Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Book Of The Month

Old April 8th, 2014, 08:01 PM   #11
Tom_Wescott
Researcher and Award Winning Author

Default Publishing in the 21st century

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bennett View Post
It's not necessarily that we "don't wish" to discuss it, it's just that nobody seems to be discussing it. It doesn't even have a review on amazon yet.

JB
Hi John. I'm going to be writing a review, but I confess I skipped the Carrie Brown chapter. So I'm going to read that first and then write a glowing review. You have a publisher's weekly review and due to that press your sales don't look to be all that bad. And I believe you have a review from a top rated reviewer. I think you haven't received too many reviews yet because your publishers put that gouging price on the Kindle edition, so everyone's buying the hard back (which is the point of the gouging kindle price). And therefore it takes longer to receive and read and thus review. Just my thoughts. And also, most people won't write reviews until they get that e-mail a month later saying 'Please review this product'. 99% of people who buy books in stores won't think to write a review online. I've likewise had a lot of people tell me on facebook or e-mail how much they liked my book but can't be arsed to write a review on Amazon. I don't blame them. I was the same way before I published and learned how important reader reviews are nowadays.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

P.S. Authors marketing books themselves drives up sales. Publishers don't really market any more, particularly online which is where it counts. Take a look at the facebook page for my book. It keeps me getting daily sales...every single day... and my book's been out almost two months now. That and the podcasts, etc will be out there FOREVER driving new readers. Reviews in journals or newspapers cause a spike for about a week then disappear. The only print journal I sent my book to was Fortean Times because I like them.
Tom_Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2014, 10:25 AM   #12
Lemonjelly
Researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Brown View Post
Lemon:
Since you've begun reading John and Paul's book, lets stick with that then....and please provide your review....
Thank you.
Will do How - as soon as I finish it!
Lemonjelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2014, 06:46 PM   #13
Lemonjelly
Researcher

OK, have literally just finished Mr Begg & Mr Bennetts book (& as I am moving, have hastily packed it away safely!)

First off, a quite serious book, in as much as it is a YUP book, lovely binding & cover. Makes it an attractive book.

Immensely thorough in it's layout. More akin to a reference book. The sources, notes sections and index are massively thorough, and of major use to any student of this work. Minor gripe of a personal issue, is I would've liked a bibliography as well, but can understand why there isn't one, given the thoroughly detailed notes sections & references in the text.

Very readable in style - the book, though very serious, is also immensely accessible.

There were 2 instances in the first 2-3 chapters where I felt there was an element of repetition (sorry, can't recall exactly what, but 2 issues were covered in very similar language & tone twice). However this was an anomaly, as the rest of the book did not repeat this trait.

Very thorough section regarding Coles/Sadler. Some other chapters may have benefited from a little more depth (particularly the non-UK murders/incidents) however I'm not aware of how much (volume wise) has been omitted.

I think I'd have liked a longer afterword/conclusion chapter. The book is very impartial throughout, but I felt this leaves a little to be desired, in as much as a comparison of these non-canonical crimes in a little, or even a lot more detail weighing the possibilities of them being more likely/less likely to be Ripper victims or not would have been a nice addition (or a compare/contrast of the similarities/differences?). However I assume that the authors are/were more interested in bringing these crimes into the spotlight for discussion, with their focus being highlighting the known/published facts. That said, sometimes it can be nice/insightful to get an opinion, or even to be asked some questions as a reader.

Definitely an important book. One that will take an important place on the bookshelf and be read again, rather than one which will be a side interest. Definitely value for money.

I'd be interested to know whether the authors feel any of these crimes are/were committed by the ripper (or at least if they feel it is more likely than not). I appreciate they may have answered this question before - apologies if I am repeating old ground, but I'm not the most prolific poster/reader of many threads here/casebook.
Old April 23rd, 2014, 06:47 PM   #14
Lemonjelly
Researcher

In addition, the book prevented me from starting Toms book, which I will be reading next.
Old April 23rd, 2014, 06:59 PM   #15
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Lemon:
Thanks an awful lot for the time and effort with the review !
I also enjoyed the Coles/Sadler section....the whole book, as a matter of fact, but there were a few chapters that stood out for me.
One other was the one regarding the Estina Crawford murder....I didn't know 95 percent of the material Paul and John wrote about.
Old April 24th, 2014, 09:19 AM   #16
Lemonjelly
Researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Brown View Post
Lemon:
Thanks an awful lot for the time and effort with the review !
I also enjoyed the Coles/Sadler section....the whole book, as a matter of fact, but there were a few chapters that stood out for me.
One other was the one regarding the Estina Crawford murder....I didn't know 95 percent of the material Paul and John wrote about.
I'd agree. The elucidation of the pre-canonical victims also was excellent, and has got me champing at the bit to start Toms book, which will hopefully be some time today.

I also have never before read about the torso victims. Initially I was a bit perplexed by them being covered seperately, but on reflection it worked brilliantly. I think the chronological treatment of events is superb. Lumping all the torso victims together would have implied they were all by the same author (likely, but not guaranteed) & I suspect that the authors may feel that the torso victims were not all by the same killer - but that is a supposition on my part.
Old April 24th, 2014, 05:47 PM   #17
Cogidubnus
Derelict and Drifting

Default Oh what apathy!

So we sit here offering reviews on books which we, of all folk, are probably best-placed to critique...so why aren't we out there, putting those same reviews up on the place where we likely bought those books, (Amazon et al), hence not only doing the authors a bit of good, but more importantly, propagating to the general public, a bit of the the "knowledge", the difference between a genuinely good crime book and a heap of crap?

Mine is still to this date the only Amazon.uk review of this book up there...and frankly that's a bloody disgrace...If you want these books to be genuinely appreciated for what they are...if you want the authors to be encouraged to publish another one, then pull your bloody finger out and do something!

I'm not suggesting you falsely promote a book...just make an effort and give some genuine fedback!

Sermon over

All the best

Dave
Cogidubnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2014, 06:21 PM   #18
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Dave:
Thanks for those words and I agree...we ought to do more for our people.

I posted my review just now, Dave....

Jack the Ripper
~Yale University Press
(3)

Outstanding, April 24, 2014
By Howard Brown

This review is from: Jack the Ripper: The Forgotten Victims (Hardcover)
Messrs Begg and Bennett have put together an excellent work. Not only will the book provide much new information for the average person with a marginal or above average interest in crime, but many a Ripperologist (such as myself ) will be delightfully surprised ( such as I was ! ) reading seldom seen information and facts related to crimes such as the Estina Crawford ( 1888 ) murder and the Gateshead (1888) Murder case....as well as murders outside of the canonicals ( Nichols, Chapman, Stride, Eddowes, and Kelly), such as Clay Pipe Alice Mackenzie, Frances Coles, and several other murder victims.
Highly recommended.
Sincerely
Howard Brown
Proprietor
Jack The Ripper Forums
Old May 2nd, 2014, 05:13 PM   #19
Wolf Vanderlinden
Researcher/Ripper Notes Editor

Here's what I thought about Jack the Ripper The Forgotten Victims (from my own notes):

"A look at non canonical victims who may, or may not, have been Ripper victims. Some of these women, Martha Tabram for instance, may have actually been killed by Jack the Ripper, whilst others, like Estina Crawford, certainly weren't and Elizabeth Senior was never seriously considered. It is difficult, therefore, to see the actual point of the book other than ‘here are some dead women who someone, no matter how deluded, at some time, has suggested were killed by Jack the Ripper.’ And, really, are women like Emma Smith, Martha Tabram and Francis Coles truly “forgotten?” I would have to disagree. However, the book is well written and enjoyable to read, though not for the well-read enthusiast. Having said that, the chapter, American Swansong?, dealing with the Carrie Brown and Elizabeth Senior murders, was so filled with errors that I found it tough to read. The casual reader probably won’t notice, or likely care, but I found it to be a jarringly sloppy ending to an otherwise good book."

Wolf.
Wolf Vanderlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2014, 05:25 PM   #20
Cogidubnus
Derelict and Drifting

And with all due respect, (which I sincerely mean), apart from here, where does this review appear?

All the best

Dave
Cogidubnus is offline   Reply With Quote