Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > JTRForums Competition Forum

Old October 24th, 2013, 06:27 PM   #21
Phillip Walton
Researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Linford View Post
"I will be impaled."
Got it in one.
Phillip Walton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2013, 05:54 AM   #22
Iselio De Lisi

Of course I'm right paisą, it is impossible be wrong.
This evening I will post my wife's alternative solution.

Because both of the solutions are right, How for penitence you will have a sweet date with Smitty White .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Brown View Post
Paisano:
If you're right...then congratulations !
If not...and Tim posts the words, "Izzy is dizzy...he's not right..."....then look for this fellow in about 20 minutes:

I have Luca on speed dial and he's just a stones throw away from you at this very moment.
Old March 20th, 2016, 04:26 PM   #23
admin tim

Default Time for another hat puzzle!

If you enjoyed trying out the Four Men in Hats puzzle, here's another one for you. Again, the inmates must solve the puzzle or they will be executed.

On one such occasion, three cells were needed, so three of the cleverest inmates - Albert, Barry, and Carl - were put in a room and given a challenge. A guard showed them 5 party hats - 3 white, 2 black. The guard then removed the hats from view, walked behind each prisoner and placed a party hat on his head. Each inmate could see the two other inmates' hats, but not his own; nor could he see the two extra hats that were not placed on heads.

The guard said, "If anyone can tell me with absolute certainty the color of his own hat, you may all go free. However, under no circumstances may you communicate the color of anyone else's hat."

He first asked Albert. Albert is a very honest and intelligent (ie perfectly rational) person, but he was dumbfounded. "I don't know", he said, "there's no way of knowing."

He then asked Barry. Barry was equally intelligent and rational, but he also could not say.

The guard said, "I regret that I have to execute you three, but seeing as Carl is blind, he's not going to know. You have failed."

But ...Carl knew what color hat he wore! How could that be?
admin tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2016, 04:47 PM   #24
Robert Linford
Researcher Extraordinaire

Carl says that he's wearing a white hat.

If Carl was wearing a black hat, and the other two had one white and one black, then the one wearing the white would see two blacks and instantly deduce that his was white, But that hasn't happened.

And if Carl had a black and the other two both had white, then each would see Carl's black and deduce that theirs must be white since no one has called out 'I have white,' on account of seeing two blacks.

So Carl is wearing white.
Robert Linford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2016, 06:01 PM   #25
CGP
Former Member

Or you could reason as follows:

(1) If Albert had seen two black hats, he could have deduced that his own hat was white. He didn't, so Albert must have seen at least one white hat.

(2) Barry was aware that Albert must have seen at least one white hat. So if Carl's hat had been black, Barry could have deduced that his own hat was white. He didn't, so Carl's hat must have been white.
CGP is offline   Reply With Quote