Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Board Announcements > In Memoriam > Adrian Phypers

Old November 3rd, 2012, 03:10 PM   #1
Chris G.

Default Adrian Phypers, aka Viper, aka Bluecoat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin tim View Post
I have found info on the site on everyone but Adrian Phyper, aka Viper, and have copied or moved it to the In Memoriam forum.

Does anyone have any info on Adrian that we can use?
Hi Tim

Adrian M. Phypers, aka Viper, set up the Casebook: Jack the Ripper Press Project, so his service to Ripperologic studies was immense. He passed away suddently on 17 April 2003. Adrian used the screen name "Bluecoat Boy" in the old Casebook Productions chatroom and the Casebook: Jack the Ripper chatroom, and was, I understand, a graduate of the Bluecoat school in the East End. He was also a Leyton Orient F.C. supporter which he often spoke about in the chatroom. His knowledge of the case and of East End history was phenomenal. Adrian was very helpful to myself and other researchers and the amount of material he sent me was substantial, for which I remain grateful. There is an obit of him on Casebook that we originally ran in Ripperologist here.

Best regards

Chris
For info about RipperCon in Baltimore, MD,
April 7-8, 2018, go to http://rippercon.com/
Chris G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2012, 03:52 PM   #2
Wicker Man
Researcher

I still have all the press cuttings he sent me for transcription when we worked together on the Casebook Press Project. Ann used to enjoy chatting with Viper on Saturday mornings in the 'chattery' about gardening stuff (not my 'thing').
I was really shocked when I heard of his passing, I was on an hiatus from the message boards at the time, I only learned of his passing when I returned.

R.I.P. Viper, you are sorely missed!

" observed the medical authority, "he's a good deal sharper than those who are not".
Reynolds Newspaper, 4 Nov. 1888.
Wicker Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2012, 08:06 PM   #3
Dave O
Former Member

Hi Chris and Jon,

He was just superb, wasn't he? I remember that besides finding articles for Press Project, and mailing them at his own expense, he'd proofread the transcriptions as well before they'd go online. He put a tremendous amount of work into it. He had great knowledge, and his articles and postings are still relevant. It's hard to believe that we're coming up on ten years.

Dave
Dave O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2012, 08:58 PM   #4
Chris G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicker Man View Post
I still have all the press cuttings he sent me for transcription when we worked together on the Casebook Press Project. Ann used to enjoy chatting with Viper on Saturday mornings in the 'chattery' about gardening stuff (not my 'thing').
I was really shocked when I heard of his passing, I was on an hiatus from the message boards at the time, I only learned of his passing when I returned.

R.I.P. Viper, you are sorely missed!

I have some correspondence from him in which he signed his name with a viper in the shape of a "V" -- I'll try to scan one of his signatures and post it here.
For info about RipperCon in Baltimore, MD,
April 7-8, 2018, go to http://rippercon.com/
Chris G. is offline   Reply With Quote