Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Mysteries Within The Mystery

Mysteries Within The Mystery Forum for researchers to list what they feel are the most uncanny mysteries within the greater mystery....the identity and motive of the Whitechapel Murderer

Old April 27th, 2017, 09:46 PM   #71
San Fran

Hi Ralph,

why ask for facts when you can ask for fair presumptions and have something to work with.

We know for a fact about Jack the Ripper that it's a fact you need to work with something.....
San Fran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2017, 12:14 AM   #72
Simon Wood
Author, Researcher

Hi San Fran,

What do we know about Jack the Ripper?

The answer is 'nothing.'

Everything we think we know about him has been a lie.

Regards,

Simon
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2017, 11:09 AM   #73
Ralph Petroff

Hi San Fran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Fran View Post
Hi Ralph,

why ask for facts when you can ask for fair presumptions and have something to work with.

We know for a fact about Jack the Ripper that it's a fact you need to work with something.....
Well, in my opinion so many things about the Ripper are vague. For example, think of the Carrie Brown murder. The similarities are striking, but did the Ripper come to America? If so, maybe James Kelly is an interesting suspect, while others had to be eliminated; if not, Mr Kelly and some others had to be eliminated, while it would be sensible to concentrate on the "British suspects". The same goes for later murders: Did the Ripper stop after Mary Jane Kelly, or didn't he? If you think he didn't, several good suspects had to be eliminated. It is the same when it comes to witnesses: There were so many interesting sightings, but who of them actually saw the Ripper - if anyone did?

I got somewhat lost in the jungle of assumptions, and hence I noticed that a lot of theories are based on what someone believes, that many theories are built around assumptions matching a certain suspect. Now of course I know that this can't be avoided, given that we are discussing a criminal case that happened almost 130 years ago. At that time, possibilites were limited to say the least; today, it is impossible to reconstruct the facts. But at least I wanted to try to reconstruct as many facts as possible in order to offer sort of an orientation in the jungle.^^
Ralph Petroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2017, 02:01 PM   #74
San Fran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wood View Post

The answer is 'nothing.'

Yes, Simon,
I'm totally in agreement with renouncing everything you "know" and starting over.

I'm sure you're going to say we don't "know" it's an extraordinary series of crimes (which to me would require an extraordinary solution) so I won't bother going there.

Something we know or can know possibly has to be something that will or can lead somewhere. Otherwise it's simply we know it was a man or men.

I see Ralph uses the inverted Vs. That's where I was going to go. One of the first if only places I'd think of going. ^^ Makes you want to go mmmmmmmmmmm......

What's worse - seeing something that isn't there or not seeing something that is?
San Fran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2017, 07:21 PM   #75
Simon Wood
Author, Researcher

Hi San Fran,

You can't be certain it wasn't a woman or women.

Why does ^^ make you want to go mmmmmmmmmmm......?

Regards,

Simon
Simon Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2017, 05:09 AM   #76
Sam Flynn
Owl Catcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wood View Post

The answer is 'nothing.'

I think "lie" is a bit strong, although sometimes this is the case. More often, we're looking at a spectrum that ranges from "informed theories" to "wild conjecture". There's huge scope for variation even within those categories: some theories/conjectures are more grounded than others.

As to the man himself, it's fair to say that we actually know nothing; not even if he was a "him", for that matter.

"Suche Nullen"
(F. Nietzsche)

Sam Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote