Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Board Announcements > In Memoriam > Chris Scott

Old March 22nd, 2014, 04:13 PM   #21
Gumshoe

Sad, indeed. Very Sad.

I used to look forward to the Press Trawl every issue of the Rip. He will be missed by those in the field.

Rest In Peace.
Gumshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2014, 04:43 PM   #22
Tom_Wescott
Researcher and Award Winning Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumshoe View Post
Sad, indeed. Very Sad.

I used to look forward to the Press Trawl every issue of the Rip. He will be missed by those in the field.

Rest In Peace.
I can't speak for Adam, but we might still have this to look forward to. Chris would provide Rip with tons of articles and they (and not Chris) would select the ones to include in each issue. This is how Press Trawl would occasionally fit into a 'theme' provided by the cover story of that issue.

I understand that Chris had two co-authors for his Mary Kelly redux, Justin and one other. I wonder if they intend to carry through with the work? I know Chris had put a lot of time into that. We exchanged some PM's and e-mails on the matter when I submitted a couple of items I thought might be of interest to him.

We also discussed his fiction writing - which should not be overlooked as he was quite talented. Actually, the publication of his e-book is what got me thinking about doing fiction again when I was ill. I dusted off an old story, cleaned it up, and submitted it to an anthology. It was accepted on a first submission which is damn near unheard of. And now that BHM is out I'm back to doing fiction for a while. And Chris was a big influence in that decision.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
Tom_Wescott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2014, 05:58 PM   #23
Paul

I am shocked by the very sad news of Chris Scott's death. When I was in intensive care and wired up to a bank of machines and in a pain I don't really want to know again, I read Chris Scott's captivating The King Sword. I'm not a huge fan of fantasy, but Chris's sublime prose captured me. They got me through a hard time. I don't know what I'd have done without that book. The story has stuck in my mind and only the other day I re read it and posted a review on Amazon - the only time I have ever posted a review there. I should have told him how much I loved his book, but I never did. I will always regret that. As for his research, we all know about it. He set the standard. He will be greatly missed.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2014, 06:10 PM   #24
Chris G.

Shocking news indeed. Rest in peace, Chris Scott.

While it is not nice for levity at such a moment. . . I never had the privilege to meet Chris Scott but I did have the occasion to be introduced as Chris Scott by the late Jeremy Beadle at the Brighton Ripper conference. To have had that honor still resonates with me.

Best regards

Chris
For info about RipperCon in Baltimore, MD,
April 7-8, 2018, go to http://rippercon.com/
Chris G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2014, 08:11 PM   #25
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Something for April regarding yesterday's passing of our great friend.

http://www.jtrforums.com/showthread....422#post232422
Old March 22nd, 2014, 09:22 PM   #26
Adam Went
Researcher

Shocked and stunned to learn of this news. As so many have said before me, Chris set the bar very high when it came to research and writing in Ripperology. IMO especially the work that he did in establishing the biographical information on suspects, victims and witnesses involved in the JTR case is invaluable and will remain a constant tribute to him.

RIP Chris and my condolences to everyone close to him.
Adam Went is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2014, 03:21 PM   #27
Jon Horlor
Researcher

I was added as a Facebook friend by Chris after I sought his advice regarding MJK a few years ago. He probably thought I was mad as a hatter with a wild theory but he was supportive and helpful. For one of the best researchers around to take the time to respond to someone he neither knew or had heard of...let alone offer advice...was a show of what a great man he was.

His MJK book takes pride of place on my shelf and I will forever listen to the podcasts that he took part in.

R.I.P. Chris

I hope you now know the answer to the MJK question.
Jon Horlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2014, 03:53 PM   #28
Cogidubnus
Derelict and Drifting

I first saw this news on the other site and it deeply saddened me...I'd never met Chris but we'd exchanged the odd pm or email...generally me asking some dumb question...but he was always so kind and courteous..

Like Paul, Tom and some others, I was deeply impressed by his fiction stuff too...what a great loss

Dave
Cogidubnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2014, 06:20 PM   #29
Big Jon
Researcher

Very sad news. I didn't know Chris that well, but he was a fine researcher. My thoughts are with his family and loved ones.

"It is far more comfortable to point a finger and declare someone a devil, than to call upon your imagination to try to understand their world."

http://www.jlrees.co.uk

Big Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2014, 07:43 PM   #30
Robert Linford
Researcher Extraordinaire

From AP :

I absolutely loved the man for his rapid and avid attention for detail and correctness, and I loved him for his vim whenever I challenged his findings, because he knew he was right, and I was wrong, but that is love, in honest combat you build love, never hate or prejudice. Chris is, and was, the ultimate gentleman, and always will be. A man, and a very good man, he has my love and affection for being the incredible chap he was, always.
Robert Linford is offline   Reply With Quote