Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Newcomers Forum

Newcomers Forum Forum for newcomers to the mystery of Jack the Ripper and/or JTRForums.com

Old September 28th, 2014, 09:06 AM   #21
Cicatrice

Tom Cullen was also MY first Ripper book.. I just wish he'd been able to interview more people who were alive at the time of the murders - their memories may be faulty but it adds extra atmosphere to the case...I'll forgive him for the occasional error eg 'Fairy Fay' (unless it's recently been discovered that she did exist outside of a newspaper?)
I should just quickly repeat what I posted elsewhere - the reason I've signed up here is because I haven't been able to buy any new Ripper books for years as I have health and mobility problems which prevent me from going into town to get them and I can't buy online as I have no bank account (it's more difficult to open one in the UK than in the US ) and therefore no credit card etc So please forgive me if I ever post outdated 'facts' etc!
Old October 11th, 2014, 02:02 AM   #22
Cicatrice

One other book I enjoy is 'Inventing the Victorians' by Matthew Sweet - it debunks a lot of the cliches and stereotypes a lot of people still cling to about Victorians - Jack only gets a few pages (I'll forgive the author's error stating Mary Jane was foind in a upstairs room - could just be a typo though)...It's an easy to read book, unlike some other history books but it does show the Victorians in a different light and adds to the atmosphere surrounding Jack, I think..
Old October 11th, 2014, 02:49 AM   #23
Stephen Collyer

These were my initial purchases:

The Complete History - Sugden
The Lodger - Evans & Gainey
The Secret of Prisoner 1167 - Tully
Jack the Ripper the Simple Truth - Paley
Jack the Ripper & the Case for Scotland Yard's Prime Suspect - House

CSI Whitechapel is on my Christmas list.
Stephen Collyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2014, 03:43 AM   #24
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicatrice View Post
Tom Cullen was also MY first Ripper book.. I just wish he'd been able to interview more people who were alive at the time of the murders - their memories may be faulty but it adds extra atmosphere to the case...I'll forgive him for the occasional error eg 'Fairy Fay' (unless it's recently been discovered that she did exist outside of a newspaper?)
I should just quickly repeat what I posted elsewhere - the reason I've signed up here is because I haven't been able to buy any new Ripper books for years as I have health and mobility problems which prevent me from going into town to get them and I can't buy online as I have no bank account (it's more difficult to open one in the UK than in the US ) and therefore no credit card etc So please forgive me if I ever post outdated 'facts' etc!
You could open a PayPal account and purchase books using that, but most banks could offer a solution. Mobility problems make a card something of a necessity these days. And there is also the library. Some provide solutions for the housebound.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2014, 10:28 AM   #25
Cicatrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
You could open a PayPal account and purchase books using that, but most banks could offer a solution. Mobility problems make a card something of a necessity these days. And there is also the library. Some provide solutions for the housebound.
I always thought I needed a bank account/debit card to open a PayPal account? My problem is that I don't have the right ID to open an account...but I may have found a way, I just have a few things to sort out first. I'm not housebound, but I have good and bad days and on my 'good' days I have to catch up with all the boring everyday errands which leaves no room for fun stuff like book browsing!! I REALLY want to go to the conference next year but I'm worried in case I buy a ticket then can't make it I guess I'll just have to bully my doctor into giving me stronger pain meds for those few days! I was gutted when I discovered I missed the conference when it was in my home town! Thanks for the advice by the way
Old October 11th, 2014, 03:27 PM   #26
Paul

Quote:
I always thought I needed a bank account/debit card to open a PayPal account? My problem is that I don't have the right ID to open an account...but I may have found a way, I just have a few things to sort out first. I'm not housebound, but I have good and bad days and on my 'good' days I have to catch up with all the boring everyday errands which leaves no room for fun stuff like book browsing!! I REALLY want to go to the conference next year but I'm worried in case I buy a ticket then can't make it I guess I'll just have to bully my doctor into giving me stronger pain meds for those few days! I was gutted when I discovered I missed the conference when it was in my home town! Thanks for the advice by the way
No problem. I know what it's like to have mobility difficulties. The library is a good option for getting Ripper books, most of which you wouldn't want to own anyway.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2014, 09:17 PM   #27
Cicatrice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
No problem. I know what it's like to have mobility difficulties. The library is a good option for getting Ripper books, most of which you wouldn't want to own anyway.
Lol...I like owning any books about the Ripper; true crime; criminal psycholgy etc...but especially Ripper books as I'm what i call a compulsive 'marginalia maniac'!! The more I disagree with what's said or if it's badly researched or if the author has taken certain liberties with the facts (or 'ficts' as i call them lol), then the more likely I am to scribble furiously away in the margin; top or bottom of page or wherever I can find space - for me, personally, that's half the fun!!
Old October 11th, 2014, 09:26 PM   #28
Cicatrice

Quote:
Lol...I like owning any books about the Ripper; true crime; criminal psycholgy etc...but especially Ripper books as I'm what i call a compulsive 'marginalia maniac'!! The more I disagree with what's said or if it's badly researched or if the author has taken certain liberties with the facts (or 'ficts' as i call them lol), then the more likely I am to scribble furiously away in the margin; top or bottom of page or wherever I can find space - for me, personally, that's half the fun!!
...And if I did this in library books (I often do this without thinking) then I'd probably end up paying so much in fines that I may as well have bought the book in the first place! I also like to keep hold of them so that I can check up on certain things from time to time plus, checking a particular book's claims against known facts is a good way of helping to remember those facts - so it's possible to learn something from every account of the case whether it's accurate or not - and I enjoy learning as my signature suggests (but I need to learn on my own terms - I do not thrive in a school/college environment)
Old March 1st, 2016, 11:03 AM   #29
Chris G.

Here is what Paul Begg wrote about the Kindle edition of A to Z in free Ripperologist 148, newly available in the United States. If you don't subscribe to Ripperologist, send an email to contact@ripperologist.biz and specify kindle or pdf.

For info about RipperCon in Baltimore, MD,
April 7-8, 2018, go to http://rippercon.com/
Chris G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2017, 03:49 AM   #30
Beth Bennett

Default Thank you!

I hope it is okay to pop in this thread and say thank you to those who posted lists of books. I have been ordering more than I should, but several of the books are out of print, and I want to buy them while they are available from the used book sellers.

Thanks again,
Beth
Beth Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote