Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Registration and Assistance > Technical Help

Technical Help Q and A regarding problems which may occur.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old May 19th, 2011, 08:07 AM   #21
Chris Scott
Author & Researcher

Please be warned that there are versions of this infection in circulation for Windows Vista and Winsows 7
Please see:
http://www.pc1news.com/news/1932/windows7recovery.html
Chris Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2011, 04:34 PM   #22
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Dear Chris:

Thanks for sharing this latest update.

By the way, Tim's advice on using Firefox Mozilla might actually be the smartest (of the very few smart) things he's ever suggested. I can't believe how quickly Mozilla operates. Its definitely better than IE...and is really simple to install.
Old May 20th, 2011, 10:00 AM   #23
Perfect Virgo

Default System Restore Disabled - but a workaround.

I picked up this infection, or a version of it (Vista Internet Security), twice recently. These infections claim to be virus detection alerts and offer to clear your computer if you purchase their software but of course there is no software and the entire thing is a malicious scam rendering your computer useless.

As to removal, the following may be of interest: Suggested removal techniques are on the Web but they are complex and involve Registry changes. I tried System Restore but got messages saying the System Restore .exe file could not be found. On the offchance I tried rebooting and logging in on my wife's profile and thankfully found it to be uninfected. I accessed System Restore from this second profile and restored to an earlier time. On reboot my own profile was back to normal.

I mention this in case anyone with an infected computer has a second profile available and wants to try. It worked for me.

Last edited by Perfect Virgo; May 20th, 2011 at 10:05 AM. Reason: sp
Perfect Virgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2011, 03:12 PM   #24
admin tim

It was interesting to learn where my infection came from. Of course, Howard always says that.

At my work, a large international engineering company, some doofus of a network admin used his admin status to bypass the network safety features so he could access and download files from a site that was otherwise forbidden. The infection came in with his download and infected the corporate intranet. Several dozen computers, mine included, were infected simply from being on the corporate intranet, where to/from activity is constant.

I got off light, but it took about 6 hours to clear the problem. Dunno about the network admin; I suspect he didn't fare as well.

Flash drives are so cheap these days that one should consider loading one with malwarebytes and other similar programs, to have ready in time of need.
admin tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2011, 04:15 PM   #25
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

some doofus of a network admin used his admin status to bypass the network safety features so he could access and download files from a site that was otherwise forbidden.- T.Mosley

Lucky you didn't get canned for the goof Tim. Wise up.

Perfect Virgo...thanks for sharing the advice and sorry to hear of your troubles...these recent attacks on members of the Forums make those irritating penis enlargement ads ( like I need to get bigger ! Ha ! ) and Nigerian money scams seem like a walk in the woods.

Again, for those considering swishing, er, switching...to a new anti-virus...Trend Titanium is very good.