Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > JTRForums Competition Forum

Old October 23rd, 2007, 03:00 PM   #21
Robert Linford
Researcher Extraordinaire

As a Duke, of course, Joe has his own little refreshments.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg houseoflord6.jpg (17.2 KB, 44 views)
Robert Linford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 06:10 PM   #22
Magpie
Researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Chetcuti View Post

Please tell me if I got this right or not...

* "21 years ago" in 1986, Morrison organized a task which resulted in having a headstone placed on Mary Kelly's grave.

* http://www.casebook.org/dissertations/rip-funeralmjk.html

In February 1998, Ripperologist published an article by James Marsh which stated that in 1888, not 1886, a headstone supplied by John Sears was carved for Mary Kelly's grave.

* And now if I understand this, Magpie is telling us that this headstone that was supplied and carved by John Sears didn't end up on Kelly's grave after all.

I'm typing this with a light-heart, so relax everyone! But it strikes me odd that a 1998 article was published which spoke of a headstone for Mary Kelly getting carved...which was never placed on her grave.

Sincerely,

Duke Chetcuti
Prince of Hairsplit
Actually, Your Grace, with the exception of my gender, you got it right

Yes the stone was requested, yes it was carved, and yes it was placed on a grave. The problem was that it wasn't Kelly's grave. Alas Morrison, with admirable intentions sadly unsupported by geographical savvy, had the stone placed on the wrong grave entirely. Morrison's 1986 stone was removed (and I believe disappeared) and sometime in the 90's the current gravestone was placed on the correct grave.

(the 1988 date is incorrect, but probably grew out of a misunderstanding that the erection of the gravestone coincided with the centenary of the murders)

Karen Trenouth
Magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 07:21 PM   #23
Joe Chetcuti
Former Member

Well Robert, you know I did blow my mind out in a car once
I didn't notice that the lights had changed
A crowd of people stood and stared
They'd seen my face before
But nobody was really sure if I was from the House of Lords

I had forgotten what I was guzzling down that night. Thanks for reminding me!
Old October 23rd, 2007, 08:28 PM   #24
John Savage
The Old Professor

Hi Joe,

"I think this case should go to an unbiased arbitrator...I nominate Mr. Savage!"

May it please Your Grace, but I think I am less sure of the answer to this question than I was before it was asked. Technically it would have been John Sears or John Neil who supplied the headstone, and the fact that the stone may have been placed on the wrong grave does not alter the fact that it was "supplied". (ie. if a company supplies goods to a customer and they are delivered to the wrong address, they are still the supplier).

I think it may be worth mentioning that in his book John Morrison says that he promised himself only three things, one being to erect a headstone on Mary Kelly's grave. This would suggest that he was involved in the matter prior to 1986 when the gravestone associated with him was erected. For this reason and his good intentions I feel that we should give Morrison the credit.

Magpie,

I am afraid I cannot make out anything like a Celtic cross on this stone, the picture in the book being the same as that I posted earlier.

Rgds
John
John Savage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 12:01 PM   #25
Joe Chetcuti
Former Member

"...I feel we should give Morrison the credit."

You're too late, John!!! Howard already rewarded me with a half-point on post #19 for my John Sears answer. That is a half-point for me, baby. A half-point for me.

Sorry Magpie, I didn't know you were a male!! Actually I've never thought of you in terms of male or female when your moniker appears. Instead I sort of think of you as a hearty dessert. You know...lemon pie, cherry pie, magpie, apple pie, etc.

I picture a magpie as something you'd see cooling on a window sill on a warm summer afternoon in Alabama.

"Hey Huckleberry, do you smell what I smell?"

"Sure do, Goober. Old lady Perkins next door is baking up another delicious magpie in her oven."

"Damn, that woman can cook."

Yeah I know a magpie is a bird, but I can't stop thinking about it being a southern pie served a la mode.

Right now Robert is searching the web to find where those lyrics that I previously posted originated. They were actually written by a talented 'rock n roll' band in Malta during the 1960's. Then four blokes from Liverpool swiped the music from them and made millions off of it.
Old October 24th, 2007, 01:23 PM   #26
Robert Linford
Researcher Extraordinaire

Hi Joe

That song was originally called A Day In The Pub but you're right, those Liverpool upstarts came along and swiped it.
Robert Linford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 04:10 PM   #27
Magpie
Researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Chetcuti View Post
Sorry Magpie, I didn't know you were a male!! Actually I've never thought of you in terms of male or female when your moniker appears. Instead I sort of think of you as a hearty dessert. You know...lemon pie, cherry pie, magpie, apple pie, etc.
Hey Joe, no problem--I've grown used to the confusion over the years

Bonus points for anyone who can say where my nickname comes from (hint: 20% of the answer is Fish).

Brits are more likely to be able to figure it out

Karen Trenouth
Old October 25th, 2007, 06:58 PM   #28
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Boy,are there a lotta dummies on this site...besides me.

Here is this week's latest edition of brain twistin' trivia....

1. Jurists at the Eddowes' Inquest castigated P.C.Long for not checking out the rooms within the Wentworth Building...

Why didn't he do so anyway?

2. You've heard of the Hardy Boys,right? Okay,then who was Sam Hardy?

3. Who did the Independent claim in 1993 was Shirley Harrison's husband? Hint: He is a member of this website.

4. There used to be a cozy little bar way down yonder in Buenos Aires,Argentina that was said to have been owned by JTR.

What was its name ( Que eso el nombre del cerveceria ?)

5. I won't go bilingual on youse this time,but...

What man said that no one knew more about the Whitechapel Murders than he did? He wasn't a member of this site...and he was a cop ( naturally...)

6. We know good old Charley Ludwig attacked a one armed prostitute...waved an Arkansas toothpick at a Jewish guy at a coffee stall....and got arrested for suspicion in the WM.

Why did they free this nutjob?

7. How many total pages did the scrapbook that the Diary was added into originally have?

8. We know Vincent Price, Jonathan Pryce,and the Price is Right....but who was Susannah Price and what did her last name turn into after she was married ?

I have 5 bucks that says no one gets three right.

Because you guys is dummies.
Old October 28th, 2007, 06:33 PM   #29
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

bump up
Old October 28th, 2007, 09:44 PM   #30
Magpie
Researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
Bonus points for anyone who can say where my nickname comes from (hint: 20% of the answer is Fish).

Brits are more likely to be able to figure it out
From Karen's latest diatribe, it looks like she won't be participating in this little puzzle, although I'm sure she'd give a big sloppy kiss to anyone who could guess correctly

Karen Trenouth