Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Other Ripper Notables

Other Ripper Notables Assorted and Sundry Supporting Players in the Cast of 1000s.

Old January 7th, 2017, 01:31 PM   #11
Sean Crundall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Barnett View Post
Hi Sean,

I'll look out for it. Holland seems a nice, avuncular sort of old geezer.

Gary
Hi Gary,

George Holland was very much the archetypal Christian philanthropist. People, then and now, often tend to be sceptical of the motives of such people, but there is little doubt that these kindly and well meaning individuals did much to alleviate suffering and help improve the lot of many East Enders.

Your family history makes fascinating reading!

My regards,

Sean.
Sean Crundall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2017, 02:06 PM   #12
Gary Barnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Crundall View Post
Hi Gary,

George Holland was very much the archetypal Christian philanthropist. People, then and now, often tend to be sceptical of the motives of such people, but there is little doubt that these kindly and well meaning individuals did much to alleviate suffering and help improve the lot of many East Enders.

Your family history makes fascinating reading!

My regards,

Sean.
I'm sure Holland and his ilk changed a lot of lives for the better. My grandad was something of a minor 'Spitalfields terror' from what I can tell. He wound up serving 4 years in Dartmoor at the same time as Charles Grand and it was only after he had met my nan in Shovel Alley that he finally settled down(ish).

I'm not sure how he ended up in St. Georges because Spitalfields was his 'manor'. One of his mates was a guy called Tommy 'The Dip' McCarthy and there were a few McCarthys in Shovel Alley, so that may be the reason.

What was it Joni Mitchell said - you don't know what you've got till it's gone? What I wouldn't now give for a couple of hours in the company of any one of my grandparents.
Gary Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2017, 02:55 PM   #13
Gary Barnett

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  168.6 KB
Old January 7th, 2017, 02:56 PM   #14
Gary Barnett

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  260.9 KB
Old January 7th, 2017, 05:12 PM   #15
Christer Holmgren
Researcher

Quote:
Not bad, is it?

The man went on to marry a woman who had been born in Breezer's Hill and who was living in Pinchin Street at the time of the wedding... and there's plenty more, even without the Winthrop Street knackers.
Itīs a small area, and people were generally stationary within it, so one should probably not be too surprised by a number of people encircling a good many of the Ripper-related venues - but it is always totally fascinating to hear about it in this manner. I can well see where much of your interest comes from, and how genuine it must be!

When Edward and I made our presentation in St Johns church, there was a woman who came up to us afterwards and talked to us, disclosing that Thomas Haynes Cutbush was an ancestor of hers. In such instances something happens, a whiff of 1888 East End air passes by, and the rules of chronology and time are momentarily dissolved.

Those are precious moments, and you presented such a moment with your post. Thanks for that, Gary!
Old January 7th, 2017, 05:48 PM   #16
Gary Barnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christer Holmgren View Post
Itīs a small area, and people were generally stationary within it, so one should probably not be too surprised by a number of people encircling a good many of the Ripper-related venues - but it is always totally fascinating to hear about it in this manner. I can well see where much of your interest comes from, and how genuine it must be!

When Edward and I made our presentation in St Johns church, there was a woman who came up to us afterwards and talked to us, disclosing that Thomas Haynes Cutbush was an ancestor of hers. In such instances something happens, a whiff of 1888 East End air passes by, and the rules of chronology and time are momentarily dissolved.

Those are precious moments, and you presented such a moment with your post. Thanks for that, Gary!
You're more than welcome, Christer. What I didn't mention was that my grandad's address on his marriage cert was Mary Ann Street - which I'm sure you will also recognise.

When was your presentation? Sounds like something I would have liked to have attended.
Old January 8th, 2017, 03:59 AM   #17
Christer Holmgren
Researcher

Quote:
You're more than welcome, Christer. What I didn't mention was that my grandad's address on his marriage cert was Mary Ann Street - which I'm sure you will also recognise.

When was your presentation? Sounds like something I would have liked to have attended.
It was on the 124:th anniversary of the Nichols murder back in 2012. And yes, Mary Ann Street does sound vaguely familiar... sort of.
Old January 9th, 2017, 03:26 PM   #18
Sean Crundall

Evening, Gary.

Thanks for posting the two sketches. The first one actually appears in Walker's book.

Thanks also for sharing your family info.; very interesting...and very intriguing!

Another interesting book, is Harold Murray's 'Twixt Aldgate Pump and Poplar (The Story of 50 Years Adventure in East London). Published in 1935 by The Epworth Press.

Chapter 3 contains the following:

"I may add that it was in 1888 that this fiendish series of murders took place in Whitechapel. They were popularly attributed to 'Jack the Ripper', because the name first appeared as a signature to a bogus letter which was treated as possibly authentic, and was given undue publicity by Scotland Yard. Notwithstanding the peculiar character of the murders both as regards locality and victims, there was a general panic, a great many excitable people declaring that the evil one was revisiting the earth. Feeling ran very high against Scotland Yard and the C.I.D. for their failure to lay hands on the murderer. Speculations are still being made as to his identity. Reliable authorities have stated that he escaped by committing suicide at the end of 1888".

My regards,

Sean.
Sean Crundall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2017, 01:13 PM   #19
Gary Barnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Crundall View Post
Evening, Gary.

Thanks for posting the two sketches. The first one actually appears in Walker's book.

Thanks also for sharing your family info.; very interesting...and very intriguing!

Another interesting book, is Harold Murray's 'Twixt Aldgate Pump and Poplar (The Story of 50 Years Adventure in East London). Published in 1935 by The Epworth Press.

Chapter 3 contains the following:

"I may add that it was in 1888 that this fiendish series of murders took place in Whitechapel. They were popularly attributed to 'Jack the Ripper', because the name first appeared as a signature to a bogus letter which was treated as possibly authentic, and was given undue publicity by Scotland Yard. Notwithstanding the peculiar character of the murders both as regards locality and victims, there was a general panic, a great many excitable people declaring that the evil one was revisiting the earth. Feeling ran very high against Scotland Yard and the C.I.D. for their failure to lay hands on the murderer. Speculations are still being made as to his identity. Reliable authorities have stated that he escaped by committing suicide at the end of 1888".

My regards,

Sean.
Hi Sean,

Have you ever come across this?

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 32
Size:  164.1 KB

Gary
Old January 10th, 2017, 01:55 PM   #20
Gary Barnett

Default Lax

'Lax' was another well-meaning Christian, a Methodist minister, who spent much of his career in Poplar. It's a funny little book, full of amusing stories about the local people.

One of them is about a man named 'John Nobody' (apparently not his real name) who frequently called at Lax's house asking for a tanner for his doss money.

I tried looking for him under that name and found a John Nobody living in Barrow-On-Soar in 1841 and a man of the same age (i.e. born 1821*) living in Bradford in 1851. The 1851 man was married to a Betsey and they had a daughter named Mary Ann (so presumably Polly) whose place of birth was given as 'on the road'. How romantic is that? Polly Nobody, born 'on the road'.

*Probably too old to be Lax's man.