Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Book Of The Month

Old December 9th, 2013, 04:32 PM   #1
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Default December 2013

Thread for sharing your views on any book you've recently read, related to the Case, the East End, Victoriana, or crime....

This month has seen several books being discussed on the Forums.....Mr. Rumbelow's new Complete, Messrs. Begg & Bennett's Essential, Mr. Whittington-Egan's Definitive Casebook, Helena Wojtczak's Jack The Ripper At Last, Neal Shelden's Mary Kelly & the Victims Of JTR....etc...

We need ourselves a volunteer to review one of 'em....
We could do this on a monthly basis..
Old December 9th, 2013, 08:17 PM   #2
Tom_Wescott
Researcher and Award Winning Author

Good idea, Howard. Keep this thread open next month. That's when I intend to publish The Bank Holiday Murders.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
Tom_Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2013, 02:20 PM   #3
Mike Covell
Former Member

Default My review of Helena's book

A review I posted on both my blog and Amazon of Helena's latest release:

At Last….
George Chapman, the notorious “Southwark Poisoner” has deserved a decent book about his life and crimes for years, if not for him, but for the victims he killed and the trail of destruction he left behind. There are other Chapman books on the market, but what sets this one apart is the attention to detail and dissection of every aspect of Chapman’s life, crimes, and representation in the media. It doesn’t regurgitate the old myths surrounding him either, it takes these and demolishes them.
The book is split into six sections, covering topics such as his life, crimes, investigation and execution, motive, myths, and whether or not he was, or even deserved to be called “Jack the Ripper.” Furthermore, each part is split even further into decent bite size chunks for the reader to dip into and devour.

What I found most interesting about the book is the way Chapman is presented. He is not given to us as a continent hopping multiple murderer, but instead as a man who worked his way through life, encountering women, poison, and the ultimately the noose.

The chapter regarding the stories and myths surrounding his life was fascinating, and I was amazed at the number of stories and myths surrounding him, stories that seem to be commonly accepted facts. Helena takes these stories and shows them to be falsehoods by placing them alongside contemporary historical sources.

The chapter regarding his candidacy as “Jack the Ripper” appealed to me most, being a Ripperologist, and I was fascinated by the 15 points set out against Chapman as Ripper. Helena takes these points and discusses them against contemporary historical sources, presenting a fair and balanced argument for her theories.

The overall presentation of the book is outstanding,(hardback edition) from its sleek design, photographic glossy paper, and lavish silk page mark. It is also well researched, well presented, and thoroughly referenced throughout.

The book will appeal to those with an interest in true crime, criminal history, and anyone, like me, with an interest in “Jack the Ripper.”

Jack the Ripper At Last is available from Hastings Press at the following website: http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/

Full details on the price, postage etc, can be found on the dedicated page to the book: http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html
Mike Covell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2013, 12:40 AM   #4
Adam Went
Researcher

I've mentioned this on another thread before, but for anyone who is interested, Jack London's "People Of The Abyss" is available for free on Kindle.

Sadly I can't review it just yet as I haven't read it myself, reading two at once is already difficult enough!

Cheers,
Adam.
Adam Went is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2014, 07:01 PM   #5
Colin Macdonald
Cadoschologist

Entirely agree with Mike about Helena's book. A very worthwhile acquisition and a balanced and objective assessment of the merits of his 'candidacy' to be JtR, albeit that aspect forms but a small part of the whole.

To a man with a hammer everything looks like a nail.
Colin Macdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 03:34 PM   #6
Helena Wojtczak
Ripper author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Macdonald View Post
Entirely agree with Mike about Helena's book. A very worthwhile acquisition and a balanced and objective assessment of the merits of his 'candidacy' to be JtR, albeit that aspect forms but a small part of the whole.
Thank you very much Colin! Kind words indeed, and most welcome!

Any chance of you repeating those lines on my book's Amazon page? (I've just received a fake bad review from a man who was harassing me on Facebook. I blocked and reported him and he retaliated by posting the review. He has not read my book.)

Helena
Helena Wojtczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2014, 08:57 PM   #7
Adam Went
Researcher

Am currently reading this book and finding it very interesting:

http://www.amazon.com/Elephant-Man-O...ederick+Treves

Sir Frederick Treves is of course best known for his relationship with The Elephant Man, John Merrick, but he also performed a successful operation on King Edward VII for appendicitis - a major feat at the time - and was one of the most eminent surgeons of the era.

This isn't so much a biography as a series of stories Treves recalls from his time as a doctor, including several at the London Hospital at Mile End which we are all familiar with. He has an excellent writing style which doesn't ramble on, is very readable and quite humorous at times as well.

For about $2 on Kindle, it's well worth the read.

Cheers,
Adam.
Adam Went is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2014, 01:26 AM   #8
Scott Nelson
Schoolyard Bully

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena Wojtczak View Post
I've just received a fake bad review from a man who was harassing me on Facebook. I blocked and reported him and he retaliated by posting the review. He has not read my book.
Hey, it wasn't me. I love you Helga.
Scott Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote