405
Gary Barnett

Do we know how long Daniel Sullivan had been in Spitalfields before the Austin murder in May, 1901? At the inquest he gave his address as 4, Paternoster Row, but he was not recorded as living there when the census was taken in April of that year.

There was a man of the same name, age and occupation living at John Satchell's lodging house at 1, Heneage Street when the census was taken. Was this Margaret Crossingham's brother? (I'm not sure how much research has been done on Daniel.)

If it was, then it's interesting that he should be living alongside Satchell, who had connections to NE Passage, Wellclose Square, as did Daniel's sister and Pearly Poll.
Old April 28th, 2017, 07:41 AM   #406
Rob Clack
Author/Researcher

Sullivan was Crossinghams brother in law if I remember correctly.
Rob Clack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2017, 09:12 AM   #407
Gary Barnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Clack View Post
Sullivan was Crossinghams brother in law if I remember correctly.
He was indeed, Rob. In 1861 the Sullivan family were living in Darby Street, near Blue Anchor Yard. Margaret was born a couple of years later in 'Tower Hill'. I've pieced together Margaret's biog. up until Aug/Sept, 1888 when she was sentenced to 15 months in Millbank and her activities seem to have been restricted to the W end of the Highway, near where she was born.

I was just wondering whether there was anything to connect Daniel to Spitalfields in 1888. Margaret stated that she had arrived in Dorset Street in 1891 - did she follow Daniel, or did she get him a job after she had hooked up with Crossingham?

In TBHM, Tom comes pretty close to pointing the finger at Daniel as being responsible for the Whitechapel murders.
Old April 28th, 2017, 09:30 AM   #408
Rob Clack
Author/Researcher

I would put Sullivan (if he was in Whitechapel and Spitalfields in 1888) as a likely suspect for Emma Smith and Annie Milward and the later Mary Ann Austin murder. Although he was given an alibi for that one.

Rob
Rob Clack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2017, 07:39 AM   #409
Gary Barnett

This account of a brutal attack on a man named John Harris is from The Standard of 29th November, 1888. The attack took place in a lodging house in NE Passage and the attacker was Jeremiah McCarthy, the erstwhile associate of Margaret Sullivan.

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 19
Size:  102.3 KB
Old May 24th, 2017, 08:10 AM   #410
Gary Barnett

Default NE Passage

Names associated with NE Passage:

Mary Ann Connolly
Thomas Fogarty
Jeremiah McCarthy (so presumably Margaret Sullivan)
John Satchell
Joseph Barnett
Timothy Donovan
Ellen Callana, Callagher etc (Francis Coles witness).