Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Registration and Assistance

Registration and Assistance A "How To " by How

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old April 16th, 2011, 07:29 PM   #21
admin tim

Quote:
So next week I will put the hard drive back in the old computer and see if it will work again.
The smart thing to do is to get an external enclosure for that hard drive that will in essence turn it into an external hard drive that can talk to your new computer via USB or firewire. These enclosures cost about $25 US. Lots less trouble, and you can use the enclosure to house a new hard drive afterwards and use it as a back-up device.
admin tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2011, 08:47 PM   #22
John Savage
The Old Professor

Hi Howard,

It's not a problem, a computer virus is like a cold - you can catch it anywhere, and I was already thinking of updating my computer. As my mother used to say "worse things happen at sea" (and she was right too)

Thanks for your advice Tim, the device I have sounds to be the same as what you describe as an external enclosure and only cost GBP10. I shall play about with it next week and let you know what happens. Good idea to use it as a back up device with a new hard drive - thanks.

Rgds
John
John Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2011, 08:01 AM   #23
Chris Scott
Author & Researcher

Hi folks
My main PC is offline - the onset was exactly as How described.
I was using browser 3 days ago when suddenly just everything froze. When I did a restart all I got was a black screen with a single flashing cursor top left.
Unable to get into safe mode.
My normal standby in case of crashes (Winternals ERD Commander) was unable to help so I ran Kaspersky 10 recovery disk. This reported a "rootdisk" infection and after a lot of fiddling around and running checks on Kaspersky I managed to get Windows back. But a check reported that over 21,300 files had been fragmented. I am slowing trying to rebuild what i can of these but it looks as though a fair amount of research material has been lost for good.
All the checks I have done have not put a name to this infection but it is an SOB whatever it is!
I amcurrently using a rudimentary borrowed PC but at least I can get on line.
Chris
Chris Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2011, 08:12 AM   #24
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Chris:

Two things :
1. If you are like me and upon starting up your computer, you already have a flash drive or two ( I had a 500 Gb and 15Gb flash) plugged into your USB port....pull it or them out before you start up your computer. I manually shut the computer off twice in the last 24 hours...unplugged the 15gGb flash and then started it up with zero problem.

2. I am very sorry about this situation, Chris.... Tim ( who will read this,I'm sure ) can contact our people and ask them if there is any way a bug or glitch is inside the data base.
Old April 17th, 2011, 08:42 AM   #25
Chris Scott
Author & Researcher

Hi how
Please no apologies amigo
Not your fault, not anyone's fault - just one of those things :-))
Chris Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2011, 09:13 AM   #26
Robert Linford
Researcher Extraordinaire

It's the only way How can win the caption comp - throw everyone but himself offline.
Robert Linford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2011, 11:18 AM   #27
String
innocent bystander & former captionmeister

I think you are on the right track here Robert.
I have a new conspiracy theory.
How infects all the members computers with a virus that specifically looks for any caption entries being written. The virus sends said captions to Howard and he puts them in as his before the member can. The outage today is also part of the cunning plan as now How can see what you are typing when you vist the site.
Unfortunately for Howard the program gives itself away on the users screen in the form of a tiny Howard face that floats about. If you see the tiny Howard face quickly type Nina and it will run away.
String is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2011, 11:41 AM   #28
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Thats it ! I had enough of the two of youse...
I'm sending over my microcephalic cousin, the geek ( one who swallows rodents and birds raw) to kick both of yer arses...

Old April 18th, 2011, 09:41 AM   #29
Caroline Morris
Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by How Brown View Post
Just in case....I've changed my password on AOL from "Cazwillultimatelysubmittomywill" to a new one...."Stringisthegreatestguyever".
If I'd known I could have warned you, Howie. Nothing good ever comes to those who try to make Caz submit to their will. They don't call her Caz Straits for nothing.
Old April 18th, 2011, 12:31 PM   #30
John Savage
The Old Professor

Hi Howard,

Having removed the virus that was found on the hard disk I put the hard drive back in the computer, which then ran it's own recovery programme and now it is working again.

This thread has been a great help in solving the problem, so thanks to you and everyone else who has posted.

Rgds
John
John Savage is offline   Reply With Quote