Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Book Of The Month

Old November 6th, 2014, 10:12 PM   #1
Maria Birbili
historian/musicologist

Default November 2014: massacres on the stage

My book just got on the market and it's on amazon.de, amazon.com, amazon.co.uk, and amazon.fr. Too early for reviews though. Needs a few weeks. Though the real reviews will appear in the published press.

It should reach libraries around the world by late November/mid December. There's no Kindle edition yet, but readers from amazon.de can order as a Kindle, and the publisher will prepare one.

Book's just under 400p long, in German with lots of French/Italian quotes, and minimal English quotes. But I'm planning an American version (a slight adaptation, not a simple translation) in a couple years, possibly to be published by the UofC Press.

http://www.amazon.com/Die-Politisier...5225590&sr=1-1

And I didn't set the price, lol, the publisher did. But it'll mostly be purchased by libraries, institutions, and Profs all over the world, and they can afford it. Students and opera amateurs/social historians can borrow it from the library. There are less than 500 copies issued on the market, and there won't be a second edition. So far it has sold 50 copies in Germany.
Old November 6th, 2014, 10:22 PM   #2
Maria Birbili
historian/musicologist

English translation of the back cover:

The Politicization of Opera in the 19th Century

The book examines the effects of the French Revolution on 19th century opera. After discussing the opera of the French Revolution, Neapolitan opera under French administration in the Napoleonic era, and the historical operas Rossini's for Paris, Birbili interprets the genre of grand opéra as a merging of French staging traditions with Italian formal structure. Based on numerous newly discovered sources, the book considers a central period in the history of 19th century opera from a new angle, and demonstrates that the aggressive dramaturgy of grand opéra and of Italian Risorgimento opera is a product of the trauma of the French Revolution, as experienced by the contemporaries.

Key words:

post-traumatic stress syndrome in the arts – opera and politics – the French Revolution as an acculturation process – Étienne Jouy as a librettist – massacre on the opera stage – Rossini's historical operas for Paris – Eugène Scribe as a librettist – grand opéra – Giacomo Meyerbeer – the politicized dramaturgy of grand opéra – new research results on Giacomo Meyerbeer – French influences in Italian Risorgimento opera
Old November 7th, 2014, 03:59 AM   #3
Dave James
Researcher

Congratulations, Maria, hope it does well for you. How long did it take you to prepare?
Old November 7th, 2014, 08:17 AM   #4
Maria Birbili
historian/musicologist

Thank you so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave James View Post
How long did it take you to prepare?
To write, about 2 years. To wait to sign with the publisher, a couple years, MUCH longer than it took me to write the book. To do some rewrites and finalize the style sheet, several weeks, in stages.
Old November 7th, 2014, 08:46 AM   #5
Jon Simons

Very impressive, Maria. Congratulations !!
Jon Simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2014, 10:37 AM   #6
Tom_Wescott
Researcher and Award Winning Author

Mucho congrats to Maria. That's a huge accomplishment.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
Tom_Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2014, 12:28 PM   #7
Sam Flynn
Owl Catcher

Maria

Ich gratuliere Ihnen! Wenn ein Kindle-Version auf Amazon.co.uk verfügbar wird, bitte lassen Sie mich wissen!

"Suche Nullen"
(F. Nietzsche)

Sam Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2014, 03:23 PM   #8
Maria Birbili
historian/musicologist

Thanks so much, everyone.

"Accomplishment", not sure, but I'm glad it finally went to press.

I even had oysters and champagne this afternoon at the department store, as a celebratory gesture, but I'm about to keel over, was running around campus all day, from one office to the next, submitting stupid paperwork in order to receive the official document for my dr title, and the University gave me a silly document called "permission to publish" where my 2 doctoral advisors are required to sign. So now I'm chasing those 2 guys per email, phone, and fax, lol. But this won't affect the book, it's sheer bureaucracy about my title.

I'm looking forward to Monty's book coming out in December, and to Tom's second one.
Old November 7th, 2014, 03:40 PM   #9
Maria Birbili
historian/musicologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
Wenn ein Kindle-Version auf Amazon.co.uk verfügbar wird, bitte lassen Sie mich wissen!
One can order a Kindle version only from amazon.de (http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/3631...5391957&sr=1-1, if you go to "Ich möchte dieses Buch auf dem Kindle lesen. Den Verlag informieren", but the price as a Kindle is not set yet.

But Gareth, if you'd like to give me your email address, I can send you a pdf. The pics quality will not be at 100%, but they still read OK. I'd be very grateful for an (objective) review on amazon.co-uk, since I have noone in the UK who could do this. (Though I have an idea about whom to ask.) Mostly I have people who will review in France, the US, and Germany.

Thank you so much for your interest.

And btw, there's quite a bit of music analysis in there, but also analysis of the staging, TONS of new sources presented, and LOTS of political discussion. So it's not sterile. Plus the few people who have read it so far (all of them German) unanimously said that they "enjoyed the sarcasm".
Old November 7th, 2014, 04:13 PM   #10
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Congratulations, Maria....best of luck with the book !