Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Newcomers Forum

Newcomers Forum Forum for newcomers to the mystery of Jack the Ripper and/or JTRForums.com

Old September 17th, 2015, 03:21 PM   #21
Anna Morris

I am supposing the man was taller, even Tumblety's height. Think about it. If a man inclined his head forward to better hear, observe or kiss a shorter woman, wouldn't he look a couple inches shorter? If he was in that position could his height be accurately described? I think not.

I am tall. If I want to hear something a five foot tall female friend says in a soft voice I slightly bend from the waste and slightly bend my knees. If such was observed in the dark would an observer assume I was merely 3 inches taller than the 5 foot woman instead of my full height of about 5' 9"?

Also, if the woman with the man observed by Lewende had heels on her boots it would mean something else in estimating height. Or what if she had raised onto her toes to better hear her companion or kiss him? I don't think the estimates of height in this case mean very much at all.
Old September 18th, 2015, 12:54 PM   #22
Anna Morris

I agree, Emanuele. Unless people have truly extreme height differences, a few inches here and there can be shaved by posture. Especially considering the article you have posted today (John Lardy's experience) about the man who was followed and changed clothes and donned a false moustache, there is no reason to rule out Tumblety with the woman.

People who are very tall also frequently have ways of making themselves look shorter, to better fit in. Think about teenagers who suddenly grow taller than all their friends. Some, to fit in, stoop or round their shoulders or whatever, to appear more "normal" in height. Undoubtedly a showman like Tumblety would have known a great many tricks to accomplish his goals at any given time.
Old September 18th, 2015, 04:57 PM   #23
Anna Morris

I have an idea Joseph Levy took a glance at the couple and recognised the man and thought no more about height. Alternately maybe he recognised the couple as a man and woman who worked together to rob people, judging by his concern about going home alone. I think Frances Coles may have been part of a couple/group/gang that did such things and this led to her end.

I don't think any of the three witnesses got a good estimate of height and their observations alone do not rule out Tumblety.