Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Other Ripper Notables

Other Ripper Notables Assorted and Sundry Supporting Players in the Cast of 1000s.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 10th, 2017, 12:59 PM   #21
Robert Linford
Researcher Extraordinaire
 
Robert Linford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 18,064
Default

Christer, I don't suppose you remember the 'Cutbush' woman's name?
Robert Linford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2017, 01:04 PM   #22
Gary Barnett
Registered User
 
Gary Barnett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Romford
Posts: 5,771
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Linford View Post
Christer, I don't suppose you remember the 'Cutbush' woman's name?
Rob,

One of the taxi-drivers at my local firm claims to be descended from Cutbush. He reckons his daughter has researched it and he promised to find out about it for me, but it never materialised. The guy lives in the Romford area, I think, and he is an habitué of Happy Days in Goulston Street.

Gary
Gary Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2017, 01:35 PM   #23
Gary Barnett
Registered User
 
Gary Barnett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Romford
Posts: 5,771
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Barnett View Post
Rob,

One of the taxi-drivers at my local firm claims to be descended from Cutbush. He reckons his daughter has researched it and he promised to find out about it for me, but it never materialised. The guy lives in the Romford area, I think, and he is an habitué of Happy Days in Goulston Street.

Gary

Just for the record, I don't make a habit of broaching the subject of JTR with complete strangers (I'm worried they might think I'm weird). But in this case, the driver made the mistake of asking me what I was doing at the weekend and I told him I was having a short break in Whitechapel (I'd booked the Landmark Trust house in Princelet Street for a few days). I said Whitechapel rather than Spitalfields to get a rise out of him, which it did, and the conversation then drifted on to Happy Days and Cutbush.

On another occasion I was in a taxi (different driver) with Mrs B, our daughter and grandkids on our way to Waterloo station. The driver obviously picked up on the fact that I was given the kids a running commentary on the history of the areas we were passing through and thought he'd add his two penn'orth. I kid you not, as we were passing Breezers Hill along The Highway he announced 'Old Jack the Ripper used to hang about here.' (Or words to that effect.) The grandkids looked at me and sniggered, but I didn't say a word.
Gary Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2017, 01:51 PM   #24
Christer Holmgren
Researcher
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,306
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Linford View Post
Christer, I don't suppose you remember the 'Cutbush' woman's name?
No, sorry. There were three of us, as I remember it, who met her, me, Edward and - as I remember things - a guy who was the secretary of the Whitechapel Society. Maybe they can help where I cannot, I don´t know.
__________________
"In these matters it is the little things that tell the tales" - Coroner Wynne Baxter during the Nichols inquest.
Christer Holmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2017, 02:06 PM   #25
Sean Crundall
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Blackheath, London.
Posts: 562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Barnett View Post
Hi Sean,

Have you ever come across this?

Attachment 17138

Gary
Hi Gary,

I'd not heard of Lax's autobiography before, but I've now purchased a copy on e-bay. Thanks!

Lax also wrote other books: Let's Go to Poplar (1937) and Adventures in Poplar (1933).

Many such Christian texts are often well worth tracking down.

My regards,

Sean.
Sean Crundall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2017, 02:27 PM   #26
Robert Linford
Researcher Extraordinaire
 
Robert Linford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 18,064
Default

Ok, thanks Christer and Gary.
Robert Linford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2017, 03:37 PM   #27
Gary Barnett
Registered User
 
Gary Barnett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Romford
Posts: 5,771
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Crundall View Post
Hi Gary,

I'd not heard of Lax's autobiography before, but I've now purchased a copy on e-bay. Thanks!

Lax also wrote other books: Let's Go to Poplar (1937) and Adventures in Poplar (1933).

Many such Christian texts are often well worth tracking down.

My regards,

Sean.
Hi Sean,

Here's an example of the delights in store for you:

It was a terribly hot day and Lax was mopping the perspiration from his face as he walked along a certain back street. A little urchin saw the minister's discomfort, and, running across the doorway, saluted with mock solemnity.

'What little animal wouldn't yer like to be now, Mr Lax,' he queried.

'What little animal?' repeated Lax. ' Why, I shouldn't like to be a fly.'

'A fly's not an animal,' retorted the child with contempt; 'a fly's a bird.'

'Well, I give it up!' said the minister.

'Well, yer wouldn't want to be a little 'otter, would yer, sir?' said he, with a knowing wink, and then ran off.


Enjoy!

Gary
Gary Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2017, 03:52 PM   #28
Sean Crundall
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Blackheath, London.
Posts: 562
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Barnett View Post
Hi Sean,

Here's an example of the delights in store for you:

It was a terribly hot day and Lax was mopping the perspiration from his face as he walked along a certain back street. A little urchin saw the minister's discomfort, and, running across the doorway, saluted with mock solemnity.

'What little animal wouldn't yer like to be now, Mr Lax,' he queried.

'What little animal?' repeated Lax. ' Why, I shouldn't like to be a fly.'

'A fly's not an animal,' retorted the child with contempt; 'a fly's a bird.'

'Well, I give it up!' said the minister.

'Well, yer wouldn't want to be a little 'otter, would yer, sir?' said he, with a knowing wink, and then ran off.


Enjoy!

Gary
Hi Gary,

A tad melodramatic, methinks

My regards,

Sean.
Sean Crundall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2017, 04:05 PM   #29
Gary Barnett
Registered User
 
Gary Barnett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Romford
Posts: 5,771
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Crundall View Post
Hi Gary,

A tad melodramatic, methinks

My regards,

Sean.
Caveat emptor, I'm afraid...
Gary Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2017, 05:04 PM   #30
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Eagleville, Pa.
Posts: 71,664
Default

Bob, Christer.....

It was this lady :




http://www.eastlondonadvertiser.co.u...eory_1_3848354
__________________
To Join JTR Forums, Contact :
Howard@jtrforums.com
Howard Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
John Simmonds Colin Roberts Suspects and Theories 21 May 13th, 2013 06:57 PM
Annie Chapman Howard Brown The Inquests 1 September 18th, 2012 07:11 PM
George Street/George Yard ca. 1888 gjcab09 Answer Please ! 2 May 25th, 2010 08:05 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10 Beta 2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright @ Howard & Nina Brown 2015-2022