Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > JTRForums Competition Forum

Old November 3rd, 2012, 10:05 PM   #1
admin tim

Default New Logic Puzzle

Shown above are four men buried up to their necks in the ground. They cannot move, so they can only look forward. Between A and B is a brick wall which cannot be seen through.

They all know that between them they are wearing four hats--two black and two white--but they do not know what color they are wearing. Each of them know where the other three men are buried.

In order to avoid being shot, one of them must call out to the executioner the color of their hat. If they get it wrong, everyone will be shot. They are not allowed to talk to each other and have 10 minutes to fathom it out.

After one minute, one of them calls out.

Question: Which one of them calls out? Why is he 100% certain of the color of his hat?

This is not a trick question. There are no outside influences nor other ways of communicating. They cannot move and are buried in a straight line; A & B can only see their respective sides of the wall, C can see B, and D can see B & C.

AND NO CHEATING! Yes, it may be looked up via search engine. I'm proud to say that I got it right; can you?
admin tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2012, 10:36 PM   #2
Robert Linford
Researcher Extraordinaire

C calls out his colour. C knows that B is white. C reasons that if he too were white, D would see two whites (B and C) and would call out that he, D, is black. But D hasn't called out. Therefore C's colour must be black.
Robert Linford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2012, 06:23 AM   #3
Phillip Walton
Researcher

Its C, he can see the other two are both wearing white hats so his has got to be black.
Phillip Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2012, 06:33 AM   #4
Magpie
Researcher

Note to self: if ever faced with being buried up to the neck and facing a firing squad, try to make sure Linford is buried there too....

Karen Trenouth
Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2013, 12:14 PM   #5
admin tim

Default 'ere we goes agin

Aunt Caroline gave Howard this challenge: "In the hallway there are three light switches," she said. "And in the study there are three lamps. You may enter the study only once - the lamps must be turned off when you do. At no time until you enter can you can you open the door to see into the study. Your task is to figure out which switch corresponds to which lamp."

"Easy," said Howard.

How did he do it?

AND NO CHEATING! Yes, it may be looked up via search engine.
Old February 7th, 2013, 01:16 PM   #6
Robert Linford

Well, assuming unlimited time I would leave one bulb on day and night, for months if necessary, while periodically turning the switch on and off to give the bulb every chance to come to the end of its life. Having switched the first switch to off, I would turn the second switch on and leave it on for a couple of hours. I'd switch that one off, and enter the room. The bulb that tinlkles when shaken is the first switch's bulb, the bulb that feels warm is the second, and the cold one is the third.
Old February 7th, 2013, 01:44 PM   #7
Robert Linford

A second way : I will turn on one of the switches and leave it on for a couple of hours. I will then turn it off and enter the study. The bulb that feels warm will correspond to that switch. I will remove that bulb so that I don't get confused later. Then I will remove one of the other two bulbs. I will then read my meter, note the reading, and then switch off every electrical appliance in the house so that the only electricity being used is the negligible amount needed to run the meter. Then I will turn one of the other two switches on. I will wait several days, weeks, whatever, and then read my meter again. If there has been an appreciable increase in the reading, I know that the second switch corresponds to the bulb still in the study. If there has been no appreciable increase, then the lamp whose (non-warm) bulb that I removed corresponds to the second switch.
Old February 7th, 2013, 06:13 PM   #8
Magpie
Researcher

I will leave one light on for several minutes, another I will leave off the entire time. for about 10 seconds I will turn on the third light before turning it off.

When I enter, one will be radiating heat, one will be warm to the touch, the third will be cold.

Karen Trenouth
Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2013, 09:06 PM   #9
admin tim

Itís getting close to Halloween, so hereís a monster puzzle:

Imagine you are sitting in a rowing boat in the middle of circular lake. Standing on the edge of the lake is a hungry monster. The monster wants to eat you. You want to escape.

You know that, if you can reach land, you can outrun the monster, but first of all, you need to row to shore. Hereís the issue: whilst you can outrun the monster on foot, he can run faster than you can row the boat. Much faster. The monster can run four times faster than you can row. Heís also a clever monster and will always do that smartest thing to attempt to catch you; moving around the shoreline, as needed, to maximize his advantage. If he touches you, youíre dead!

Can you escape?
Old October 23rd, 2013, 03:10 AM   #10
Paul Kearney A.K.A. NEMO
Theorist & Speculator

If you always row directly away from the position of the monster, in a spiral, you should be able to escape

If you just start rowing to a point diametrically opposite the monster and keep on that straight line then he will catch you
Paul Kearney A.K.A. NEMO is offline   Reply With Quote