Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > The Water Cooler

The Water Cooler Forum for political discussions, op-eds, religion, and such

Old December 4th, 2011, 01:16 PM   #11
Robert Linford
Researcher Extraordinaire

String, nice to see us getting a bit of our money back.
Robert Linford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2011, 01:18 PM   #12
String
innocent bystander & former captionmeister

Well thats it. Over here in N Ireland we have had quite a few of these projects, the local railway bridge and station was partly paid for. I think it depends on were you live, how prosperous the area is etc.
String is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2011, 04:55 PM   #13
Jeff Leahy
Bannee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Scott View Post
Never mind the last hopeless and profligate Labour goverment that got us into this shit in the first place! They walk away smelling of violets - at least that's what they hope, if we have terminally short memories.
The odious Ed Balls carps from the sidelines like a castrated pit bull terrier when he was in the Government that sold us down the Swanee!!
Look you don't have to be an economic genious to figure out the Tory's have 'F'd the economie, again. They were warned not to slow it down to fast.

Brown might have the personality of a monkey, but he was nobodies fool when it come to economics. Osbourne is simply an oik with no experience for the job. NONE. The sooner he's gone the better..

The fact that labour have also shoot themselves in teh foot should leave us all very worried indeed..

Doom and gloom.

Jef

PS I'm also with Clarkson on this, although I think infront of their families a little strong. Pensions should be Capped and bank bonus's. Protecting the poor and making the over paid middle management pensioneers get jobs in B&Q. About time they actually did something. Money should be taken from the top and invested in private enterprise and new business.
Jeff Leahy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2011, 05:26 PM   #14
Bob Hinton
Author

Default What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by String View Post
Every time you see a sign saying built using European regional fund or the likes, that's aid for the UK coming from Europe.
You are kidding surely? All that means is they are giving us back a few crumbs out of the whole bakery we have given them!
Old December 4th, 2011, 05:34 PM   #15
Bob Hinton
Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Leahy View Post
Look you don't have to be an economic genious to figure out the Tory's have 'F'd the economie, again. They were warned not to slow it down to fast.

Brown might have the personality of a monkey, but he was nobodies fool when it come to economics. .
Warned by who? Those clowns in Labour? If Brown was such a genius when it came to economics how come he managed to take the healthy state of the economy as bequeathed to him by the Conservatives,and then first as Chancellor of the Exchequer and then as Prime Minister manage to screw things up so badly?

Don't forget it was Brown raiding the pension funds early on that precipitated the calamity in pensions in the private sector.
Old December 4th, 2011, 05:41 PM   #16
Phillip Walton
Researcher

As a recipient of one of those so called 'gold plated' pensions I can confirm that they are not gold plated. This government has already stolen about 25 a month from me by the change from RPI to CLI. This is not a 'grace and favour' pension to which I have not contributed such as MP's receive but one which I have contributed to all my working life. The present problems with funding go back to the 1980's when the Thatcher government allowed employers to cut their contributions. Up until then the employers only contributed about 25% towards pension funds and since then many have contributed little if any funding so there is now a 25 year backlog of under-funding.
Phillip Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2011, 05:41 PM   #17
String

The economy was doing quite fine until the banks f@&)(;ed it up. Remember the Tories were demanding less regulation right up to the end.
Old December 4th, 2011, 05:47 PM   #18
String

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hinton View Post
You are kidding surely? All that means is they are giving us back a few crumbs out of the whole bakery we have given them!
Well at least all the big tory land owners get to keep their grants.
Old December 4th, 2011, 05:47 PM   #19
Phillip Walton
Researcher

The Labour party appeared to be scared of the city finance institutions and the Tories have no intention of regulating the banks who bankroll them.
Phillip Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2011, 06:03 PM   #20
Chris Scott
Author & Researcher

It is simply that we are now reaping the whirlwind
The Blair/Brown economic "miracle" or boom was all smoke and mirrors - it was all based on absurd levels of credit both on a personal and national level. Borrowers of loans and mortgages borrowed way beyond their means because the property bubble of absurd prices looked set to last and so they assumed they would sell up and move on before the mortgage needed settling.
Of course the bankers are not blame free - they got caught up in the communal insanity and leant unwisely and gambled on uncertain markets. But for a lender to lend unwisely there must be a borrower who borrows unwisely.
A friend of mine exaggerated his income (i.e. lied) to get a self certification mortgage way beyond his means to pay - he now blames the wicked bankers for the financial mess he is in. His attitude is "well if the banks hadn't offered these loans I wouldn't have taken them." He sees absolutely no need to accept any personal responsibility for the mess he has got himself into. The wicked bankers are a wonderful all purpose scapegoat on which we can blame all the ills of society.
I repeat - the bankers are certainly not blame free and certainly played their part in the fiasco but I object to their being used as a universal bogeyman which allows all those who lied or took absurd risks which got them into financial turmoil to use the banks as a means to deny all personal responsibility for their actions.
The present government is certainly not problem free and has made its fair share of howlers BUT the main architects of the present dire situation we are in are undoubtedly Blair, Brown, Balls and the rest of their gormless Labour cronies.
Chris Scott is offline   Reply With Quote