Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > General Help Request & Items For Sale Forum

General Help Request & Items For Sale Forum Researchers and the general public place your wants and items you wish to sell or trade here

Old November 3rd, 2016, 09:40 AM   #1
Gary Barnett

Default Help Request/Slaughterman Letter

Can anyone point me in the direction of the letter supposedly sent by a slaughterman that contained drawings of a coffin and a dagger?

I'm sure I've seen it on here somewhere.
Gary Barnett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2016, 09:51 AM   #2
Robert Linford
Researcher Extraordinaire

You can see it here, Gary :

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/...ktheripper.pdf
Robert Linford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2016, 09:58 AM   #3
Gary Barnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Linford View Post
Thanks, Robert.
Old November 3rd, 2016, 12:07 PM   #4
Anna Morris

I probably shouldn't interject this here, but the description sounds like a letter Patricia Cornwell said Sickert created. I DO think she may be right about Sickert creating some of the letters. WWD also said Sickert was fascinated by JtR.
Old November 3rd, 2016, 12:20 PM   #5
Gary Barnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Morris View Post
I probably shouldn't interject this here, but the description sounds like a letter Patricia Cornwell said Sickert created. I DO think she may be right about Sickert creating some of the letters. WWD also said Sickert was fascinated by JtR.
Of course you can interject, Anna.

I'm looking into how the 'slaughterman theory' waxed and waned between Nichols and the double event.
Old November 3rd, 2016, 04:57 PM   #6
Sean Crundall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Barnett View Post
Can anyone point me in the direction of the letter supposedly sent by a slaughterman that contained drawings of a coffin and a dagger?

I'm sure I've seen it on here somewhere.
Hi Gary,

I recall reading somewhere that Warren retained a number of letters (supposedly hoax letters) sent to him at the height of the murders. He regarded these letters as amusing, had them framed, and hung them on the wall of his home. One such letter depicted a coffin. The current whereabouts of these letters is unknown. It's possible that the Sept. 24, 1888 letter, which includes a "silhouette" of a coffin, was sent by the same person.

Tracking down the disposal of Warren's estate may prove a fruitful avenue of research; he was a religious diary keeper, who also made notes on all aspects of his careers. I'd be very surprised if Warren didn't hold definite opinions regarding the murders, and didn't record these opinions somewhere.

My regards,

Sean.
Sean Crundall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2016, 05:52 PM   #7
Gary Barnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Crundall View Post
Hi Gary,

I recall reading somewhere that Warren retained a number of letters (supposedly hoax letters) sent to him at the height of the murders. He regarded these letters as amusing, had them framed, and hung them on the wall of his home. One such letter depicted a coffin. The current whereabouts of these letters is unknown. It's possible that the Sept. 24, 1888 letter, which includes a "silhouette" of a coffin, was sent by the same person.

Tracking down the disposal of Warren's estate may prove a fruitful avenue of research; he was a religious diary keeper, who also made notes on all aspects of his careers. I'd be very surprised if Warren didn't hold definite opinions regarding the murders, and didn't record those opinions somewhere.

My regards,

Sean.
Hi Sean,

You've been quiet recently, good to see you back on the case. This is the letter I was looking for:

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 30
Size:  198.4 KB

Just another spoof JTR letter, whether written by Sickert or not, but interesting to me as evidence of the currency of the 'slaughterman theory'.

Gary
Old November 3rd, 2016, 06:46 PM   #8
Sean Crundall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Barnett View Post
Hi Sean,

You've been quiet recently, good to see you back on the case. This is the letter I was looking for:

Attachment 17036

Just another spoof JTR letter, whether written by Sickert or not, but interesting to me as evidence of the currency of the 'slaughterman theory'.

Gary
Hi Gary,

Agreed! Very interesting.

I've been busy writing, mate.

I'm familiar with this letter although I've never been convinced of the killer having written letters, but you never know.

As for Sickert having written letters; well, it's possible. He certainly had an interest in the case, and was possessed of a dark sense of humour. I think he would been amused to have known that some people (today) suspect him of having committed, or of having been complicit in, the crimes.

My regards,

Sean.
Sean Crundall is online now   Reply With Quote