Jack The Ripper Forums  - Ripperology For The 21st Century  

Go Back   Jack The Ripper Forums - Ripperology For The 21st Century > Newcomers Forum

Newcomers Forum Forum for newcomers to the mystery of Jack the Ripper and/or JTRForums.com

Old September 25th, 2014, 08:06 PM   #1
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Default **Best Books & Other Materials For Newcomers To Ripperology**

On rare occasions, Tom Wescott has an excellent idea.
Actually, TC has a lot of those.

This thread is for folks, worldwide, to offer up 5-10 books, documentaries, or other materials, which they recommend for newcomers to Ripperology.

Recommendations which are founded in those materials which assist newcomers in ways long time Ripperologists did not have.
Old September 25th, 2014, 08:17 PM   #2
Tom_Wescott
Researcher and Award Winning Author

Default The Only list you'll need

I'm afraid all the old fogies will throw up Rumbelow. Just a friendly reminder for those so inclined. It ain't 1985.

And Sugden would make a good third or fourth book because it's large and detailed. As much as WE may love it, for the average Joe, it's not the best first book. Same with The Facts, in my opinion.

After Sugden comes 'Ultimate' and Stewart P. Evans' other tomes.

Then just when you think you've got a handle on it all, The Bank Holiday Murders.

First however, CSI Whitechapel, followed by The Forgotten Victims by the same authors to get a decent well-rounded view of the Whitechapel Murders.

But let's be honest, newbies will do exactly what we did way back when and head right to the suspect books. I can't blame them because those are the most fun when you're new. So, the list I provide is really for those who've read a bunch of suspect books and are 'hooked' and now want to study the time, crimes and area on a more intimate level. Not everyone will and they'll just want to read the suspect books for fun. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
Tom_Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2014, 08:28 PM   #3
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

Oh..so what you're saying is.... a hypodermical situation here.... we want Mr Newbie go out with this woman...wine and dine her...develop a relationship...get married...and whammo ! The facacta schlub wakes up realizing he was building up this relationship with her ambassador and not the real deal. Its cheetos for supper and no more hanging out with his pals...

You spoil sport sumbitch, you.

Old September 25th, 2014, 09:37 PM   #4
JMenges
Former Member

Also the subject of this weekend's Rippercast.

And coincidentally, Rumbelow was the first Ripper book I read, circa 1985.

JM
JMenges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2014, 05:17 AM   #5
Lynn Cates
Researcher & Author

Default ultimately speaking

Hello Tom. Think you pretty well nailed it.

If one really wishes to get a handle on the killings, go straight to "The Ultimate."

Cheers.
LC
Lynn Cates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2014, 10:26 AM   #6
Cicatrice

My favourites include 'The Uncensored Facts' (although my copy is missing ) and I find 'The Ultimate Jack the Ripper Sourcebook' is useful but both may be a little too dry for newcomers so the A-Z may be better for them...I think that a lot of books involving a particular theory should be taken with a liberal pinch of salt as they often contain what I call 'ficts' - either omitted/twisted or invented 'facts' used to bolster that author's theory...
Old September 27th, 2014, 11:22 AM   #7
Curryong

As a very new newbie can I list my reading material on Jack over the years?

The first book I ever read on JTR as a teenager was Cullen's 'Autumn of Terror' and Odell's 'Jack the Ripper in Fact and Fiction', both picked up in second hand book stores.

Then came 'Jack the Ripper A-Z' by Begg, Fido et al; then (I think) 'The Ripper Legacy' by Howells and Skinner. (I've read my Jack A-Z so much over the years that the covers have dropped off and I've ordered another copy.)

Somewhere in the 1980's I purchased Donald Rumbelow's 'The Complete Jack the Ripper'. I read Knight's 'The Final Solution' (which wasn't, and I don't have it any more.)

I have Sugden's 'The Complete History of Jack the Ripper' and I like it so much I've got an old copy and new edition. 'The London of Jack the Ripper then and now' I've always found handy.

I walked what remains of some of those streets when I was very young. I've just bought the JTR Sourcebook for my Kindle last week.
Curryong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2014, 11:31 AM   #8
Howard Brown
Proprietor-Administrator

(I've read my Jack A-Z so much over the years that the covers have dropped off and I've ordered another copy.)
-Curryong-

Me too, Curry....but mine fell off because Paul Begg was too cheap to go to a reputable publisher for good binding.

Seriously, I'm on my second soft cover and keeping my hard copy pristine ( very unusual for me ) because my dear friend Paul Kearney gave it to me. Paul ( Nemo on JTRForums ) passed away in February of this year to all our loss.
Old September 27th, 2014, 12:21 PM   #9
Curryong

Wink

Hi Howard, I'm sorry to hear of the loss of Paul/Nemo. I'm sure he's missed by all regular posters on this forum.

In spite of Paul Begg's cheapness (I hope he doesn't read this forum on a regular basis) I still treasure the JTR A-Z!
Curryong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2014, 12:42 PM   #10
Tom_Wescott
Researcher and Award Winning Author

Holy crap, I totally forgot to add A-Z to my list, didn't I?

One note - ONLY get The Comprehensive A-Z, published in 2010. It replaces earlier editions.

I wasn't aware it was in paperback? I thought only the old editions were. And dammit they need to put out a Kindle edition.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
Tom_Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote