Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Upcoming Events In Ripperology

Upcoming Events In Ripperology From books to be released to films, individual projects to Conventions...all events in the near future in the world of Ripper research and of interest to the community.

Old May 1st, 2017, 03:56 PM   #1
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Default Who Is Really Buried In The Grave Of The Devil In The White City ?

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local...420778313.html

Adam Selzer, author of the new “H.H. Holmes: The True History of the White City Devil”, has never believed all of the more fanciful stories about the “murder castle”, and says he believes the Holmes body count might have only been between 9 and a dozen individuals.
“He was a swindler first and foremost,” he said. “Right after he was first arrested he suddenly became really, really famous. People were calling him the arch criminal, the master criminal of the century!”

(Personally, I also have never believed a natural swindler like Holmes was of the ilk he's been compared to. Not like a Vacher, Ripper, Chikatilo, Sutcliffe.....but more in line with black widows, William Palmers, etc..-HB )
Old June 12th, 2017, 08:00 PM   #2
Beth Bennett

But he did go to an awful lot of trouble to choose inventive ways to kill people. That has to make him a fiend, at least.
Beth Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2017, 08:32 PM   #3
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Beth:

That's true.
What separates Holmes ( Beside the fact there is no evidence he ever left the United States...sort of a requisite for him to be the Ripper) from the Ripper is the motivation for Holmes's crimes ( money ) and the methodology employed by the Ripper.

The purveyors of this crap know that just as well as we do.

One of them, a local person, actually wrote an article declaring Holmes was responsible for the Borden murder ( 1892 ) and...drum roll...the Servant Girl Annihilator Murders ( 1885 ) in Austin.

I can't prove the following but I firmly believe that if the prime mover behind this silly stuff wasn't related to Holmes, he'd have nothing to do with it.
Old June 13th, 2017, 11:37 AM   #4
Anna Morris

Considering those who invent titillating information...

I was watching a video in a series I have generally respected. This one was about a man who may have been innocent though he was convicted and hanged. It was Deeming and I knew there was more to the story. So I stopped the video and thought I should come here to see what was posted. I ended up reading a thread with 300 plus posts until 2:00 am and never finished the video!

That experience gave me a whole new perspective on mindlessly absorbing interesting material.