Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Board Announcements > Assorted Congratulations

Assorted Congratulations Forum for plaudits and kudos for all occasions

Old October 10th, 2014, 08:30 PM   #1
admin tim

Default It's chili today, but hot tamale

FYI - My 'Pray for Death' chili recipe placed first in my company's annual chili cookoff. There were 12 teams and some of the worst chili ever made, but we persevered and won the runoff. Trophy photos below.

Finally got this photo after almost a week - will attach one of the booth later.

We were 'Chili's Angels' (hence the fallen angel and haloed angel below). All four people you see here are chemical engineers, believe it or not, and these women are my co-workers (the missing 5th member is one of my clients). The baubles on the earrings of the two on the right are actually small orange habanero peppers (everyone thought they were pumpkins). More pearls before swine. From left to right - Theresa, Vanessa, and Lee. I'm in the rear, if you had not figured that out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3589.JPG (87.1 KB, 23 views)
admin tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2014, 08:33 PM   #2
Cogidubnus
Derelict and Drifting

Is it called "Pray for death" because it's suicidally hot, or is the nickname just that?

Details please

All the best

Dave

BOTH! Some people thought it was way too hot, but the truth is that it was maybe about half as hot as I make it for my own consumption. Gotta have a catchy name for the competitions, as you will see in the next photo posted.
Cogidubnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2014, 08:38 PM   #3
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Dave:
When Tim says the other contestants chili was bad fare, he forgets that bad chili in Texas is probably far better than chili in say, Maine or Rhode Island. I make good chili myself ( Living in Texas 40 years ago rubbed off on me a little).....but Texas chili by Texans is the best. I ate it in one form or the other 5 days a week for over three years back in '69-'72...without exaggeration.

Its probably too 'warm' for most non-Southwesterner's tongues to enjoy.
Old October 10th, 2014, 08:46 PM   #4
Cris Malone
Historian

Never got bad chili in Texas. My own recipe was stolen from Texas and works well with venison to armadillo.
"Objectivity comes from how the evidence is treated, not the nature of the evidence itself. Historians can be just as objective as any scientist."
Cris Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2014, 08:58 PM   #5
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Cris:
During school lunch in High School, we used to go to this joint across the street that catered to the student crowd. They had a 25 cent concoction called 'Frito Pie'.
They took a bag of regular Fritos...split it down the side...and loaded it to overflowing with chili...great stuff too....for 25 cents. I used 30 cents for a pack of Marlboros...and the rest for two 15-18 inch long fresh, homemade burritos loaded with whatever you wanted. All for under a dollar....95 cents in fact. The tortillas they made just made my mouth water thinking about it after 42 years or so. Frigging great food....best part of school, next to the miniskirts on girls.
All the above costs about $13 now.
Old October 10th, 2014, 09:01 PM   #6
Cogidubnus
Derelict and Drifting

Hi How

The equivalent argument in the UK is often over curry...

To be fair curry is very much a joint Anglo-Indian thing...as a result, what you eat over here in restaurants and takeaways, despite often being cooked by Indian people resident in the UK, is not at all what Indian people, resident in Asia (or even Africa), cook or eat...

And nonetheless, what is represented as the "better curry" here is often simply the "hottest"... which is clearly an absurd argument ignoring the subtleties of flavour and emphasis introduced by, for example, regional variations...in my experience some of the best curries I've tasted have been fairly subtle...especially the Nepalese ones (Oh god I loved the food from Johnny Gurkha in Aldershot!)...

So, (bearing in mind it's subjective anyway), is your favourite Chili the hottest or the tastiest?

Cheers

Dave
Cogidubnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2014, 09:14 PM   #7
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Tastiest, Dave.

I like mine with finely ground meat...as fine as oatmeal ( I haven't had that in 30 years, though....and since Nina isn't nuts over beans or chili, we don't eat chili anymore).
Very finely diced onions....the juice of the hot pepper involved ( jalapeno or cayenne ) but not the pepper itself.
The beans can be frijoles colorados ( red beans ) which are round, not kidney shaped....but kidney beans are great and good for you too.

Some of the stuff my Mexican co-workers have eaten at work over the years has been excessively hot....too hot to enjoy, IMHO>
I've eaten candy that one or two of my Mexican friends offered...and it nearly took the roof of my mouth off.
Old October 11th, 2014, 05:03 AM   #8
Paul Colwell
Researcher

Hello chaps!

I love hot food, but have to agree that tasty wins over fiery. The hottest chili I ever had was called "Chili Diablo" at a Mexican Restaurant. The hottest dish I ever had (several of) was a "Bangalore Phal (Phall)". This Indian meal came with a health warning - and I'm not kidding! But the most enjoyable Indian meal I ever had, however, was just a humble "Lamb Jalfrezi": a bit spicy, but bloody beautiful! Unfortunately, the restaurant that created this masterpiece closed down

And, yes, as Dave said, Indian food here in the UK is not really Indian at all for the most part.
Paul Colwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2014, 06:25 AM   #9
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Colwell View Post
Hello chaps!

I love hot food, but have to agree that tasty wins over fiery. The hottest chili I ever had was called "Chili Diablo" at a Mexican Restaurant. The hottest dish I ever had (several of) was a "Bangalore Phal (Phall)". This Indian meal came with a health warning - and I'm not kidding! But the most enjoyable Indian meal I ever had, however, was just a humble "Lamb Jalfrezi": a bit spicy, but bloody beautiful! Unfortunately, the restaurant that created this masterpiece closed down

And, yes, as Dave said, Indian food here in the UK is not really Indian at all for the most part.
You are all, everyone of you, off my Christmas card list as of now. Talking about chilli and curry as I try to microwave some frozen dinner that includes something that passes as mashed potato. You are cruel people. Hear me - CRUEL.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2014, 06:44 AM   #10
Sam Flynn
Owl Catcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Colwell View Post
Hello chaps!

I love hot food, but have to agree that tasty wins over fiery.
Same here, Paul. Jalfrezis usually have about the right balance for me, and - as at the Monsoon in Brick Lane - often come with whole chili peppers that are easy to take out if necessary (not that I ever do... in fact, I usually ask for extra!).

For sheer flavour, Rogun (extra tomatoes), Dopiaza (extra onions) and Methi (fenugreek) based curries are really tasty, and I like a bitter-sweet Pathia now and then.

That said, I enjoy blow-your-head-off curries/chillis too. With curry sauces out of a jar, when flavour isn't quite as subtle as in a good restaurant, I'll usually pep them up with a good helping of Naga or Trinidad Scorpion peppers. And by "a good helping" I mean no more than half a teaspoon... that's usually lethal enough

"Suche Nullen"
(F. Nietzsche)

Sam Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote