Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Newcomers Forum

Newcomers Forum Forum for newcomers to the mystery of Jack the Ripper and/or JTRForums.com

Old September 12th, 2015, 03:41 PM   #1
Emanuele Cianto

Post About William Henry Bury

Hi all,

I just found something I thought to be intersting, about Ripper suspect William Bury. That's quoted here.
From Casebook: Suspect Guide - William Henry Bury:

[On 7 April, only five days after they were married, Haynes, hearing Ellen screaming, rushed to her aid to find Bury kneeling on her attempting to cut her throat with a table knife which he was holding in his LEFT hand.] -Emphasys added-

Wasn't the Ripper right hander? And doesn't this prove Bury was left hender?
Thank you all.

Yours respectfully,
Emanuele
Emanuele Cianto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2015, 05:22 PM   #2
Anna Morris

I like William Bury as a suspect. There was a lot of discussion at the time about whether or not the Ripper was right or left handed or ambidextrous. It is inconclusive. I don't put much into worrying about which hand was dominant for the Ripper.
Old September 12th, 2015, 05:25 PM   #3
Emanuele Cianto

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Morris View Post
I like William Bury as a suspect. There was a lot of discussion at the time about whether or not the Ripper was right or left handed or ambidextrous. It is inconclusive. I don't put much into worrying about which hand was dominant for the Ripper.
Hi Anna,

thank you.
Old September 13th, 2015, 05:54 AM   #4
Stephen Collyer

I also think Bury is one of the more likely suspects.
Far more likely than an imbecile Jew who eats out of gutters, an egotistical, flamboyant American quack who was about 6 feet tall, or a suicidal toff who supposedly travels many miles to fit murders in between games of cricket in a part of London which he was highly unlikely to have been familiar with.
Stephen Collyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2015, 07:20 AM   #5
Emanuele Cianto

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Collyer View Post
I also think Bury is one of the more likely suspects.
Far more likely than an imbecile Jew who eats out of gutters, an egotistical, flamboyant American quack who was about 6 feet tall, or a suicidal toff who supposedly travels many miles to fit murders in between games of cricket in a part of London which he was highly unlikely to have been familiar with.
Hi Stephen,

And thank you for your answer.
I like him too but I think the fact he did not possess anatomical knowledge (the Ripper operated in dark places and in less than ten minutes he could remove a kidney and a uterus...) and the fact the murder of his wife shows many differences in relation to the Ripper murders places him in a lower position.

Yr,
Em
Old September 13th, 2015, 12:16 PM   #6
Anna Morris

Stephen: That's a wonderful comment! Hilarious. (I do think various investigators had various ideas and that is how we get that list of suspects.)

I think too much is made of anatomical knowledge. We forget in this day when we buy our meat in special cuts in the store, that back in 1888 people were much closer to slaughter and butchering. Lots of serial killers first abuse or kill animals. Granted there are some differences in animal and human anatomy; for instance compare the woman's uterus to the horns of the uterus in dogs and cats. I don't see why the Ripper could not have done what he did simply by exploration on human victims, after having had experience with cutting up animals.

I did find a comment on the Rippercast by Dr. W. W. Davies to be very interesting, about how a doctor cuts down the midline and to the right of the umbilicus. On the other hand I can post a description from one of Ann Rule's books, how a young killer here in the northwest USA took a broken beer bottle and made such a cut on his first victim. I always assumed Jack cut around the navel because it was there, not because of medical training.
Old September 29th, 2015, 05:32 PM   #7
Emanuele Cianto

Hi all,

Just to re-introduce Bury:
is it possible he killed Tabram?
His wife had 39 stab wounds in the lowest side of her body (just like Tabram); Ellen was first strangled (as - possibly - Tabram); Ellen was killed with a penknife (just like Tabram).

And then:
was Bury in Wolverhampton at the time of Tabram's death? - August 1888 -

Many thanks.

Regards,
Em